Spinach Pie ( Spanakopita) Recipe
This is a huge family favorite!!!
Prep these 2 first:
• 2, 10oz. Chopped Spinach thawed, drained, squeeze out all water possible
• 1/2 package of Filo thawed overnight in the fridge, this is the best way to do it!
• 2, Spanish onions, chopped
• 3 Garlic cloves peeled and pressed through garlic press
• 3 Tbsp Butter
• 3 Tbsp Fresh Dill ( half that amount if using dried)
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 12 oz. Greek or French Feta, spring for the real stuff, it matters!
• 3/4 Greek Yogurt 2% if what I use
• 4Tbsp Butter
• 4Tbsp Olive Oil
• 3/4c Parmesan cheese
• Oven: 400
• Saute the onions and 3 Tbsp Butter until soft and slightly golden.
• Add Garlic and saute 1 mins. Take off the heat.
• Add in Spinach, Dill, Lemon Zest, Salt, Feta, Yogurt. Stir until well blended.
• Melt 4 Tbsp Butter and 4 Tbsp Olive Oil together for Filo leaves.
• In 13×9 pan, brush bottom of pan with Butter/Olive Oil. Place one sheet of Filo down. Brush with butter/oil lightly sprinkle with a little parmesan. Repeat in the same manner with half of Filo sheets.
• Spread the Spinach mix on the filo, in the pan.
• Repeat the Filo sheet, butter/oil, parmesan layers with the remaining filo.
• Score through all layers into 10-12 servings.
• Bake for 24 mins.
• Cool, 10 mins. Eat up!