Quacker Talk-June 20202020-06-01T14:04:00-04:00

Home Forums General Quacker Chatter Quacker Talk-June 2020

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      First of all I want to pray for this nation and hope that the protests will come to a peaceful conclusion. I wish we all could come to realize and recognize that we are all the same no matter what we look like. We want to be safe, we want our children to be safe, we want food on the table and a roof over our heads. We want the opportunity for our children to pursue an education so they have job opportunities to enable them to become a contributing member of society. We want everyone to feel safe in all places at all times. We are all people-we are all mankind-no matter race, creed or color. I pray there will be positive changes moving forward so no mother has to fear for the life of her son. We are all people-human beings created by God in his image.
      DD, I hope that you are safe as you are the one who lives in an actual city. Let us know.
      Barbara, that is cute the way Dodger eats his corn just like a person. I wonder how he figured that out? lol
      I have never been to the Peabody but it is on my list of places I would like to see. I love the places that have the piano players. There is a department store Von Mauers that has that and sometimes i just go sit in one of the chairs and listen. It’s so soothing-especially because they play a lot of show tunes and I am a Broadway nut. A couple of our local restaurants have a piano player but it is always hit and miss as to when they will actually be there.
      Adele, I have had swimmer’s ear and it hurts! I have never heard of eczema in a person’s ears-that’s a new one. How would you even treat that. I wonder what he means by spots on the tonsils. I know when I get tonsillitis I get spots but those are actually pus bags. Ick! Gross huh? And I always get an antibiotic for that-so these must be different spots. I was wondering does Heather wear a night guard fr the TMJ? I grind my teeth and I have a night guard which I have never been able to get used to so it is worn intermittently.
      We had our grocery store run on Saturday. got most things. Still had a hard time getting chicken breasts-even frozen but they did give me chicken tenders so i will have to make my planned recipes with that. It’s hard when someone else is doing the shopping-if I were doing it myself I could make substitutions on the fly but it doesn’t work like that with pick up. This was the first trip we made since right before Easter so we went six weeks without shopping. We really lasted a long time. I don’t think I’ll wait that long between future trips though. Our refrigerator and freezer are packed now though.
      I think this month we may start doing some pick up meals. I have cooked every day since this started in mid March and I am weary.
      Greg did golf yesterday and has decided to join the league again this year. He just won’t go into the clubhouse or anything for a beer afterwards. I figure it’s one of the safer things a person can do as you are outside and don’t have to get within six feet of each other. And a person has to slowly start to get out and do things. You guys have seen your kids and grands and we have not even done that yet. Baby steps.
      We started watching Celebrity Family Feud but then it got interrupted with coverage of Chicago riots. I could only watch that for a little while as it was both scary and sad.
      Colleen, I hope that you get your pool usable soon. I have this little thing that pops the seals on the jars-it’s a lifesaver. I have several little tools for opening bottle and jars as my hands have been week for quite a while with the RA.
      Colleen, you are right-compared to some of the celebrity houses of today Graceland is not as grand as one would have imagined. I liked the jungle room. How come you didn’t go inside with the rest of your group? Back when we went they had the self guided tours with I think like cassette tapes or something-that shows how long ago it was. I’ll bet now they have an app for it or something. We went through and went on the airplane and saw all the cars. I don’t remember a restaurant so we must not have gone to it. That was a trip we took when we were on the way from a wedding in Little Rock to a vacation in Pigeon Forge.
      Adele, I have one of those uncrimping can openers but mine is an electric one. I like it as the cans aren’t sharp then.
      Colleen, the Q does have a battery run jar opener but it doesn’t have the best revues as I looked into it once.
      Gail
      Stay safe-stay healthy

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

couldn’t post my original peace image so will try some different ones.

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

We were kinda cold last night for June 1st. It was 45 degrees. I struggled because I did not want to run the heat again so just put on more clothes. Last week we had humidity & I was soaking wet. Weather seems to be all over the place.

All the violence is awful. I don’t know why they make everything racial. As it does not matter what the persons color,
      it is the same and is wrong.

People are no longer listening here as to wearing masks & social distance. I think beauty shops are opening soon. I have heard only 1 person inside at a time. Won’t be a problem for me as my hairdresser works part time & not too busy. There has never been more than she & I when I went before. So I don’t know if she will be busy now that she was closed for so long. I need to call when she opens as I really need a cut.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I was never a big Elvis Presley fan. I liked his music and some of his movies but just was not interested in going thru the house. The land around the house was really pretty. I did enjoy walking around and looking at the other things that they had there. I did go thru the gift shop and the restaurant. We walked around the grounds where the plane was but when we were there you could not go thru the plane.
      I need to find something to open jars. I am getting to where I can not open things like I use to. I have used rubber bands to get them open with but they are not working as well for me as they did. Thanks for the information about the jar opener on the Q. I had not seen them before and was getting ready to look them up.
      That is nice that Greg got to go play golf. That is nice that the golf courses are open again. It is a safe place to go because you do not have to get close to people. Did Greg wear a mask while playing or do they leave them off? It seems like if you are outside you would not need the mask. I am not sure what the rule is for that.
      This is sad all the violence that is going. I do not understand why they have to burn and loot businesses. We had a peaceful protest in St. Louis today. They were at the arch and it was peaceful and they got their point across. I just wish that mor of these people would do this.
      We are going to work on getting the pool open this week-end. It is supposed to be warmer this week-end so a better time to clean it out. I have to get some cleaning things. I was trying to find someone to come over and clean it for us but cannot find anyone.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gailster
      Very well said. I have nothing to add accept…. ditto. Amen
      Our TV was interrupted too and we watched in horror until about 1:00 am
      This country is a mess. I fear we are on the brink of a civil war. You cannot have a president threatening to shoot citizens in the street. This is America for Gods sake. Standing in front of a church holding a Bible does not make you a God fearing man. As far as I am concerned God should have struck him with lightning
      They had a name for the spots in her tonsils. I just can’t remember it. Lol
      On the positive side… Tillie snd Zi got the blue star shirt snd the aqua cardigan. We both wanted the black one but it was sold out
      Hope you have a good day. Pray this country stops the violence and can get to the table to discuss and affect change
      God help us all.
      Adele
      Ps. How was Gregs golfing outing??

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      It’s going to be hot here today. In the lower 90’s.
      I hope you can get in to get a haircut. My stylist opened back up I believe-but I figured I would not try to fight all the people clamoring to get back in in June.In July she is going on vacation for two weeks so she will be really busy before she goes. So I guess it will be August before I can get in-I will probably have three inches of gray by then-but who sees me now anyway? I guess Greg does but he could care less. lol
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      I am glad your area is safe. I was worried about you snd DD
      It sounds like your hairdresser will be fine. Just try to remember not to touch your face while you are there. I think that us really hard as we donut without realizing we are doing it
      It was real chilly the last two days up here too.
      Hope you have a good day
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I always liked Elvis-not the screaming fainting kind of like but I did enjoy him and thought he had that charisma that drew people to him. You are right, Graceland is built on a beautiful piece of property-I remember the trees all around.
      Greg didn’t wear a mask while golfing but they all stay far apart. It would be hard to wear-I think as we all know a mask is kind of hot as we are breathing right into it. It gives me more respect than I already had for health care workers wearing that protective gear hour after hour day after day.
      I will be praying for peace and positive change going forward.
      Here is a picture of a jar popper that I have. It works well.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Did you see that there have been peaceful protests all across the world? It’s quite moving. I’m starting to see more of the peaceful protesters saying they don’t want or have anything to do with the burners and looters-so hopefully those types of protests will stop. Those seem to be people with a whole different agenda-like chaos. The peaceful protesters want changes to the current systems and want to do it through legal methods. I just don’t know how you change the hearts and minds of people-I hope there will be a way.
      I have had my eye on that star shirt too. I’m still thinking about it.
      If you think of the name of the spots on the tonsils write it down-I’m curious about all things medical. Or just nosy. lol
      Greg enjoyed golfing-probably because it got him away after being locked up with me for 2and 1/2 months. lol
      He decided to join golf league again this year after all-I can’t blame him as it’s something he really enjoys and we will still be cooped up enough this summer without a lot of things to look forward to doing. So he may as well get out because before we know it winter will be here again and we will be forced indoors again. The only thing good about that will be the hope of being closer to a vaccine.
      Does the aqua cardigan have a flamingo? what did the black one have?
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail, You sure have the heat. It was cold again this morning & we had some rain. We have not had any 90 degree weather yet.

I just wanted to tell you the Lifestyle collection now has socks. I did not know if you saw them.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      Heather missed us, so she is spending the night here….LOL the spots on the tonsils are called tonsil stones. i have never heard of them before today.
      The cardigan does have flamingos in them. the black one was REAL pretty and had some flowers on the bottom. I love anything Americana, so that is why I get the shirts with stars and stripes, etc. I have a stars and stripes red, white and blue short form Denim and Co on wait list. I hope it comes in. They do have that shirt in blue and one in black, but I do not like those as much.

