What’s Happening? January 20232023-01-02T14:51:14-05:00

Home Forums General Quacker Chatter What’s Happening? January 2023

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Happy New year Everyone!
      We had a nice Christmas. A fun day together with everyone(I hope) enjoying their gifts and the Christmas decorations and a nice meal together.
      I always enjoy the week between Christmas and new Years as it gives me a chance to enjoy the pretty decorations and relax and maybe watch some old movies and just chill.
      We ran over to Costco last Friday since we needed to cash in our checks from using their credit card before the year was over. While there we stocked up on meats again and Greg cut the stuff all up and vacuum packaged it. Also I took the time to straighten the freezer and throw out old expired stuff that got pushed to the back and no one know was there anymore. Now it is nice and neat and we can see everything that we have again. Now the trick is to keep it that way.
      We bought some crab legs at Costco so we had that and filets for New Years Eve. It was better than a fancy restaurant. lol We actually stayed up until midnight too. That’s hard to believe. lol
      Now I’m looking forward to the days starting to get a little longer.
      I have a check up with the cardiologist tomorrow. Basically a blood pressure check. The weather is supposed to be warm but maybe rainy.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      Sounds like you had a really good Christmas. We enjoyed ours with the little ones. We bought Nova a bus that she can push and walk pushing. She was really excited to get that. It plays music and did all kinds of different things. Grayson got one of those things from QVC that dances and wiggles it fanny. Aliza likes it also so will get her one for her birthday.
      Your News Year Eve meal sounds better then ours. We had fried ham and potatoes. So it was not fancy just simple. It was just the two of us here. Danyielle had a party but we did not go. It is all young people so we do not think we would fit in.
      I hope that every thing went well for you at the cardiologist. I do not like going to doctors but it seems like that is all we do anymore. We have not been doing much since the holiday. Just sitting around watching our hair turn grey.
      That is all from here. Have a good night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

HAPPY NEW YEAR, LADIES,
      I hope everyone had a good Christmas with your friends & families. I didn’t do anything special Christmas. I did go out to dinner NYE with Diane, & Marilyn to celebrate our birthdays. Diane’s is the 31st, & mine is coming up. The weather was pretty nice for this time of yr. We had freezing rain a few days before but it was looong gone by then. Thankfully.
      Some of the residents put on a Christmas dinner for all of us. That was nice.They also did a get together for NYE which was nice. I didn’t go since I’d just got home from our dinner. I was soo tired & stuffed like a turkey I couldn’t muster up enough energy to go.
      Critt’s getting grumpier lately. We always knocked on his door to let him know when he had pkgs delivered. But I was talking to one of the neighbors today & he told me about Critt. Critt & I had a falling out a few months ago so we aren’t communicating anymore.
      I’ve started taking down my decorations. I’ve gotta downsize, so I’m getting smaller containers then I’ll donate the rest.
      Well, that’s all for tonight.
      Take care, stay safe & stay warm.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I am sorry to hear about Critt. Does he still live next door to you? Hopefully he will quit being so crabby. I guess he must not be feeling well that will make you crabby.
      Sounds like you had a nice dinner with your friends. That was nice that they had a Christmas dinner for everyone. Sounds like you have some nice people in your building.
      I have been giving some of my decorations away also. We have too many and we do not have as much room anymore. I have gotten rid of some of the shelves and our entertainment center so that took away a lot of space.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      For some reason every word I type I get a red line under each word!! I don’t know what I did. I’m slowly getting my Christmas things taken down. The tree is still up & I enjoy the lights. I hate taking it down because of the lights. The apt will sound like an echo chamber once the tree is gone. Empty!!
      I guess we’re in for a soggy weekend. It’s part of the bomb cyclone that’s hitting Ca. Some of it is headed our way.
      Nothing going on here so that’s all I have for tonight. ‘
      Take care.
      dd

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Omg. I wrote a whole post of all my news, with pics. It disappeared
      I am doomed not to be able to post here anymore!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

I just read all your posts
      DD I am sorry about you and Critt. Very sorry
      Thsnk you got that beautiful saying about broken hearts. I live it do much I photo shot it. Very comforting
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Lol. Aren’t you guys glad I’m back so you can laugh at all my typos????

