Quacker Talk September 20192019-09-01T09:59:13-04:00

Home Forums General Quacker Chatter Quacker Talk September 2019

Viewing 145 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I hope you all are having a good weekend. Prayers for anyone who is in the path of Dorian.
      Colleen, I think Val is going to be back on DWTS-plus he is married now so he will be competing against his wife Jenna. I like them as a couple. I really won’t miss Artym that much as I always thought he was kind of crabby. I see pictures of him hanging out with Nikki Bello so maybe they have a thing going on. I think Sharna is doing some choreography so maybe she is too busy to come back. I think most of the people who don’t come back are doing other things. Your Labor Day picnic sounded like fun. I love craft booths!
      I’m glad Aliza is liking preschool and that she has a nice teacher. it’s funny when you ask the little ones about school-the answers that you get. lol
      Kendall likes junior high and switching classes although she says she doesn’t like school but I think that is just a thing that kids say.
      Greg did go to Canada fishing-he has been doing that for several years now with Tim and his brother. I think he has fun for a week but then is glad to come home.
      Adele,
      I hope Aizen finds a friend quickly and that school ends up being a positive for him. I always suspect that something happened to me in kindergarten that I repressed and wouldn’t tell anyone-now that would never happen now a days as the teacher would tell the parents-but this was back in the dark ages and the nuns had the last word on everything. Maybe I should have a hypnotist age regress me to find out. lol
      There isn’t a drop dumpling soup I just sometimes make drop dumplings for a side dish-it’s just eggs and flour and salt dropped from a spoon into a boiling liquid-I use chicken bouillon flavored with onion flakes-these were the same dumplings my mom used for chicken and dumplings. They taste kind of like noodles in the form of a ball. lol
      So Friday night Greg asks Piper what he should be when he grows up-and she looks at him and answers-“old.” That cracked us all up. She had made cards for us-mine she decorated with butterflies and Greg’s she decorated with a pond and a fishing boat.
      Have a great rest of your weekend everyone.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Oops! I forgot to post my September pictures.

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      OMG, that Piper is hysterical. You never know what she is going to say. They are so cute at that age.
      The boys were here, and just left to go to the Mall with tier parents to get school shoes. I will load the pics of the crafts we did. We were like Greg….we played a lot of “Go Fish”….LOL LOL Aizen loves that game.
      I also hope he finds a little buddy. I am dying to get on here and say he had a good day, and has a friend. All you really need is one friend to brighten any day. Just one….please God!!
      I think you may have been traumatized by the separation. I had a real hard time in Kindergarten, per my Mom. I cried every day, and the teacher told my Mom to leave, because I would cry more until she was gone. Tillie said she cried every day when she dropped me off. I guess the two of us were quite an annoyance to the mean Kindergarten teacher….LOL Accept, i did not get to escape her grasps….LOL
      Heather cried every day too- when she was taken to day care. She was miserable. It was awful, accept the day care teachers were very kind, and helped as much as they could.
      Hope your weekend goes well…….the rest of mine should be quiet…I think.
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      That picnic is always fun. They always have such different things there. It changes every year. They usually have someone selling candles and soap. They did not sell any of that this year. They also had people that sold homemade wax that has a scent. I do not know why they did not come this year unless they could not get a spot to set up. It seems like they had a lot more booths this year.
      I am glad that Kendall likes changing classes. They all get to that age where it is cool not to like school. Owen has not said anything about not liking school this year but it will probably come later. He is so busy with his racing he does not think about how he feels about school.
      I must have misunderstood. Maybe it is just Max that is not coming back. I did not know that Val’s wife was coming back. I cannot wait until it comes back on. It has not been on for a long time. I wonder how they are going to change the voting rules. It will have to be something really different because it will always be a popularity contest. It is a shame that they do not vote on talent.
      Well that is about all from here Have a great night.
      Colleen
      p.s. Thanks for starting the new post you are always so good about doing that. I like the picture of the goat in a chicken costume.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      And here I thought that goat was dressed like a duck! I often try to add something “ducky” to honor Quacker factory. Gosh, I was just thinking that I came on here in 2010 and you and Sue were already on here so you must be here over 10 years. Isn’t that kind of amazing? With all the bad stuff the internet does do good things too. Thank goodness for internet shopping!
      I always laugh when the kids say they don’t like school. When you are 11 years old what else would you be doing-you surely don’t want to be working. That comes soon enough and then there are 40 plus years of that before you can retire. I wonder what work will be like for our grands. Maybe many more people will work at home by then. I’m always amazed with the advent of the internet how many people already work from home-at least part time. Just think all of the advances that we have seen in our lives-imagine what our grands will see. Mostly during their lifetimes I hope the world becomes a more loving place and that they will see peace and an end to violence. I am feeling very introspective this morning for some reason. I think it always happens to me in the fall-as the greenery dies off and I approach getting another year older it always gives me pause to reminisce and reassess.
      Maybe the people that sold candles and soap were at a different fair this year or had another commitment. I always wonder what happens to people that you see at a booth year after year and then one year they don’t show up. I always hope that they are absent for a good reason.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