They are having protests in Boston again tonight. I am praying nothing bad happens again. There are thousands of people in Franklin Park- near the zoo- they are all peacefully chanting. I hope the violent element doe snto take over again after dark. It is almost dark here right now.

Did you see Joe Biden’s speech today? Very moving, and what a leader is supposed to say. I saw all the clergy speak on their disgust at #45 having the police clear out the street with smoke bombs so he could walk across to the church ( which he probably has never gone inside in his life) to hold up a Bible. How about read it? I am sure there are some messages from God in there that should speak to his actions.

I hope you have a good night…AGT on, of they do not cover the protesters all night long again.
      Hope Greg has fun golfing.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      I just saw those as I was peeking at the baby clothes. I wish they owuld say if they are not tight, so they will fit my chubby ankles….LOL
      I got the baby a onesie and bib with the Patriotic colors. The one with the duck…LOL
      It is supposed to be warm tomorrow. I hope you get a nice day too!!
      Don’t forget AGT tonight!!!!!
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      The jar popper looks interesting. I have never seen one of those before. Where did you find it? I need something to help to open jars. I have seen those jar openers on tv but wonder if they really work like they say. You just put it on top of the jar and it does all the work.
      That is good that they did not make the guys wear masks while they are golfing. It would be hard to wear them while playing and hot. I do not see how all the medical people wear them and people that work in stores wear them. They would get in the way. It seems like it would make it hard to breath.
      Everything in St. Louis had been so peaceful and quite and then last night they went crazy. They were looting and burning and shooting people. They shot our old police chief that was working as a night guard at a pawn shop. They also had a group that broke into a gun shop. These people are not the regular protesters they are a group that is trying to cause problems in this country. I just hope they get this under control. It is like the Vietnam protests and people got so violent. I just keep praying that this will stop.
      Well that is all from here. Have a good night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

I don’t even know what to say. What a sad time.
      Adele I hope Heather begins to feel better real soon. Those bumps on her tonsils sound painful I know swimmers ear is. I had that as a teenager and Jerry in his twenties. I remember we both were on antibiotics for quite a while. It messed with my equilibrium so I was very dizzy. Poor Heather. But once I took all the antibiotics I finally got better.
      Jerry and I went to a private party at Graceland one night, and we were very fortunate in they gave us as much time as we wanted to just walk around and look. I remember standing at the foot of the staircase gazing upstairs thinking this was their home; where they laughed, cried, had holidays, ate their meals etc. and I sort of felt I was invading their privacy. I could just imagine Elvis bounding down those stairs, hugging his family and smiling. I feel really honored having worked for the only place that carries his name in the world. There is a huge painting in the lobby of the trauma center. He was very handsome, and mischievous from all I heard. I met many of his backup singers/band. Very interesting people with great stories.
      Colleen, Walmart here in our little town is closing early now. We are having a hard time getting beef and chicken. We have quite a bit of canned soup, peanut butter, crackers, eggs, some sausage and bacon in freezer. So we can make it for a while on this. Jerry got us a watermelon last week, cut it up in chunks yesterday and put in gallon zip bags. We need fruit and veg. so bad but this will help. Are you all having problems? By the way I have one of those lid poppers from Q like Gail and love it.
      Sue, we are hot here. We had to turn our AC on last week. I am not looking forward to our next electric bill. But thankfully you don’t have to deal with ice/snow right now. How many months do you usually experience less than 40* temperature?
      Better go. Hope everyone is safe.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Well we had all those peaceful protesters during and then last night it all went crazy. They were looting and burning it was awful. We need to pray for all those misguided people that are doing this. They are not grieving for the man that got killed they are doing this to be destructive. They broke into a gun shop and took all kinds of guns. This has got to end or there will be a lot of bad things happening.
      I liked those sweaters that you are talking about. I liked the one with the flowers but not the flamingos. They had some cute things but were kind of expensive. I bought my first top from Brook Sheilds collection. I just got it on clearance and it is cute. I have not worn it yet so do not know how it fits.
      They are enforcing a curfew now and that is a good idea. If they can get the peaceful protesters off the streets they will not get arrested or mistaken for the violent protesters. I really feel bad for the police right now. They are doing the best that they can and everyone is talking out against them. They are beating up on them and shooting them. It was one cop and the guys that he was working with that did that not every cops on the force. He has been arrested and I am sure the others will be in trouble also. They told my son-in-law not to wear his uniform to work now. A lot of the recruiting offices have been closed because of the riots. They have to be careful are they will shot or the office will be set on fire. I just pray that these men will be safe.
      I think all we can do right now is pray. Stay safe.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      We can get ground beef but they are charging $6.00 a pound. I could do not believe that they are raising the prices as high as they are. I hope that they can get it stopped soon it is not right that they are doing that. I am not sure what time they are closing our stores here. They may be closing early just have not been out in the evening for awhile. I know that they are only letting so many people in the store at a time.
      I am going to have to check on the q and see if I can get one. I would like to try something. I just hope that they are still selling them. I will check them out after I get off here.
      That must have been interesting talking to those guys that use to be in his band. I bet that they had a lot of things to say about their time with Elvis and what it was like. I bet they had some good times and then some rough times. It must have been horrible having to fight your way thru the screaming fans. One thin that really bothered me is when he was performing and he would be sweating and wipe his sweat on a rag and those women would fight over it. I would not want one of those smelly old things. That is disgusting.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I just posted on the May thread. Ooooops. I hope you can find it. I dont know if I can forward it to June or not.
      I’m okay. The protests were downtown, away from where I am.
      take care.
      dd

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      Thank you for the heads up on the sox. I’m wearing sandals now so I am not in the market. Maybe in the fall. In fact, since I’m home most of the time and in the house I am barefoot-so I will save money on shoes this year. lol
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I think I got my original popper like that from the Q. I know I bought one for a friend at a kitchen store. But the picture for the one I posted says it was at WalMart-so I would try there first.
      It seems like the protests for the most part are peaceful and I hope they remain so. I think there are some agitators who try to make it violent for their own agenda-which has nothing to do with what is being protested.
      I think all these young people coming together will make the world and this country a better place. I think the younger generation has a whole more open minded way of seeing people and I think it bodes well for the future of this country and the world. Hopefully your little Grayson will grow up in a better world where there will be no more need for peaceful protesting since everyone will be treated equally. I too am praying for peace and hope for the future.
      I am also hoping that the protests will not bring a big influx of new covid19 cases.
      I too don’t know how those medical people can wear those masks and suits and gloves hour after hour day after day. They are beyond dedicated. We wore gloves to unpack groceries and by the time we were done our hands were soaking with sweat.
      I forgot-did you get the AC going-I hope so as we have had ours on for about a week now.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      How interesting to have met back up singers and band members from Elvis’ group. I’ll bet they have a lot of interesting stories to tell. I would like to see that mural-maybe I can find a picture online.
      Funny that you mentioned watermelon. I wanted one on our last store trip but all they had was the already cut up ones in containers and they were expensive-so maybe I can get one on our next grocery run in a couple of weeks. The kids just love summer watermelons. I love to see them gobble it up.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

DD,
      Glad to hear you are doing well and safe.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I think Jenny had tonsil stones when she was younger. I will have to ask her as my memory is hazy.
      I actually liked the Flamingo cardigan better than the other-I liked the flowers but black is so hot in the summer-I like the lighter colors better. I know this is getting picky but to me it is like fingernails on a chalkboard when Jayne Brown pronounces it flaminco instead of flamingo. I know picky picky picky-but every time I hear it I cringe and correct her out loud to the TV. lol
      I like Americana too and the design on that new shirt looks interesting. I have a few Denim and Co. red white and blue tees. They are nice-I hope you get yours-I just got one delivered yesterday-it’s probably the same one you ordered.
      Greg is out at the town square in the next town over interviewing the guy for work. The picture in my head is kind of comical-him wearing a mask and then I’m expecting him to open his trenchcoat(if he was wearing one lol) and showing a bunch of stolen watches pinned inside. lol actually, I believe he went to the interview wearing shorts and carrying a bag of asparagus for the people at work-that’s a first. lol
      Last night we got a call from work saying that they had heard that there would be riots in that town so the guy there talked to the police and they recommended sending the night shift home so their cars wouldn’t possibly get damaged-so that’s what they did. I don’t know if anything happened there last night or not-hopefully it was a peaceful protest and not a riot. Greg will find out as Jim is meeting him at the interview this morning too. That really scared me as we own the building that the factory is in and we sure wouldn’t want any burning or looting of the factory. It’s in a fairly small town but I guess at this time anything is possible.
      Greg just got a Facebook message from Brent that he had been sent to a plant in Iowa to work for two weeks. I guess they were short handed there-I don’t know if it is because of the virus or what-you know men they never ask the right questions-so I guess I will have to email him and get the scoop. lol
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Thoughts