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Adele,
      Oh good you got back on here. I just posted on the November thread thinking you might get a notification.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gsilster
      Thank God I was finally able to get back on!
      Thanks for sending a Nov thread As of todsy I am good. But I keep having to sign back in.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hello everyone
      Is everyone ok?
      Hoping you are all healthy and fine
      Adele

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

HI Ladies,
      I hope everyone is having a good weekend. We’re having a sogfest out here. I’m still trying to ge.t things put away. I don’t have much to talk about, I was just checking in. I’m going to decorate for spring
      I need some color in here.
      Well, that’s all for now. Have a wonderful week.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Things are not too good here. Another one of Ron’s cousins died last week. They buried one of his cousins on Monday and the other on Friday. I cannot believe that this is happening. Ron has a large family so we could go thru this for a long time. He has a lot of cousins and he still has aunts and uncles living. We could spend a lot of time going to funerals.
      I guess it is our time of life to go thru this. I am not very good company right now. All of this going on and I fell again. I have to go to the doctor Monday and see if everything is ok.
      Have a good night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I was wondering if you were getting some of that rain that is out that way. Those poor people in California with all the rain and storms that they are getting. That is a mess. I just pray that it ends for them soon.
      I posted what is going on here on Adeles if you want to read it.
      Have a good night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

HI Everyone,
      DD, I hope everyone out west will be able to dry out soon. I hear more rain is coming this week though.
      Colleen, I’m sorry that you fell again. I hope everything will be okay with you.
      I’m sorry to hear about Ron’s cousins. As you say since he has a big family there could eventually be a lot of funerals. We are definitely at the time of life where we attend more funerals than weddings. Every time we are just glad that it is not us. We are reminded of life’s preciousness which is a good thing.
      We’re always thankful to be alive.
      I have lost track of most of my cousins. I didn’t have many to begin with but i really don’t know where most of them are or if any have died. Kind of sad.
      I had my check up with the cardiologist last week and everything was good.
      Greg went to see his today so hopefully he will be good too.
      He has really been suffering with the sciatica lately. It came on in October and then it got better and now it’s back worse then ever. I think he should go to the doctor again but we’ll see.
      We haven’t been doing much. I guess we don’t feel like going out much in the dark and the cold. But I start to get cabin fever around this time so I will have to find something for us to do once in a while.
      Adele, I was just thinking about this for some reason. Didn’t you say you lived over seas when you were a kid. Was it in Germany and how long did you live there? Did you learn the language? Was your father assigned there? Did you go to school there? Where you in a city or the country. What do you remember? Okay-I’ll stop being nosy now. I’m just a curious person. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      I hope your weather improves. It looks awful on the news SO glad you are ok!
      I’ve been doing needlepoint in this gross weather. It’s snowed the last 2 days. Nit much, just dreary and cold. I’ll attach a pic if the cud Eric case I did for Steph
      Prayers sent gif good weather!
      Adele

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Dearest Colleen
      I am so sorry for all you are going through. To lose people close together is very hard, as I know There is not much anyone can say to make you feel better. I am truly sorry. My thoughts snd prayers go out to all of you.
      I hope you did nit do any permanent damage when you fell. A fall at our ages is never good. Please let us know what the doctor said. Prayers sent!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      My grandfather was dying from cancer. So I went to Germany with my mother, and my Dad had to apply for active duty in Germany. He came months later. My grandfather lasted a year. My Dad and mom stayed for 5 years. First we lived at my grandfathers house, then we lived in base. We were in the Stuttgart area. Yes, I speak fluent German. I was only 8 when we went, so I picked up the language in a couple of months
      My Dad was teaching ROTC at Harvard when he had to apply for active duty. He retired when we got home, 5 years later, and then taught ROTC at Gloucester High School after he retired.
      So….. that’s the whole story! Lol
      Hope Greg’s report is also good from the doctor. Sciatica is awful. I get it in and off from my back. It’s miserable. I know how he feels. Sorry he has to go through that!
      Adele…. Prayers sent!!