HI Adele,
      Yes, Piper is at a cute age. I want to savor this time while she still wants to cuddle and converse with us instead of having her nose stuck in a screen.
      I will pray that Aizen finds a buddy and that he loves school. I wonder if the book report is to give each kid a chance to talk in front of the others and sort of loosen things up. I can see how it might be a good tactic. I’m assuming it’s an oral report on a book which was read to them as kindergartners don’t read or write yet.
      So what crafts did they work on? I am with Steph on this one-it’s better for him not to be singled out by being maybe the only one to bring the teacher a gift on the first day.
      Your house certainly has a revolving door policy. What happens if someone stops by and you don’t have goodies to serve them? Do they leave? lol Maybe somebody should bring you goodies sometime. lol
      You know it’s funny that you said that about crying from the separation at kindergarten. I don’t remember my parents at all from that time period. I remember my grandparents and uncle plain as day-but I have no recollection of my parents. We lived with my grandparents at the time and both Mom and Dad worked so my grandmother and I buddied around. We would have tea and crackers every afternoon. And I would drag the Sears catalog onto my uncle’s lap and would bore him with hours of playing “what do you like.” He was a saint. lol
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail I think that is a duck as chickens don’t have a bill like that.

I heard Sharna was not ask back to DWTS & was upset about it. She may be doing other things but it was not her choice to not come back. They just really need to clean up the voting process.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      I didn’t realize that Sharna was not asked to come back. I thought she was doing choreography somewhere. I feel bad if she wanted to come back and wasn’t asked. I wonder how they determine who to ask and who not to ask. I actually don’t watch it for the “stars” anyway. I like to see the costumes and to watch the pros dance-so it matters very little to me who the stars are. It’s actually kind of interesting to find out about people who I knew little or nothing about-like some of those race car drivers that I knew nothing about and who came on and were very good dancers.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      No, it is a written report- the parents have to do the writing, of course. I think it is nuts, as the kids do not write yet.
      I’m attaching a pic of the crafts. We liked the crafts so much, we are getting some for the shower, and will have a craft table for the kids there.
      There is always some cookie, or something in the cabinets they like. Now, i have to keep double stuffed Keebler Elfwich in stock- per prego. How funny is that?? Sometimes they bring something they want- like the bakery pizza, or a certain thing they desire that I do not have….LOL
      I need all the prayers we can get for Aizen to have a friend….help!
      That is so cute about you and your grandmother. Kids remember different things. Steph was convinced her mother was never around, and that my Mom was with her all the time. that was because Heather worked, and by the time she was home, it was just tubby time, dinner, and off to bed for her.
      You might like those crafts for Piper and the kids- got them from Oriental Trading, and no glue required, accept the eyes of the pom pom pumpkin.
      Its raining up here….yuck. Still better than Florida. Still praying for them down there.

Sue
      That’s too bad about Sharna. I liked her. I agree about the voting process. Still can’t belieev that guy won last year.
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