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I will have to look at Wal Mart and see if I can find one. I hope that they still sell them. If not maybe they will have something else to take its place. I really need to find something.
      It is really starting to irritate me about these rioters. They told my son in law not to wear his uniform when he goes into work. He will be a target foe these people. They are just shooting any one that is wearing a uniform. All these men are doing is going to work and trying to make money to raise their families. I feel bad for all the police and fireman that have to worry every time they go on a call. It is really sad.
      Your hands can break out from wearing those gloves.You have to make sure that you have the right kind. The latex gloves really bother some people. The mask can get hot also.
      I hope everything went well for Greg today. I hope that he hired the man and he does a good job. It was smart to send those guys home so their cars did not get damaged or they got hurt.
      Those pictures of the nurses and doctors is really good. It does describe them. Well that is about all from here. Have a good night.
      Colleem

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      Even if WalMart doesn’t carry those jar poppers anymore you should be able to find them online. I would bet Amazon has them-they have everything. They have been a godsend to me during this lock down. I have bought tons of stuff from them. I have a whole collection of jar poppers, bottle and can openers-all to make opening stuff easier. I guess we need this stuff as we get older. I remember my Mom used to complain about not being able to open stuff and I used to roll my eyes-well now I’m in that same boat-I wish I had been more sympathetic. lol
      It’s funny at the dentist they usually try to wear the non latex gloves because some people have allergies and i always ask them to wear the latex ones if they can because I can’t stand the taste of the other ones. They have it marked in my chart-I think.
      It seems like the majority of the marches are peaceful now so that is a good thing.
      Illinois is opening back up. Restaurants can have outside dining. dentists are back open and i think hair stylists and barbers too and I don’t know what all else. We are still staying home so it doesn’t affect us much one way or the other.
      Because I am a member at the little theater where we go to see concerts in the summer they sent me a free code to watch the concert this weekend on line. So we watched that last night. It was a Beatles cover band-we saw them at a charity event about 12 years ago. It was something different to do. Of course the quality of the live stream is proportionate to how good your internet connection is. Ours was okay-we did have a few bufferings and some break ups but at least it was something different to do. It sounded like the crowd inside was pretty small. They have temperature checks on the way in-the seats are at a social distance-lots of hand sanitizing-you have to wear a mask during the performance you have to leave row by row as you are released. It’s a small place that only seats about 250 so with social distancing you can probably have less than half of that. We will probably buy the live steam for some of their other shows to try and help keep them in business during all this because we would hate to see them go under. We so enjoy going there under normal circumstances. At this point I’d rather watch at home where I can be safe and without a mask. I also see on the schedule that some of the groups coming in have postponed so they may not even have all the concerts that were originally on their schedule. A lot of the people who normally attend maybe 60% seem to be in the 60 and up category so I’m thinking there will be many like us who prefer to watch in the safety of our homes. I pray all the time for a vaccine by next year.
      Greg starts golf league tomorrow. This afternoon he has another meeting in a park. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Ho Barbara
      Thank you. Heather is feeling better. They said the TMJ is probably causing the ear issues because her jaw is so bad.
      I feel so bad for her because she had way more issues than I had at her she age. I’m afraid forget when she gets older
      That must have been a great visit at aGraceland. How cool to be able to walk around just like they did when they lived there!! Wow!
      It has been hot up here. Better today. I must have been nuts planting some of the window boxes yesterday. My face is still swollen and I did not feel so good today. I will wait until the weather is better to finish the last three window boxes!!
      Hope you have a good night. Are you going to watch Grease??
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen
      I will say extra prayers for your SIL to stay safe. U here they are afraid protestors are getting the addresses of the police. This is not good on so many levels. It is awful for the man who got killed and his family. It is also awful for all the good police officers. Just like with the protestors and looters there are a handful of bad police and the rest are good
      I wish they could sort out the trouble makers at the protests before they start trouble. So scary. I would be a wreck if anyone here was a police officer
      On the other hand I am worried about Jhonny and Aizen. JJ is light skinned like Steph. Little Aizen is more like his Dad. We should not have to worry about Aizen being stoped by police when he grows up. Very troubling
      I hope your night goes well. Glad you are both safe!!
      Adele I’ll

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      Omg. I hope nothing happens to your business and all the workers will remain safe. Nit good time right now. That was good to let the night shift stay home. Very scary times
      I hoe Brent will be safe where they sent him. Did he finish all the paperwork for his house? I can’t remember!! Lol
      Wow. jJenny had those tonsil stones too? I guess they are more common that you realize
      It was gross up here. Now the weather is better. Please read the posts to the girls for all the updates. Trying to hurry to watch 60 Minutes. Lol
      Have a good night. Please stay safe!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gail. Thoughts on what?? Lol
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gail
      How have Gregs meetings in the park been going? Dies he feel safe going there alone? I hope all is good there
      Please stay safe
      I’m glad you have not gone to any social distancing plays yet. Those would get me nervous. Still too many people all together
      I am concerned the numbers will go back up due to the protests. I don’t want to see any more people die
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hope you all have had a good weekend. It has been very hot and humid here. We rode through a small park by the Navy base right outside our little town this afternoon, just to get out a while. It was so nice. I miss interacting with others. But I don’t see going out any more than we have for quite some time to come. We both just don’t think it’s worth the risk for either one of us. I have about gone crazy with “cabin fever” since my isolation began in Nov. so six months now for me. My brother in New Orleans called today to check on us. He and his wife have been traveling around Alabama and then to the beach at Orange Beach for several weeks. They both do distancing, wear masks, and are careful. He is 3 years older but she is much younger. They seem so in love and perfect for each other. He is worried but said they are so careful and I know they are. His wife’s father is younger than my brother, and I laughed when he first explained all this to me. My sil looks just light a model. Her skin is so beautiful. I am so happy for them both.
      We did FaceTime with Neal and Colin Friday. Words just can’t say how much we miss them. Sometimes I just can’t let myself think about it. So happy your babies are doing so good. They are just precious, and I know it must seem like yesterday when all your other little ones were babies too.
      Hope all your employees and businesses will be safe. How scary for us all.
      Glad you got you AC fixed Colleen. I bet you all were roasting. We would have to find someplace with AC.
      Take care all and please stay healthy and safe,