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      So if you were there for five years that means you were 13 when you returned state side.
      Do you remember if that was scary coming back and starting over as an adolescent?
      When you were over there did you get to visit other parts of Europe?
      Now I am just an arm chair traveler but I am always so curious as to what the sights in the rest of the world look like.
      I wish I would have had more opportunities to see the world in my younger days when I could get around better.
      We just never think we might get older and be less mobile.
      Do you remember if Stuttgart showed signs of bombing from the war?
      So was your Dad teaching during the war or was he active duty?
      My Dad was somewhere over in France. He never really talked about his military service and we never found out until after he died that he was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a modest man.
      Is it gloomy by you? It’s been gloomy here forever so today I am pretending that the sun is out just to try and make things more cheerful. lol
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      I was 13. A freshman in high school. We came back in December just before Christmas. We landed in My Dad had his car sent ahead and we drove back to Boston in a snow storm. I was thrilled to be home with my Nonna, aunts snd Uncle. I missed my Italian relatives, snd the family gatherings where you could barely hear yourself talk. Lol
      It was an adjustment. I didn’t do well in public school, in Boston. Way to crazy So, my Dad pulled me out snd put me in Catholic school.
      My Dad was in the artillery in the war. Today he would have been called a sharp shooter??? Not sure. When he returned from the war was when he taught ROTC. He also taught soldiers his yo shoot. St the high school he had the drill team. They marched in every parade in Boston fir all the holidays. He was very proud of them.
      My Dad NEVER talked about the war. Never spoke if what they did or what he saw. You just knew it was not nice. Not that war ever is nice.
      It’s sleeting up here tonight. Yuck. Sipisdf to go to rain or snow.
      I finished the coin purse for Steph. Pic attached 😃
      Have a good night!
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      You had an interesting life Adele. The only place that we went when we were kids was Old Mexico. We just went for two weeks. so it was not an adventure like you had. It must have been interesting. I am like Gail I am an arm chair traveler. That is one thing I miss about my brother. He use to travel a lot. He would tell us all about his travels and show us pictures. We always had such a good time.
      Do any of your grands speak German? How about your kids? Now I am getting noisy.
      Gail did you do much traveling with your parents? What countries have you visited? Mexico is not much of a adventure but that is all I have. lol You have traveled a lot around the states.
      Not a lot going on here. I have to have an x-ray of my pelvic area and an MRI. I guess falling on a concrete porch is a lot worse then falling on a wooden porch. I hope they say that I am just sore and nothing is cracked or broken. He is talking about me using a cane. I am not steady enough on my feet. I am not ready to walk with a cane all the time.
      Well that is all from here. Have a good night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      It was interesting for sure I think it’s why I hate to travel. I’d rather be in Mass, than go out of state I
      Did like going to NH on weekends with Gary and snowmobiling with friends. But that’s as far as I cared to go. Lol
      What I lived to do was your the castles in Germany on the weekends. They were so beautiful,!inside and out The gardens and grounds were spectacular! It was my favorite place to go
      I’m sorry you fell snd don’t feel good. Please use the cane!! You can’t chance another fall. You can get a Hurry Cane. They come in pretty colors. Please be careful. Old people falling is how we can end up in a nursing home!!! I’m praying for you🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻👍👍👍👍♥️♥️♥️♥️
      Luv u!!!