As you know I have no kids but could having the children do a report with the parents help be to see how well they pay attention and do they understand what they hear. I think it would help a teacher know who may need a little more help. I do not know about kindergarten as I was not sent. I just went straight to 1st grade. I loved school. But I think kids should not get to say if they want to go or not. Just tell them it is time to go and get an education. I have seen so many that don’t want to go & the parents just home school them. I think they need to be out & learn how to get along with others. Just my opinion that’s worth nothing. I also know 2 people that went on to college & came home the first week because they missed mommy. That is a lot of money to not even give it a try. A lot of kids would love to go to college & can’t afford it & these just don’t take advantage of the opportunity. I know there is a big age difference from kindergarten to college but it all starts from not wanting to leave the parents.
      We are having a wet Labor Day. It rained yesterday with thunderstorms overnight. When I woke up I discovered the power had been out as the clock was flashing. Today it has been off & on showers. Right this minute the sun is out but don’t expect it to last long. While I am not on the coast we may get rain & wind left over from the hurricane this weekend. It sure caused a lot of destruction in the Bahamas. Such a shame it was beautiful there & the poor people are just trying to make a living.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I do not know why I wrote chicken I meant duck. I was having an off day. Sorry about that The goat was still really cute. No matter what he was dressed up as.
      Sue and I have been on here for a long time. Sue was on here before me so I guess that she has been on here the longest. It has always been such a fun site. Everyone has always got a long and never said anything unkind to anyone or about anyone. I hope that it never changes.
      If kids at that age was not in school they would be talking about how bored they are at home. They never have anything to do or any place to go. We heard that a lot while the kids were here. My daughter said they talk like that when they are at home.
      Did you do anything today. Ron and bbqed today. We were the only ones here and it was kind of nice. We had ribs and pork steaks, corn on the cob and potato salad. It was a simple meal and for once and I did not make too much food. I think that I am finally learning.
      I use to laugh that one day we will not do anything there will be robots. Now I am not too sure the way things are going. Our grands may have that happen to them. They may not have to do anything for themselves. Robots will do it all and they will just give it orders. That really scares me. We will all be useless.
      Well that is all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      The goat was cute. It looks like it’s sitting on a couch-so here’s the question- who brings their goats in the house? They are kind of poop machines so that would be interesting. I try to find some kind of cute duck thing to post-not every month but a lot of them.
      You are welcome too-I don’t mind starting the monthly thread at all. I just have to remember when the months change which I don’t always do. lol
      You are right-if the kids were home they would be saying that they are bored. I guess a lot of those kids in the areas that are in the path of the storm were supposed to go back to school today but the start has been pushed back a day or two because of the hurricane. I hope everyone will be safe and that they will have schools to go back to.
      We barbecued ribs too. It was just me and Greg. We used to have Jenny and the kids over but I know that she and the kids have plans on their days off so I just have stuff for me and Greg now. It’s fine as he usually golfs and then does chores in the afternoon.
      Hey! I wouldn’t mind having a robot to clean my house and cook my meals. lol Who knows what the future might bring for our grands. Hopefully it’s good things.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      Yes, the devastation in the Bahamas is horrible-plus I’m afraid that there have been lives lost too.
      That is a good thought on the kids and their report-it may give the teachers an idea on how well the kids listen and understand.
      I never thought about kids being home schooled because they didn’t want to go to school. Most of the people that I have come across that did it wanted to keep their kids away from outside influences for either moral or religious reasons. I personally always thought that those kids missed out on a lot socially and also wondered about the quality of their educations as for the most part they are being taught by a parent who is not a teacher with a specialty in a particular area. As to the kids coming back from college I guess that some kids are not mature enough to leave home at 18-maybe in those cases they would have been better off going to a junior college for a couple of years. Each kid is different and what works for one may not work for the next one.
      So since Colleen said that you were the first one of us on here-what was it like back then. Were there many people talking? I know when I came on there were some other people. And of course after Jeanne died there were a ton of people. Now I guess most people prefer Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Even the Q community is not nearly as active as it used to be. Of course some of that is due to the strict policies on what you can and cannot post.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Those crafts are adorable. Good idea to have a craft table for the kids at the shower. They will love it.
      It would be interesting to find out from the teacher why she had the book report. What book did Aizen choose? Our grands go to the library all the time and I am so happy to see that. Maybe it’s because I took our kids to the library from a young age. They started with preschool story hour. We had the most wonderful children’s librarian back then. I remember the first few times with Brent I had to stay as he didn’t want me to leave. I remember he and this other boy had to have their mother’s stay the first few times. Then when he got to know the other kids he was fine. Like I said every kid is different but it usually all works out in the end. Sometimes we have to find creative solutions.
      I used to love those Keebler double stuffed elf cookies and have them all the time. Now I haven’t had them in years but now that you mentioned them I remember how good they were and will have to get some more. lol