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Well, we had a soggy weekend here. How about you guys? Is anyone in the path of the storm? I hope not. Stay safe everyone.
      The protesters are out in force again tonight. This makes night 11 or 12.
      We’ve had a spike in cases of the virus. It went up to almost 150 overnight. That’s the most since the virus struck. The death toll hasn’t gone up by that much. Some days there’s only one or two. The death toll is standing at 164 I think they reported on the news. I’m pretty sure there will be a bigger outbreak once the protesters get tested later on. Most likely all over the country with all that’s going on.
      I hurt my right shoulder again. Not sure what I did, probably lifted something too heavy. It’s a tad bit better today, but still in pain. Snowball is getting to where she gets closer to me when I;m in bed. I have a table mate next to the bed & she gets up on it & curls up when I’m in bed. Earlier today she actually got on the bed next to me.
      I see Shawn Killinger returned to the Q this last week.
      I guess that’s all for now.
      take care & stay safe.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I hope your shoulder will feel better soon. It seems as we age we hurt things without even knowing how we did it.
      Snowball is inching closer and closer-pretty soon she will be snuggling with you in bed.
      At one point we used to have three dogs sleeping with us. It was always a ‘three dog night.” lol I think if we ever get another dog I will put a dog bed on the bedroom floor and have them sleep there. That’s what we did when Rocky and Belle got older.
      They are predicting rain and storms tomorrow as the remnants of Cristobal come up north-possible tornadoes but we will just have to wait and see. Then it will cool down to the 70’s-today will be in the 90’s.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      Your isolation really did begin way before the rest of us. You must be feeling very antsy-but I’m glad that you and Jerry are staying safe.
      We are doing the same. We have not been anywhere in almost three months. Greg is golfing but they all stay six feet away from each other and I’m glad that he can get out and do something he enjoys and is still safe. Most of the things I enjoy require being close to other people so I will just stay home and travel through my books. I thank goodness every day that I can amuse myself with books, TV and games. Now I could be doing something constructive like cleaning cabinets and closets and what not but I’d rather do things I enjoy. lol
      Greg, I think, has enjoyed working from home, many days he can get done by noon and then he goes outdoors and works in the yard which he really likes doing-so it’s not really even work to him. He’s getting a taste of retirement.
      I’m glad that you got to Facetime with Colin and Neal. Thank goodness we have these things at our disposal.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      You know I don’t understand the calls to defund the police? What does that mean? How can you not have a police force of some kind? I guess I am just getting old and cannot understand modern ideas.
      Now that I think of it I think maybe Barbara had a father who was a police officer? Am I remembering right, Barbara?
      The reason I wrote thoughts is you have to write something in order to post those pictures so I just thought honoring health care workers was a good thought. I kind of left it vague purposely.
      I think Brent will be fine-the town he is in is a tiny town of about 1500 people. I’m not sure if he got the paperwork done on the house.Sometimes if he doesn’t mention something I am almost afraid to ask as he seems to have so many things go wrong all the time. Sometimes it’s no news is good news.
      I’m not sure why they needed the extra help where he went-don’t know if they had people quit or people out sick or what. i think two other people went with him. I know they had a rental car-hopefully there is some kind of motel around a town so small.
      I’m not sure exactly what you mean by does Greg feel safe meeting people in the parks. One was a park right in the middle of a town square and the other was in a forest preserve. He feels safer meeting them outdoors than in an enclosed spot where they couldn’t be six feet apart. But I don’t know if that is what you meant.
      I know a bunch of states have already had their virus numbers go up just from opening back up. I imagine with all the protests numbers will go up even more. This just seems to be a never ending spiral.
      I did hear on the news New Zealand considers themselves virus free. I’ll bet our friends are sorry that they are not still there. I think now their borders are closed to outsiders.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Barbara
      That is funny about your brother and his wife and family! Does your brother look a lot younger than he is?
      I am glad you got to chat with little Colin. I know how much I missed the baby when we did nto see him for a month, or more. I can’t imagine that being every day. I feel so bad you can’t hug the stuffing out of him.
      Amanda went to her first meeting at the restaurant today, to find out how they are going to serve the customers, and clean after they leave a table. She was very excited to return to work, and see her friends. I am not so sure she will like all these new rules. Their restaurant has an outside seating area, so they can open up that section this week. I am still worried about her getting sick, because all those protesters went home to their families, and I am so afraid the virus will start going up again.
      I heard the weather down there has been very hot, with storms. I hope you have all been safe and no damage to your place.
      It was warm here, with less humidity today. I was nto able to go on the deck, as I had a lot of work to do for the business today.
      Did you see AGT last night? we watched it becasue they did nto run it last week due to covering the protests. I loved the kids and drummers, the little girl who sang the Lady Ga Ga song, and many others. So, we did not watch Grease. we watched 60 Minutes and Celebrity Family Feud.
      I hope you have a good evening! Stay safe! Glad you got out for a ride with the hubby!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      Love the pics! We are not in the path of the storm, so we are lucky.
      We have had no rain at all. Just a little shower one night with thunder and lightning.
      We have had constant protests, all over the state. I am afraid the cases will start to spike again.
      That is great that Snowball is getting closer to you! It took her a long time.
      Did you watch AGT last night? We did. I so love that show!
      Dying for it to be on tomorrow night again. I really like Sophia Vergara on the show. She works out well with the other judges.
      I hope you are safe, and there is no trouble in your area. These are scary times. Why can’t people just realize people are people. Nobody is better or worst by the color of their skin. It is the person inside that counts.
      I remember when Steph came home from school in Kindergarten. She told me she had a new girl in her class and she was brown. She added that some of the kids were not nice to her, and she did not like that. I told her you do what you think you should do, and she said…..she will be my new best friend. I told her I was proud of her, and so a best friendship was developed for life. She still talks to her, but, after high school and since Steph had a baby, they grew a bit apart. I figured when she had a child, they would reconnect. But, she has no kids as of yet, Children do nto see color, they see people. Prejudice is taught, and that is not good.
      Hope you have a good night!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

DD
      OMG….forgot to say, take very good care of that shoulder. Shoulder pain is the worst! Ice, ice, ice!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      I meant with not catching the virus. If he left safe enough with the mask and gloves on to meet people.
      I hope Brent got all the paperwork done. We had an awful time with the paperwork for the Jeep, and it is still nto right. They charged us for another month of lease, and we paid the lease in full. Every time we called, it was at least an hour on the phone with them! Still nto right, and the first payment comes out on July 1. It was a nightmare trying to negotiate with the bank to change form a lease to a buy. They are supposed to take out the payment error, and call us back this week.
      Did you see AGT last night? I loved the show. It is so nice to see something positive on TV.
      I hope Brent comes back soon from the work trip. I owuld be like you- worry why they are there, and afraid to ask!
      I am totally against the defund the police thing. What are they thinking???
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

We have had lots of pouring rain this afternoon and evening but nothing bad. We took a short walk before it started and the clouds were just swirling in the sky. Then the rain came. We are to finally clear late tomorrow. Hope the storm is not dangerous where you all are. Colleen, did you get storms? Thinking I heard Missouri is so be safe.
      I too am just shocked that people in government are calling for police defunding. As if our country doesn’t need the police to help us. Can you even fathom not having a number to call when you need help? Yes, Gail, my dad retired after 35 years as a policeman, and his father was also a policeman. I have pictures of them both standing tall in their police uniforms. I was raised around police officers. It’s like daddy always said “there is good and bad people in all walks of life” and “one bad apple doesn’t spoil the barrel”. I have seen this in people I worked with, went to school with, are related to, and go to,church with. I pray we can all do as Adele said and see each other as people. I know this for certain, we all bleed the same red blood.
      My brother is handsome Gail and very young at heart. He has kept himself in good physical shape and loves talking with everyone. He is so talented; at least in my eyes. He has beautiful wavy hair that he’s always worn “artist” length not man bun but longer than Jerry. He is doing more sketches right now than painting. They have the studio closed right now. His wife is the youth pastor for ages 4-18. She does a computer ministry right now with the pastor, who is also female. It’s with the Methodist church.
      DD hope your shoulder is better. My shoulder talks to me around 3am. My aches keep me company late at night. That is so sweet Snowball is keeping you warm and cozy. They are so good to keep us company.
      We have to ride in to town tomorrow and Mail off a box to Colin. Neal told us he doesn’t need anything, but when we asked Colin last week to tell us if he needs anything, he said “will you send me something Mimi?” so Neal will just have to accept it ha ha We got him a Spider-Man figure and car, some books, and some suckers. We miss him!!! They move into their rental home the 1st of July. Did I tell you all its 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, big walk in closets-just beautiful. in a gated community. So I think they picked as safe an area as possible, and am happy about that. But as you said Gail, with our young ones no news is good news. And Neal only shares what he feels he should, and that hurts sometimes, but we try to understand.
      Will close for now. Take care everyone and please stay safe. I pray we come out from under this virus cloud soon.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Missy Barbara!
      Amen to that! We all bleed the same color, and should be judged by our actions, not our color. So…I have a humorous question to ask as we discuss the color of our skins. Why in the world are all the white people out in the sun for hours, if they feel a darker shade of skin is not a good thing??? They try real hard to get to that beautiful shade of golden brown, and so many people in this country are already there, and have been since birth.

They have George Floyd’s funeral on TV. What a beautiful service. I just turned it on. What a shame this man had to die to affect change in this world. That he has affected change will be of little comfort to his daughter who will miss him at every event in her beautiful life. God bless his daughter for the sacrifice she has yet to understand, at her young age.

It is still rain free up here. We need the rain, and the rest of you are getting it. I will be venturing forth on the deck to finish the planting before it gets humid again tomorrow. God help me….LOL

I know Colin will love his box of goodies form his grandparents. JJ and Aizen were thrilled with the books and games I sent form Amazon, with little notes. Steph told me I did nto need to do it, like your son said to you. But, they were so happy to know we cared enough to send small gifts while we were all in quarantine. Go for it!

Our kids try to hide the things they know will worry us. What they do not realize is we worry more about what we do not know, as our imaginations can run away with us.