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Snowmobiling sounds like a lot of fun. I have never done that but we use to go sledding. We use to go to art hill by the museum. It was a long hill and everyone would get their sleds and go down that hill. It was not fun walking back up the hill but we all did it. You would find a lot of the teens there and younger there and adults. It was just a fun place to go sledding.
      I am so sore from that MRI yesterday. My neck is really sore also. They lay you on a hard table and expect you to get up feeling great. I had to lay there for 30 minutes and not move. Never going to do it again. Thank You for the prayers .
      Luv U

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      I hope you are feeling better today! Please let us know when you get the results. I’m praying for you!!
      Playing in the snow is always fun. Now it would be too cold for us. Lol
      The sun is still not out up here. It’s going to rain again, and then a wintry mix into Tuesday. I swear if the sun comes out we’ll need sun glasses inside the house!!
      We had deer on the mountain and in my neighbors yard yesterday. I like to think Gary sent them to make me smile for my birthday!! I’ll attach a pic
      Bobby made breakfast for everyone this am. Marissa could not bring Santino because he has RSV and an ear infection. He face timed me. The poor thing’s voice sounds awful. I would love to hug him to sleep. His poor cute little self!
      Later we’re having my favorite cake. Black Forest Cake. Bobby got it for me
      Even though I’m missing my daughter, mother and husband, I am blessed with those I still have in my life. I pray God doesn’t take anyone else until I am WAY gone!!!!!
      Happy Sunday Birthday day…. Lol
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Everyone.
      I hope you are all okay.
      We had quite a bit on snow over the weekend. But fortunately it can down over several days and wasn’t a hard blowing snow. Although it was blowing on Friday so we decided not to go to Jenny’s that night.
      Colleen, how was the MRI? I hope there were no breaks or cracks.
      Greg is still struggling with the sciatica. He’s just coming off a few days of prednisone and is having an MRI next week and being sent to a pain doctor.
      I hope they can find some way to help him as he is miserable all the time and it has affected his spirit and attitude.
      Adele, how is Santino after the RSV. It’s funny now that disease has been in the news since the fall and I don’t remember hearing about it when our kids were little.
      When you had the place in New Hampshire how far of a drive was it to get there? I’ll bet it was lots of fun.
      My parents had snowmobiles at their place up north too but I was already in college when they bought it so I didn’t go up as much as I would have if they had bought it when I was younger. That’s one regret that I have since they offered it to us before they sold it but we were just married and couldn’t afford it. But Greg would always have loved a house on a lake in that area so I wish that things had been a little different or that they had held onto it as a summer home when they moved down south so he would have had a chance to go there because he would have loved it. My Dad loved to fish and so does Greg.
      Adele, the castles in Germany sound so beautiful-and so much more ancient than anything we have here. Our country is like a baby compared to some of the other countries.
      DD, how are things out west? Did you and Critt ever mend fences? That’s an unusual name-I think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard it.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey everyone
      It was a 2 1/2 hour drive to NH with no traffic. Was getting to be too much for both of us

Santino us ok. Still has ear infection. The RSV is no longer contagious, snd he’s feeling ok from that. Thank God

The castles were very pretty. You should Google them snd see the pics.

I’m exhausted. Was up early this am. Then had the girls from work over for belated birthday celebration. We had pizza snd cake. Pic of cake attached. It’s a Bundt cake from a bakery thst only makes Bundt cakes. Very yummy

I’m off to watch TV in bed. Lol

Hope Colleen’s MRI went well. Hope DD is ok too!!

Luv u guys!

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

HI Ladies,
      I”m gonna try this again. This is a test to see if this site is working or not.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hey there,
      It worked! Boy, it looks like you guys are gonna get really hard!! We’ve been having bitter cold (for us) temps this week. No moisture in the air tho. When the East winds come blowing through it clears out any/all moisture in the air. We’ve been down into the 20s at night (below zero in some areas). Highs only just above freezing. Some were calling for snow, but I didn’t see any. I’ll be soooooo glad when we all warm up!!
      I’ve started decorating for spring, I need color around here. I went a little crazy with my fairy lights around the living room. I missed the lights from Christmas so I put them around my bookshelves. they’re on timers so I don’t have to go around turning them on & off.
      Oh, Critt is the shortened version of his last name, Crittendon. His first name is James.
      Well, that;s all for now.
      take care, stay safe & warm.
      dd