      I can’t believe how that hurricane just slowed down and hung over the Bahamas like that. I imagine that you will get some rain as it comes up the coast and goes out to sea. We have rain here today but will clear up for the rest of the week.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      I believe you are right. the teacher wants to know if the children can pay attention. I just hate that they make the kids grow up too fats, and expect way too much in the early grades.
      Oh….Steph told me it was not one book report, it was 3. I could not believe my ears.
      The other thing that bothers me is everything is on line. These kids do not know how to write a letter by hand, without spell check. I just think that is wrong. I remember handwriting was a skill to be proud of. No more. I guess I am old fashioned, and feel all this accelerated learning, with help from Siri, etc is a little much. What happened to using your actual brain, and going to the library? These kids will never know the nice smell of a library with all the books!!
      I also do not think you have to have kids to have an opinion. Your opinions are valid, and important.
      By the way, that is such a shame that the kids came home when they were in college, as so many do not even have any funds to go at all. Maybe when they get to be older, they would go. Who knows!
      Hey…AGT is on tonight- woohaa!!
      We had awful storms and rain last night. Getting more rain storms tomorrow late.
      Hope your night goes well, and you do not lose any more electricity.
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I never heard of kids having to do book reports that do not know how to read. It is even harder to believe that they have to do three. I think I read that right. I hope that he enjoys listening to books. I know that all of our kids loved to be read to by me or their grandma. I am so glad that the moms do the reports. It would be hard for the kids.
      We were supposed to have storms tonight but they went around us. I am really glad about that I hope that you do not get any of the storms either. They have been saying that the hurricane is not as strong as it was and it is changing directions. I hope they are right. That is the weather men here. I have not watched the national weather. So do not know what they are saying.
      The crafts that you made with Aizen are really cute. I agree with Gail that is a really good idea that you have a craft table for the little ones at the shower. It will keep them busy and they will not get bored.
      We always have cookies or chips in the cabinet for the kids to eat. They are store bought I have not been doing much baking. They seem to be happy with that so I guess it is fine.Ethan will any type of crackers that we have in the house. Kaylee and Ethan will eat any type of bread or rolls also. I do not see how they stay so skinny.
      Ron is sick today. He usually does not get sick so he so not taking it well. I fixed some soup for him for dinner and gave him some crackers. That was about all he ate today. I sure hope that he feels better tomorrow.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      It is hard to get use to it just being the two of us on special days. Mandy and the girls use to always be here.Now they all work and cannot come as much anymore except Christmas.I am glad that they come here for Christmas.
      I feel bad for those kids that are in the way of the hurricane. They will start school so late and get out so much later then the other kids. I wonder if they find a way to keep their files so they do not get lost in the storms. I know that they are on computers but if the storms hit the schools I imagine that the computers are ruined.
      It would be nice to have robots doing all our work but do not know if I would have felt that way when I was younger. The robots will be doing all the work at the factories and offices. That would be horrible because our kids will not know how to do anything. Unless they are the ones that program or repair the robots. It just sounds scary to me.
      I cannot believe that it is September already. The older I get the faster time goes. You can’t help thinking that you would have spent more time with our parents. I wish that I would have written down some of the stories that she told me about when she was younger.She lived on a farm and they had a horse and wagon to use. They also had a car but no truck. It is just interesting to hear her talk about all the old times.
      Well that is about all from her. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I hope that Ron is feeling better today.
      I am kind of used to the kids not coming over for the 4th and other holidays like that. Since they work I’m sure they appreciate the day off to do other activities. We still get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas so that’s fine in my book.
      You know I don’t think robots will do everything as you still need someone to do all the programming and such. I bet we can’t even imagine what life will be like for our grands. Just like our grandparents never thought about computers and smart phones and the internet.
      You know my parents never really talked that much about old times. And of course I never paid much attention to that stuff when I was young. We never found out that my Dad was in The Battle of the Bulge until after he was dead-he never talked about being in WWII-but most of the men who came back from that war didn’t either. Your Mom must have lived in a very rural area if they had a horse and buggy. My parents lived in Chicago so there were streetcars and buses. Speaking of old times. When Greg started in the Paulist Choir at nine years old he used to take a bus from his house on the south side of Chicago to downtown Chicago for rehearsals. Can you imagine letting a nine year old in this day and age do that-his parents would be arrested. lol How times have changed.
      Yes, with each year time flies faster-I just heard an explanation of the reason for that a few days ago and of course I can’t remember what it was. lol That’s another thing that comes with age. Forgetfulness. lol Now where did I put those keys? lol
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hello Girls and Gailster
      After I finished the post to Sue, I got very sick. I was just thinking how great it was that my stomach felt much better since the change in arthritis med. then, BAM! I am better today. The belly just feels a little queezy.