I hope the weather gets better in your area, so you can go on a nice walk. I just want to sit on the deck and listen to the birds. Sometimes if I sit quietly, they come to the deck, and sit close enough for me to see all their beautiful colors. I am attaching a pic of the bunny Bobby saw in the yard….LOL

Hope you are having a good day!
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      I believe I went and looked at your brother’s art work one time when you mentioned where we could find it. It was quite beautiful and he is really talented. I was glad it was representational art and not just blobs on a canvas like some do. I never can understand why that type of art is considered creative as to me it looks like somthing anyone could do. Next time I am in an art museum I should ask someone who works there to explain a piece of modern art to me so I can understand.
      If I remember correctly it seems like some of your brother’s work reflected New Orleans and it’s people. That is a beautiful city-I would like to go back for another visit someday. It’s been many many years since I was there. Great food too.
      But I guess there will be no traveling for us until there is a covid vaccine. Everything that has been happening in this country still feels so surreal to me. I could never have imagined that something would happen that would require us to stay home for a year or more. It seems like it should be something from a science fiction novel.
      It sounds like all of us grandparents have the same idea. Every couple of weeks I send something over to our grands too.
      I know it’s probably jumping the gun but I wonder what Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas will look like this year. I wonder if kids will even go back to school in the fall. Everything is so fluid and that is what makes things even more difficult. If we had a definite date when it could be over that would give us a goal to look forward to. Just the wanderings of my brain. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey all
      I am quite worried about all the holidays. My fear was what it will look like, but now, with everyone protesting, it is even worst. It scares m to think of all those people going home to their parents and grandparents, and the virus taking hold again. I wish there was a way the protesters could protest, and keep themselves safe. You should not have to lose more lives to make it know that everyone’s lives matter.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

forgot…love the cartoons….LOL

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Yes, Greg feels comfortable meeting people in a park wearing a mask-no gloves though as he is not touching anybody or anything except maybe grass. (not the smoking kind) lol They don’t wear masks when they golf but they stay far away from each other. I kind of envy him as at least when he golfs he gets out and sees other people. I’m afraid if I saw someone else I would probably talk their ear off like Colleen did at the dentist’s office. lol I’m weird-I don’t mind being home or even alone but I do miss socializing too. I am an enigma! lol I am glad we have here to come to to socialize.
      I like to watch the birds come to the feeders on our deck too. They always seem so happy. However, I am grateful that our crazy cardinal no longer comes to bang on the windows.
      I copy AGT so we can skip the commercials and when we went to watch it the first about 45 minutes were taken up with a weather watch for tornadoes south of Chicago-so we missed the the first half.
      Sometimes I wish they would just skip all the back stories and just have the people perform as I think the stories influence the voting. But it’s TV and they always want to make it as dramatic as possible. At least we didn’t have to watch any gross acts.
      What’s with Simon’s outfit? Usually he has on an old raggedy tshirt-now he has on an outfit that looks like he’s ready to do a Flamenco dance. lol
      I also wish Terry Crewes would stop with the pec flexing-he does it everywhere and right now there’s probably only two people left in America who haven’t seen it. lol I know I’m crabby- I usually have an upbeat attitude but I’m having a little pity party this morning. lol This too shall pass.
      It is a beautiful sunny day-the rains of the last two days have passed-maybe we are sending them your way-thank you very much. lol
      It will be cool in the 70’s for a few days and then will go back to the upper 80’s and probably more humidity. That’s summer for ya. Thank goodness for AC.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      Oh….did I forget to tell you I go to peck flexing on line classes?? Or would we call those boob on line flexing classes????

Our entire AGT was the protests. But, the repeat one was not. So see if you can catch it on a repeat or on demand. It was a really good show.

I did notice Simon has changed his mode of dress. What is up with that? Is it becasue he is sitting next to Sophia Vergara?? LOL

It poured here on and off all day- still more thunderstorms on the way for tonight. Just started raining again now…. not complaining as we need the rain. Everything outside was covered in yellow pollen, and I was wheezing like crazy. Not wheezing now! Yahoo!

I am waiting for Gary to get home from his NH customers. I am having him go through the local take out drive through for a roast beef sandwich. We do not like them as much, but he will not have to get out of the van. The place we love for roast beef has no drive through. What is up with that???

So, Frankie put up the 2 hummingbird houses. I wonder if they will go in there this year, or wait until they are more seasoned next year. Do you have any experience with hummingbird houses? This is the first time I put them up.

Hope you have a good night…how is Brent?? Jenny and the kids??? our ace golfer The Gregster???
      Adele…who is hungry and waiting for her sandwich….

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Greg just left to golf. I’m so jealous that he gets out of the house to see people I just may have to take up golf. lol Not!
      lol
      Do you know that we have not even ordered carry out or delivery since this whole thing started so I have cooked every f-en night for almost three months-except if we had breakfast for dinner and then Greg cooks. But for him it’s more of a novelty because he likes to do it and he doesn’t have to do all the planning of what groceries we need either. As you can imagine sometimes when I am feeling lazy we have had some interesting dinners. lol
      We have to start doing some pick up orders just for the variety of it.
      We have never had hummingbird houses. Feeders yes-houses no. Do you think that for this year many birds have already made nests and laid eggs?
      Last year we had birds lay eggs in our Chicago Bears bird house but no one is in there this year. I’ll bet Greg needs to take it down and clean it out for a new family.
      Yesterday the male turkey was in the yard opening up his tail and dancing around and trying to impress the girls. They all just kept eating ignoring him like they had seen it all before and they know he just loves em and leaves em. lol
      Hope your rain has gone away. The sun is shining here. The rains have moved out.
      The kids are fine-I haven’t heard from them this week. I sure do miss personal interaction with the little ones. I have no idea when we will see anybody in person again. Because of our age group we have been super careful. Cases are going up again in many states which is to be expected since there seems to be little social distancing and such going on so I have no idea what the next few months will bring. So I guess we will be safe and just stay home and watch the world go by. I think the first couple months didn’t bother me all that much but as time goes by I really miss being out amongst people. I am a social introvert if there is such a thing- I like being around people but I equally like being home with Greg. But I do find myself getting a bit teary eyed more often recently. I guess it’s the worry and the not knowing and mourning the way things used to be. But we are all alive and healthy and the kids have jobs so there is lots to be grateful for.
      I’m looking forward to later in the summer when we will have fresh garden veggies. Right now we have fresh asparagus. I wonder how Colleen’s garden is-they have veggies at least a month before we do.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

hey Gailster
      So far, I have had a pitiful crop of asparagus. I tried to cook it, but I burned it, it was so small….LOL
      I am glad the Gregster is having fun golfing again.
      We have been doing very careful take out- only from places we know have had no incidents. We have been ok so far with the ones we have been using. We have been lucky to keep the takeout places we use in business. I have to say, it took us weeks to get the courage to order form any of them. They all used gloves and masks coming to the house, and still do. The bags have been sealed with staples.
      That is funny about the turkey. We have not had a turkey in the back yard in ages. Sometimes they go through the front of our yards.
      It stopped raining. Today was a beautiful day. i did not get out on the deck because I had a lot of work for the business today. We changed payroll companies, and the tasks for me went on and on because the old payroll company was not working out. As of today, all is set, and the new company has all they need to move forward.
      I hope there will be something good on TV. Do you watch Council of Dads? That was on last night, and I like that show.
      Hope you can soon get to see the kids. We had no visitors today.
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Everybody,
      Melissa is here with the kids. I am not sure how long they are staying will write a lot more then. Sounds like everyone is getting tired of cooking and staying at home. I was until they got here. They have been here for a week and am not sure how long they are going to stay.
      The memes are really cute. It is fun reading them. Our asparagus is not doing any good this year. I think that we had too much rain. Our garden was planted later this year for the same reason. The rain has really been bad in the spring we had a lot of it. We have had to replant once. So we are not sure when anything will come in this year.
      Well that is all from here. Will write more when they go home. I hope everybody has a great night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      There is nothing like seeing the kids to make all the pain go away
      I hope you have a fabulous visit. Try not to kiss them too much!! I hug and kiss the little ones but my granddaughters and kids have stopped kissing me hello and goodbye since covid arrived
      Hoe you have a great weekend. I attached pics of the window boxes and other containers I planted in the deck
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Just a quick note to let ya know I’m still alive out here. Here it is mid June, & I’m still turning on the heat!!! It’s been down right cold here. I;m not sure but I think we were in the low 60s this weekend.
      Well, we’re still having protests here. It’s getting pretty old now, I won’t even listen to the news anymore
      And with all this going on you can expect the virus to explode like a bomb. We’re already showing an big increase in the # of cases, & deaths in the past few days. More cases now than at the peak of it here. I’m not sure of the # of deaths, but they are spiking. The county I live in hasn’t even gotten to open up on phase 1 at this point. Which means there’s too many cases of the virus, & too many new cases. The governor put a hold on it till next week.
      Not much else going on here.
      I’m okay so far. The shoulder is still sore, but better. it might be the tech neck thing they talk about on tv. Snowball is laying across the TV cart in front of the TV.
      Take care everyone!! This ain’t over by a looooooooong shot!!!
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Good to hear from you. You really do have some cool weather. The last two nights have been chilly here but next week we will be 90 again by midweek.
      I heard that Oregon is one of the states with spikes again in the virus. I guess it will be pretty much like that all summer-with different states having spikes as they reopen. I think we are in phase three here with restaurants opening to outdoor dining and dentists. opening and I think hair dressers too. It doesn’t change anything for us as we are staying home and away from people still. I expect we will be staying home for months and months to come so we may as well get used to it. Even though we don’t socialize that much anymore I do miss going out to a restaurant and to a concert or a play. And most of all I miss seeing the kids and the grands.
      I do enjoy the pictures of the tropical places-I can look at them and pretend I am there on vacation. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Colleen,
      Enjoy your time with Melissa and her family. I’m sure their visit was just what the doctor ordered.
      We are hoping for a good garden this year. Greg had started some plants indoors but he put them in the cold frame outside too early and the frost got some in May-so he had to go out and buy some plants then. I hope your garden will eventually bounce back from all the rain. Now we just have to find a good place to buy sweet corn since our usual stand shut down. They also had really good melons-so hopefully we can find another source for them too.
      Have fun with your family. Treasure every moment.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Your deck is looking good with the planters and the bunny and other decor. I like that little cart thing. That’s adorable!
      When did you plant your asparagus. It sounds like it’s still too young. I know it is hard waiting for a few years for it to really get going. I wish I could send you some of our excess.
      I hope your new payroll company will work out well. I have to laugh at Greg now if he has a day when he has a lot of work from the office- he then is complaining that he is working too hard and then other days he practically has nothing to do at all. You know how it goes-some days there are more fires to put out. Of course most people his age are already retired-so this is a glimpse of the future. I hope by the time he actually is able to retire that the danger of the virus is gone and we have a vaccine and we can be free to take some traveling time as that is what we have been looking forward to. Taking some tips without a timeline. I still would like to take that American Cruise line trip up the east coast some time.
      We don’t watch Council of Dads. I find I just can’t get into hour dramas like before. I think I have ADD in my old age. I’m still a year behind on Grey’s Anatomy. I’m still hoping to finally catch up over the summer. And Greg doesn’t watch any of that. I can’t believe he hasn’t watched any of the golf that has finally come back to TV this weekend. I wonder if they will play baseball at all this summer. How are Gary and Bobby doing without sports to watch?
      Jenny informed me there is a funnel cake truck in town. But so far we haven’t succumbed to it’s siren song. lol But it is tempting. I know Jenny was going to pick some up for the kids before they went to Adam’s yesterday. I had just sent some paint your own stone sets for the kids so they were busy working on them when I talked to her yesterday morning. Greg had to drop something off at Jenny’s yesterday but the only person home was Kendall and the dogs. lol Jenny was out for a run and Piper and Lachlan were at Kelly’s. They can now play with the kids in the surrounding houses so that’s a little bit of help to stop the boredom of a long summer without swimming pools, or libraries or fairs or soft ball. I really wonder what school will look like in the fall. Will they open up or won’t they. It seems like it would be a logistical nightmare. The stuff they did online from March to the end of the year was basically reviewing what had already been taught but with the start of a new year in order to advance they will have to have new material and I’m just not sure how all that would work.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