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      I’m so happy to hear from you! I figured you were all decorated for Spring and Easter. You’re way ahead of the rest of us.
      You are so right. We all need happy colors in our life
      Have you watched the new “ Night Court” yet? I’m not sure if I will like it yet.
      It’s going to be freezing up here on Friday. Your cold is in its way here…..
      Have a good night
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I have not heard from the doctor yet. He wants to read it and see why I am having the problems I am having. I cannot walk up and down steps without holding onto a railing or if Ron helps me. I have been falling a lot also. Getting old is not for the weak.
      I hope that Greg will be ok. I do not like having an MRI. I was so sore after they got done with it I could hardly move. My neck was hurting really bad. You have to lay so still thru that. Hopefully he will not go thru that.
      Here I am complaining and all of you are having problems of your own. Poor little Santino. He has caught a lot of different things hasn’t he. Grayson just turned three. Time is going by so fast. How old is Santino? He is the same age as Grayson I think. Is he three already or will he turn three soon? They are growing too fast and making us older. The cake you had for your birthday looks really good. Sounds like you had a good birthday. It was nice that your friends came over to celebrate with you.
      Gail I was wondering about your weather. We had ten inches of snow and our electric went off for 17 hours. We are lucky that we have a generator. At least we could keep the fridge running and we could run one of the electric heaters that we have. So at least we had one room was warm.
      DD it sounds like you are having a lot of cold weather there. This weather is crazy this year. It seems like it is effecting everyone all over the country. This will probably raise food prices this summer. Everything is getting so expensive. Do you hear from Critt at all? It is a shame that you had a falling out. It was nice to have a friend that you could have a meal with once in awhile. I can understand how you feel about the house being dreary after all the Christmas things down. I should put some lights up around here.to brighten the house up. I still have some Christmas things up. I should take them all down.
      Well that is all from here. Have a great day and stay safe.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen
      You complain all you want!! We all want to know how you are doing We’re all praying for you I hope you get good results. At least results that have a solution that is simple to solve🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Santino just turned 3. Marissa stopped by today. The poor kid has another fever! She felt he liked tired and used my thermometer. I hope it’s nothing serious. He has continued to be sick for weeks. You get concerned. At least I do. I worry about all of them

You gave all had terrible weather. Ours keeps changing to rain. We have been lucky with snow this year. Tomorrow night into Saturday will be frigid. Then the weekend back to 40. This is nuts.

The cake my friends brought was delicious. Do was the Black Forest cake Bobby got.

I’ve been working like crazy on Enzo’s stocking. Trying to get it done do I can go back to the smaller coin snd cosmetic purses snd ornaments. It’s fun to get things done faster to see the end of the project. Lol
      Have a good day!!
      Adele.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      This weather is really crazy. I like the snow but not the ice. At least I can go out in the snow and get around but not the ice. It is hard for me to stay on my feet when there is ice out there but the snow is easy to walk thru.

I thought that Santino and Grayson were the same age. They are at a cute age. They can do everything for themselves and like to play games and read books. They get more interesting the older they get.

It sounds like you have been busy. It is good that you have needle point to work on. I need to find something to work on. I need to find a hobby I just do not have one. Well that is about all from here. I am so tired today So I think that I will get off here.

Have a great night and stay safe.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      It’s cute our grands are the same age. They will be having the same milestones at the same time for us to share and enjoy
      I can’t believe our kids up here have school today. The wind chill is 40 below zero! We have not even had one snow day up here!
      I hope you get the results on your MRI soon ….praying for good news
      Stay warm today
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      It’s cute our grands are the same age. They will be having the same milestones at the same time for us to share and enjoy
      I can’t believe our kids up here have school today. The wind chill is 40 below zero! We have not even had one snow day up here!
      I hope you get the results on your MRI soon ….praying for good news
      Stay warm today
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Better late than never. Starting a new discussion page for February.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

I don’t see a February page. Lol

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

I just checked and it’s there. You have to go the main discussions page click on General Quacker chatter and it should be there at or close to the top.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Ok. Lol

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email

Share this with a Smile
X Close
Watch QVC
top finds links QVC LIVE QVC PLUS QVC UK