The Reading Nook 20202020-01-09T17:47:48-05:00

Home Forums General Quacker Chatter The Reading Nook 2020

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Didn’t post on the subject for a year so I thought I would start a new discussion for 2020.
      Here’s what I have read so far this year.
      Christmas in Harmony by Debbie Mason. I won this one and they never sent it to me so when they sent a letter asking if I received it I said no so they sent another copy. It was an okay story. I like the premise about a woman getting a man to find his holiday spirit(kind of like a Hallmark movie) but the writing was a bit disjointed which made it hard to follow. I guess this is part of a series so maybe it would have been easier if I had read the other books in the series first.
      The Adults by Caroline Hulse-a book about a divorced father and mother and their significant others taking the seven year old daughter to a theme park over the holidays. I thought it would be funny but it was not-it just showed a bunch of dysfunctional people. Kind of disappointing.
      Zanna’s Gift by Orson Scott Card this was a lovely novella about love, loss and family. It’s only 144 pages so I read it in no time and it’s a beautiful story.

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Dear Edward by Ann Napilitano about a boy who is the only survivor of an airplane crash. Sounds sad but it was good and happy things came out of it.
      The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
      The Chain by Adrian Mc Kinty fast paced thriller about a woman who was forced to kidnap a child other wise her child would be killed.
      First Flurries by Joanne Demaio heartwarming romance that takes place in a cozy small town.
      Master Class Christina Dalcher-futuristic novel about how everyone is divided according to their IQ.
      The Wedding Sisters by Jamie Brenner about a family trying to pull off a high profile triple wedding.
      The Living Library by Donald A. Shinn a novella about book characters coming alive in a library at night.
      Name Drop by Ross Matthews funny stories about celebtities.
      The Authenticity Project by Claire Pooley assorted people are brought together because of a found notebook.
      Antiques Chop by Barbara Allen cozy mystery with mother/daughter sleuthing team.
      Gwendy’s Magic Feather by Richard Chizmar book two in a series starting with Gwendy’s button box.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I just finished reading I’ll Never Tell by Catherine McKenzie about a girl found years ago at a summer camp owned by a family. The 5 siblings now all adults have gathered at the cam for the reading of their parents will. They must first vote to see if they think their brother killed the girl, if the say he is guilty he loses his share. Then second they must vote if the camp will continue or be sold. It contains a lot of secrets & twists. I did not know how to say what it was about without spoiling if someone else wants to read it. I did not like the style of writing as it went from present day to the past & from person to person so a lot of jumping around. But that is just me. I did like the story.

I just started Wild Irish Rose by Ava Miles. Wild Irish Rose is the name of an Inn run by a lady that has the condition where she is afraid to go outside. people want to buy her property for what in underneath & she, of course, does not want to sell.

Gail I just was notified I won a book called The Wartime Sisters. It has not arrived yet.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      Congrats on winning the book. I have been in a book winning slump lately. It seems I won several right in a row and then since then it has been nothing.
      I know some of those books where they jump from time to time or from one person’s point of view to another can get confusing.
      I too find it difficult to write a review without giving too much of the book away-it’s walking a thin line.
      I guess we’ll be getting a lot of reading done in the next several weeks. I will have to check and see what The Wartime Sisters is about.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      I also must say that I usually read a lot of psychological thrillers but it seems like this year I have been gravitating toward light romances and those types of books-I think it is because of the tenor of the times. Three people that write these types of books that are good are Jenny Colgan, Veronica Henry and Joanne Demaio.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail you mentioned light romances & such right now the authors are offering a lot of free books on Facebook. You just click on them & go to Amazon & they are loaded to your reader. I think because of all that is going on they are offering these to people while they must stay in. I got about 6 of them. I normally like a book with more substance but will read these when I want a quick read.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      Thanks for the info. I am not on Facebook. Do you have a kindle. I didn’t know that. It’s good to have a kindle now as libraries are closed. I also have a backlog of books that I have bought over the years. It’s nice that authors are giving away free ebooks.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email

Share this with a Smile
X Close
Watch QVC
top finds links QVC LIVE QVC PLUS QVC UK