Have any of you noticed on QVC some items jump in price if you don’t want auto delivery? I was going to order something & when I change it from auto delivery to one time shipment the price went up $6. So I did not order.

I called to get an appointment to get my haircut. She is opening today. I have not heard back yet. I imagine she has a lot of calls right now. I will wait. My neighbor did say I better get in before we are shutdown again. I really don’t think people will stand for another shutdown. As everyone is still doing what they want.

We have had such nice weather for a few days. Wish it would stay like this but is to be 90 & humid on the weekend.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      So glad you are ok.
      I feel the same way that you do. I am waiting for the spike due to all the protests. I wish people could protest safer, but with a huge crowd there is just no way to do that. I am hoping people will move to calling their legislators and sending letters to them. It would be a lot safer and their stories would be on record.
      AGT tonight- yahoo!! Love that show. Something to look forward to for tonight.
      Please take care of your shoulder. They get very painful, and I would hate for you to suffer like that.
      Adele
      ps….love the pics and the prayer

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      I like the new payroll company. They have great staff, and are tolerating my tech questions….LOL It was very busy in the transfer phase, but, now I know way more than I ever wanted to know about tax rates, tax codes, and our tax numbers for the fed and state sites. I gave them access to both sites, so I will not have to bother with any tax rate changes, etc. You would think we have a huge factory, and all we have is one employee. Its the same, either way….LOL
      That is too bad, as you would love the Council of dads show! AGT is on tonight….yahoo!!
      It was a nice day up here- humidity is starting again tomorrow. Gross. Marissa has been working hard on end of term papers, etc, and they have not been over here at all. I hate it when the pool sits there idle. I got those cute floaties and they are in their boxes.
      That cart was on the Q. they had a few colors. I love it! I had to put the roosters on the deck, as they did nto work in the garden at all. I ordered a few plastic animals for the garden to fill in where I lost the plants.
      The asparagus is three years old. Seriously??? Wonder why it takes so long to get a good crop….LOL
      I don’t think JJ and Aizen have played with anyone yet. they talk to their friends on line.
      I think we will have a whole new way of seeing kids in school. It is going to be very different for everyone, and very sad too.
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue!
      I hope you are able to get a haircut in very soon, so you will not have any issues. Gary needs a haircut real bad, and I am afraid to send him. He is not so careful about germs and sometimes just does not think it through….like sanitize the hands before you get in the car, and do the steering wheel. He always says……oh, it will be fine, you are too nuts with all of this….So, for him, it is a bit more dangerous unless I send someone with him. I was even thinking of having the girl who cut my hair and Tillie’s to come here to do him on the deck. Then, I could get a haircut too, and so could Tillie. We could do it on the deck to minimize the contact even more. We wash our own hair before she comes, so that is even better.
      I have not noticed that on the Q I wonder if that is new???
      By the way, have you or anyone purchased the new automatic can opened? Well, don’t. I cannot get it to open one can. Since it was over 20.00, I am returning it. I am very disappointed. I love their products, and this is the first one that does not work. I need those gadgets, as my hands are bad. Maybe they will invent a better one. I have the one that opens jars, and I love it! Very disappointed. Gary laughed at me and my gadgets.
      Don’t forget AGT is on tonight!
      Have a good night.
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      I never noticed that about the Q’s food. I will have to keep an eye out for that.
      I hope you can get a hair cut. I did not even try to get in when the shop reopened. I figured there would be many other’s clamoring to get in and I am taking a wait and see attitude. If I feel comfortable I will go late summer or fall. In the meantime no one sees me anyway as we are not leaving home for anything even after things are opening up.
      Hot weather here again and then rain over the weekend.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Glad the new payroll system is working well. That will be one less thing you have to worry about.
      I must say AGT was funny with Sophia and the sword swallower. We are still watching the show with Gronk-you would have liked yesterday’s show as Big Papi was on it. It’s just silly fun for these trying times. Of course the high point of our week is watching Holey Moley on Thursday night! lol Talk about silly fun.
      Now why don’t you just get an electric can opener and use that. I have one of those that unseals the can so you don’t get the sharp edges. Probably got it off Amazon.
      You will probably finally get some decent asparagus next year-I think it starts to come in better after about three years. it really is something that you have to be patient with.
      How close is Marissa to finishing school? It’s hard enough to do those things without having a little baby to care for too. She should be very proud of herself. Give yourself a pat on the back, Marissa!
      I think maybe JJ and Aizen might have a little different situation than Jenny’s kids. I don’t know if there would be other kids right there in the building that they could play with. Plus I think the playing mostly takes place outdoors and I don’t know if Steph’s apartment building offers any outdoor space for the kids. I figured once the weather got better that Jenny’s kids could play outside and ride their bikes and scooters and stuff. I think it would be hard to keep them in once summer came. The other day the kids had the guinea pig on the trampoline with them. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I’m alive, & my shoulder is much better. I haven’t read all the posts so forgive me. We’re still having protests here. They’ve even come up here. They come up here at midnight or so, chanting BLM. They’re marching up a one way street the wrong way. they came up the same street earlier this week this time they had cars behind them & I don’t mean police cars. I recorded some of it, but got the cars driving up the street the wrong way. again it was midnight.
      They want to do away with the police so they can do whatever they want without any consequences. None of this has to do with George Floyd. It’s more about them getting away with breaking windows in businesses, stealing everything in sight, destroy peoples property & get away with it. And alot of them are out there without a mask on. Dare I say it…I think you know what I’m thinking.
      We’re having a couple nice days here, then the showers return for the weekend. But next week summer really hits. We could see 90 or more next week. that’s usually in late July or so. Our running joke is summer doesn’t start till after the 4th holiday. Anyone doing anything special since they’ve opened up across the country. The county I live in just opened up today. It’s the last one to open up.
      But the # of cases has been spiking upwards since the governor opened up the rest of the state. I just got a notification they’ve recorded another 200 cases of it this week.
      I’m still staying put indoors unless I need to go to the store.
      Well, that’s all I have for now. I’m gonna put up my tropical pics now that my shoulder is better.
      Take care & stay safe!!!
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

To Our Dearest Friend Adele,
      Love from all your Quacker friends. We are so sorry.

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail thank you for posting this for Adele. I answered her e-mail telling her I was so sorry but words escape me I just don’t know what to say. But at least she knows we care & are thinking of her and the family/ Guess that is all we can do from a distance.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I got Adele’s email last night. I was, & still am in shock. I answered her back immediately. I had no words, except to say how sorry I was. It’s such a shock. I can;t imagine what she’s going through right now. this can’t be good for her health either. We need to keep her & the family in our prayers daily.
      Take care everyone.
      dd

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi everyone
      It’s almost over accept for the grieving. Yesterday was the covid wake and we lol went together to drop her at the creamatory. That was creepy. While there I saw a man just sitting on his loved ones grave. He looked so sad I wanted to go talk to him. He probably thought the same about us
      Once her ashes are returned to us we go to the family plot in Boston and lay what is left to rest. The girls are doing that creepy thing with the ashes….. some a tattoo, some a tiny urn and the big urn gets buried.
      I can’t tell you how proud of Bobby and the girls I am. From the moment I yelled…. Bobby get over there your sister is dead… until today he has made us all proud. He ran point and I did not have to do anything. I couldn’t. I could not arrange the burial pick out the container, etc. I wanted no part of anything. He did it all with the girls. They made the arrangements and even did her eyes and lips after they finished preparing her for the viewing. Amanda and Marissa even did her nails. That took a lot is strength. I could not even look at her. I sat far away I did not want to go up to the coffin but they all made me at the end when it was private. They had a chair for more to sit in front of her. They were all around me saying …. we got you… I started to cry and I did not want to break down in there
      Marissa bawled and I told her that was not her mother she is in our hearts she is not in that box. Marissa kept saying she wanted to hug her
      I can’t touch Gary. I won’t let him hug me or hold my hand. When he tried to I broke completely down. I collapse hen he tried to comfort me and I just can’t right now
      Nancy said she did the same thing with her husband when her son died. I guess that is common. When the person who lives you holds you and you feel them around you you completely go to pieces
      It is going to take a long time. Gary is devastated he lost his buddy. He said Heathers death was worst than his adopted daughters four years ago
      Marissa just came…. I’ll tell you what happened later

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Adele I was wondering about you & knew you would be having a hard time. I am going to say something & feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I think losing a child must be the most painful thing one can go through. But please let Gary comfort you as it might be good for both of you. He is grieving too & must hurt when you push him away. Be glad you have people to comfort you. If you had grown up with my dad you would not have gotten any comfort from him. He loved us but when anyone would cry it made him very mad. I remember Mom saying try not to cry or you will make him mad. Do you know how hard it is to try & hold all that in? It is much better to let it out. So glad Bobby was a help. It will take time but try to remember something funny or kind she did. Remember the good times.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Sometimes it is hard to get close to the ones you love when you lose a love one. I know that it is hard but you will get close to everyone again soon. Everyone handles things different. I wish this pain would go away for you but it takes time. Just keep your family close and see them as often as you can. It will help ease the pain and it will be nice to be around the grand kids. I know that it is rough and I wish that I could take some of the hurt and pain away from you. I will keep praying for you and your family.
      Bobby is such a good son. It is good that he could take charge like he did. It would be too hard for you to do all of that and he realized that. Your geand kids are good kids also.
      I watched Grayson for awhile today. Brook brought him over and then she had to go to work. I kept him until Mandy got off work. He is such a cute baby and has such a cute smile. He likes to cuddle up just as close as he can get to you. He is just a very loving child. I think that you need that right now. It can make you feel better.
      How is Tillie doing? I hope she is doing okay thru all of this. It is good that she lives there with you and is not alone. You two will have each other to console each other.
      Well that is all from here. I will be praying for all of you.
      Love you my friend
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey guys
      Sue you never offend me. You speak from your heart. You are right. I had to explain to hubby that it was more of a compliment than a negative that I could not tolerate his comforting me. That when he held me I felt safe to let go and grieve but I was not ready to completely fall apart
      Sometimes when I am alone I completely lose it. I sob so hard my whole body shakes and then I get an awful headache and pain in my chest like my heart is broken. I guess it is
      Colleen thank you. I feel weird. Yesterday I felt empty. Today Ifeel Heather was not real
      Everyone is at her apt today. They are cleaning out the personal items they want and marking the big ones…. like a bureau etc. we hdd as be until Saturday to get her things out unless we want to pay 3000.00. If I am going to pay that amount of money I would rather give it to the girls
      Here is what happened. Amanda got up Saturday and checked on her mother. She found her as if she had been standing next to her bed looking through her pocketbook for something. She fell face first on the bed. Face on the bed with her feet still on the ground. As if she did not have the strength to move her face to breathe
      Amanda was asked to start cpr. She said her Mom was already cold. EMTs did several narcan shots and one epi pen. She was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead. I spoke with ER dr who said they did a valiant job trying to save her They were not able to harvest and organs as they were not viable. I asked if they did a tox screen and the nice dr very gently said they don’t do that if the heart is not beating. He was very kindbecause he paused between words and chose them so carefully
      The medical examiner also said no tissues were viable for harvesting either. That madd me feel bad that nobody would benefit or be saved by her being gone.
      There was no purpose to her death
      A full autopsy was completed. We did not request it. Medical examiner did.
      As you know. When someone dies all the fluids come out of them. Amanda should never have seen that. She cleaned up the mess on the rug after the EMTs left with her mothers body. That snd finding her is haunting her. Nobody should ever have to see that.
      Amanda will move in here. She cannot go back in that apt cause it is too painful
      So that’s the whole story
      Some pics of flowers and her obit etc

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      It’s good that somebody steps in when when we can’t. Good for Bobby and the girls. It sounds like the girls treated their mother with loving care doing her makeup and nails. I think that was a beautiful tribute.
      I think that it’s nice that the girls are doing something personal with the ashes-I didn’t know that they could use them for a tattoo. One of Jenny’s friends has a small tattoo on her wrist copied from her Mom’s handwriting which I think is quite touching. I actually found someone for Brent who makes pendants from funeral ashes and he had a pendant made for himself and each of Kim’s three daughters. They were quite beautiful.
      You know (this is just my opinion) I think it’s okay to break down-you can’t keep all the emotions bottled up without consequences-let your feelings out. I do hope eventually you will let Gary comfort you-he hurts because you are hurting. I hope you will be able to find comfort in each other’s embrace. I know it is not the same but when Greg and I lost parents we just held each other and sobbed in each other’s arms. There was comfort in the shared grief.
      Will there be a priest for the graveside service-or will there even be a service? Everything is so different with Covid rules.
      Just know I love you and am always standing by waiting to listen.
      Hugs,
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Your post did not show when I posted this morning so I did not read what happened until now.
      I’m glad that Amanda can come and stay with you. I’m sorry that she went through everything that she did.
      I think everything will feel unreal for awhile. It is all still very raw.
      The ER doctor sounds like a very kind man.
      Prayers for your family.
      Hugs, Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Has anyone heard from DD. I sent an email to what I thought was her email address last week but never got a response. Maybe I have the wrong email address.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gail
      DD is ok. She will do a post later today. Thank God!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      We had a priest at the funeral home, at the crematory, and will have one at the graveside. I was upset there was no Mass. They didn’t want to do one as they didn’t want that many people in the Church.
      It was nice of the girls. I felt that took a tremendous amount of courage. Not sure I cold have done it.
      They are all at the apartment again today. All they got done yesterday was Amanda’s bedroom, and one closet. they have Heather’s room closet, and the hallway closet to do, besides the kitchen. The plan is to move out all the big stuff on Friday. They are marking the furniture as “throw, storage, or who gets it moved to their house.” Bobby, Enzo, Jhonny, and one of Bobby’s friends will move the furniture on Friday. Bobby’s friend was a mover as a second job a while ago.So, they should be ok.
      I do not feel so good today. I think it is the humidity, thunderstorms, and stress. Just feel achy and “headachy”. You know…just not a good day. Especially with that weird vacant inside feeling. My friend Nancy, who lost a baby at birth, her son from cancer and her husband from a heart attack, says that is the true feeling of denial we all talk so much about.
      I hope you, and everyone else are ok. I hope everyone is not having any awful issue to deal with right now, and making some small plan for the Fourth. I still want to watch Hamilton on the 3rd of July with Amanda. We had planned to do that together, and pretend we were at the theater, like when we actually went to the theater so many years ago.
      Gary left me alone. He had to go see Heather’s customers today. He will not be out long. I keep looking at the security camera to see if he is back, like a little kid looking for their Daddy to come home from work. How bad is that?
      Please stay safe, and pray none of us over here get sick within the next two weeks. Everybody hugged and kissed me, and I did not care. They did have masks on. I kept taking mine down as it made my glasses fog up.
      Love you, and everyone.
      Thank you to all of you for the sweet cards, they all made me cry to know I have never met any of you in person, yet you are all so caring and kind. Lets hope this is the last time we have to hear one of us had a loss. Keep everyone alive and well, please!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Adele, I hope each day will bring a sweet memory for you. The er Doctor sounds like he was a very caring soul. And what loving gestures by Bobby and the girls to their mother. Isn’t it just amazing when we let go (either by need to or have to or whatever) that what we didn’t ever expect to happen does and makes us so proud and thankful? Seems to me that the young ones can accomplish so much we are not even aware of. I’m so glad they are there to help. There seems to be so many things being done now for remembrance that I wasn’t aware of. But whatever helps someone is good I think.
      Were you all able to have a service with all the Covid restrictions or do you plan a memorial for later? All the rules now must make it even more difficult. I’m sure something beautiful was done or is planned. Like Gail said, we are here if you want to talk or anything we are here to help anyway we possibly can. Love and big hugs across the miles 🌹Barbara

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I cannot believe that the apartment complex is not going to give her daughters more time to get her things out. It would have been nice if they would have. They should have thought more of them.
      I agree with everyone about the er doctor. He seems like a very caring man and did not want to upset the family any more then he had to. It is so sad that Amanda had to go thru all of that. It is nice that she will be staying with you and Gary. It will be nice to have you around to help her thru all of this and vissa versa. It is good that they were all there for you. I know that this will be hard for all of you for awhile but as long as you have each other you will be okay.
      Where we live they always do an autopsy if a person dies at home. The only way they will not do one if the person is elderly and everything looks okay. I guess that they have to be careful of all that.
      I am here for you also. We all are. Anytime you need to vent we are willing to listen. Please take care of yourself my friend. You are in our thought and prayers and all of your family will be also.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I deeply apologize for not writing sooner. I think I’m overwhelmed with all this Covid stuff that my depression is getting worse than better. Now it sounds like we’ll be on mandatory shutdown again.
      It just came across my phone that we had another 181 cases today, for the 20th straight days of triple digit cases. I’m not even sure how many we have now. Our governor has extended our state of emergency thru Sept. 4th. We now have 8,656 reported or confirmed cases of it & 207 deaths. Like I said before it’s exploding & it’s gonna continue as long as people ignore the advice of the people who know!!! We have protesters who go out with no masks, no social distancing, & they think they’re invincible. IDIOTS!!!
      Adele, please don’t turn Gary away!! You need each other now more than ever. You need to get all that emotion out of your system, for your mental health. don’t bottle it up inside. I can’t imagine anything worse than losing a child, but Gary also lost her. He needs you just as much.
      Gail, I deeply apologize for not getting back to you. That was verrrrry rude & unkind of me.
      I haven’t read the posts so if I leave something out, I’ll get back to it later on.
      I gotta take Snowball in for her shot next week. I haven’t been able to get ahold of a groomer, & she needs a hair cut badly.
      Oh Hallie was in the hospital last week. Her oxygen levels were very low, because she hadn’t been using her Cpap!!!!! Well, you-know-who read her the riot act.
      I finally got my walls plastered with tropical pics. If I can’t get there, I can sit here & imagine I’m on my private island. LOL
      My eczema is spreading like a wild fire. I have a prescription for it but it doesn’t seem to be working any more. I’m glad for the masks right now.
      Speaking of wildfires, we had one last week but it’s out now. It was a small one compared to the big one we had a couple yrs or so ago. It’s gonna be a bad yr cuz we had a dry spring. June was our wettest month in awhile tho. It sounds like we’ll have a nice 4th. Not too hot, just about right.
      Have a wonderful holiday weekend, everybody. I’m not going anywhere. Sigh!!!
      Again, I’m sorry for being so rude & unkind, please forgive me. Stay safe & stay well!!
      dd & snowball

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

I’m starting a new thread for July. See you all there.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Barbara and all
      I’m attaching the roses we sent to Heather’s funeral. We did have a 2 1/2 hour viewing before bringing her to the crematory. the priest said prayers at the funeral home, and at the crematory. Everyone wore masks, and it was hard to figure out who people were….LOL The mask really hides the person until they speak. We always know the voices of our loves ones. That is the one thing you all need to do. Save a recording of your people. That is the one thing you cannot get back- their voice. Marissa sent me a message from Heather, and there are days I play her voice a lot and then I go days without hearing it at all. I still leave messages on her dam cell phone, becasue we have nto shut it off. I say things like….look what you missed today, with a pic attached. Somehow it gets my anger out, and has a place to out it. Amanda has her cell phone, and wont give it up. So, she sees my messages.
      This is just too weird. Everyone says they are surprised I can get out of bed. I do sleep later, cause I really do not want to get up, yet I do. Gary sits at the end of the bed on the bench, and tells me what time it is….I think he thinks he is Big Ben.
      Grief is a strange thing. I get angry, I cry when I talk about her (not when I text) and then I feel she was never really here to begin with- a shadow figure who did not exist. The mind does funny things to make you function. One evening I felt like someone was holding my hand. Another one was really strange….I was sleeping in the recliner, and woke feeling a heaviness on me, a comforting heaviness, like she was on me, holding me, and I was shivering. I know our loved ones are not gone, they are in a different place, in a universe we cannot see called Heaven. I honestly feel little messages get through to us, to say they are ok, and we should be happy they are at peace. That is what I believe, and I hope it is true, because if it is not, I am losing my mind….LOL
      I can function now. For the first two weeks, I could not even move an inch form my chair. I just sat here all day long and was proud to report I did absolutely nothing. I made my first meal yesterday- pesto with linguini for Bobby and Amanda- they were starving from all the moving.
      Oh…Amanda is moving in here. Bobby is giving her his room and he is moving upstairs. Hence all the disruption. I had to purge a lot of things, give furniture away, etc. I ahve to part with a lot of decorations, as they were in that closet in the back room. I am giving away my Dept 56 Halloween houses accept 3 or 4 tops. They are all over the dining room right now. I want to donate them, so they can be set up for children to enjoy, in Heather’s name. I did get a call back from our library Commissioner today, and he will check with the Head Librarian. If that does not work, I will try the Wenham Doll Museum. She loved that place, and we went there every year while I could still walk.
      Im attaching pics of the disaster in the dining room….LOL I will keep most of my Annalee dolls. Those are easy for me to put out.
      Ill write more later. I hope I did not miss anything….I did know about Sue’s brother. I feel so bad for her for the funeral tomorrow. My heart and prayers go out to her.
      Adele

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      Thank you so much for the kind wishes, and feelings. I know it has been hard on you too, since the loss of your Mom. Every holiday this year has been tough on you. Now it will be tough on me.
      I am having rosary beads, and Angel key chain and bookmarks made out of the roses from Heather’s bouquet. We did the flowers in her favorite color, salmon, and everyone wore something salmon- all the family. I could nto find a salmon colored cardigan in all my Quacker finery. So, i had on my black crop pants with the zipper that fit me like regular pants, my pretty glittery black tank top (they sold it in white and orange too) , with my beautiful all glittery pink cardigan, with the silver beading on it too ( they sold that one in aqua too) Tillie wore her pumpkin shirt, because Heather loved that shirt on her. They dressed her in salmon too.
      Please read the post to Barbara for more info of the day…
      Luv u!
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      It will be a hard year this first year. You have a very good family and they will be there with you. You can all comfort each other. It will be good to have one really good memory of Heather to remember at each of the holidays. We did talk a lot about things that we did with mom on the holidays and it helped. We also talk about my dad more also. Just do not let it all be sad on those days. It is hard but you can do it.
      The flowers are really pretty. That was a good idea to make the rosary, the key chain and book marks made from them. You will have to post a picture of them when you get them done. That will make a good remeberance.
      It will be hard for you to get rid of all those things. You have been collecting them for years. Do any of the grand kids want any of them? That would be good for them to have also.
      I have felt someones hand on my shoulder at night when I am upset at night. I still have that feeling once in awhile. It is kind of a good feeling to think they are there with us.
      That is good that you are starting to do normal things again. One day when you feel down maybe you should bake something. It has always been your way to comfort yourself and now is the time to do that again. Maybe if you start doing things that feel normal again that will help.
      That is about all from here. Take care of yourself. You are in my prayers.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      Thank you for the kind words. You are so right. I just want things back to normal. But nothing will ever be normal again
      They moved all the big furniture yesterday. So Bobby is up here and Amanda downstairs
      It is hard to get rid of what you love. But it is what it is
      JJ slept here last night. The rest of them are coming to use the pool today. Very hot up here
      Love u
      Adele

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email

Share this with a Smile
X Close
Watch QVC
top finds links QVC LIVE QVC PLUS QVC UK