So, as a result, I did not make it to the school this morning. They did face time me. They also sent pics.
      Well, the good news is The Aizen found 2 friends….LOL Steph sent me a pic of one of them the parents stayed with the kids today, and were out of school in a couple of hours. Tomorrow will be the first day he is there alone.

Ill find out from Steph what books he had to read. They are coming over after they pick up JJ. I can’t wait to see Aizen and hear what he has to say.

The devastation in the Bahamas is awful. It is like on 911, when you wait to hear the news reports, and pray they found a bunch of people.

I will answer the rest of the posts, but, have to stop when the kids get here….LOL

I did not enjoy AGT last night, as I kept running to the bathroom. Gary recorded it, so we ran through the contestants.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey colleen!
      What does Ron have- a belly or head thing? I am wondering if I caught Heather’s belly thing from last week. My friend Joyce is sick too- a real bad head cold.
      You did hear right- 3 books. I am still in awe over that one….LOL
      Thank you for the compliments on the cute crafts. I forgot to say thanks to the Gailster….THANKS GAIL!! LOL
      The hurricane is supposed to weaken and we will get lots of rain and wind, but nothing too bad. It always weakens over the colder water up here, so that is good. Gary still wants to try and get the pool covered before Friday. I don’t think that will work out.
      Tomorrow, Nancy and Gerald are coming for breakfast- we will get it from the diner down the street, as always.
      We are getting bad thunderstorms today- in a few hours…yuck
      The kids just pulled up, so I have to get moving…..luv all you guys!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Colleen
      Write down the stories you can remember, before it is too late. I bet you still remember a lot of them.
      These are the things we can no longer ask. So many times, i think of things I wish I had asked of my Nonna and Aunts. Still,we do have a lot that we do recall. Thank God!
      I am so sorry your Mom is gone. I will be there sooner than I want, as Tillie is starting to look very old. I am really hoping she nmakes it through this holiday season, and is able to hold Marissa’s baby, at least once. hell….I hope Gary and I will be able to hold him too….LOL
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hello to All. First news; Jerry fell. We are better but I am watching him so closely that he is mad as a hornet on top of being sore. We were walking around our yard looking up at our some trees and how the leaves are different this year; and down he goes. He had stepped into a hole that neither of us had seen; and he was walking right in front of me; so guess I would have gone down if he hadn’t. I heard a crack like sound which he swore I didn’t but I know I did. He and I had such a hard time getting him on his feet; he walks with a staff that our oldest son Buddy gave him a few Christmas’ ago made of the Yucca tree from N.M. It is as tall as Jerry and helps him balance as we walk. I have a much smaller cane stick from some kind of beautiful carved wood. They kept him overnite in the hospital; that made him even madder. Then we have had two follow up appts. and when they suggested he start using a walker for outdoor walks instead of his cane; he blew a gasket. I actually had to agree because this was truly an accident and anyone could have done this. But the main reason I have kept such a close eye on him is that when something happened in the past to him it seems he works so hard to prove he is fine that he overextends himself and does more damage. But; hopefully this was just a close call. The “crack” I heard they said was the rod in his spine. To be honest; I was so happy at that point to see all his limbs still working and no loss of feeling anywhere that I didn’t ask more.
      Sounds like you all have been really busy getting all the family off on their new school year adventures and helping them to settle in to their new routines. I always wonder how the little ones accept their new teachers/friends/schedules. I am so happy Adele that little Aizen has made friends. I know you are too. I am astounded at three book reports. Just my opinion girls; but it seems to me that children are just not allowed/encouraged to just be kids; but are rushed into academics and the precious world of make believe; imagination; and “pretend like” to coin a phrase from my childhood that we used to say to our little friends, has been lost somehow in push, push, push and technology. I also love the three R’s, reading, writing, and arithmatic, and mabey in your area its a standard, but here there are no tablets with lines for learning and practicing manuscript and it seems like I was in mabey the third grade or so before I was taught cursive writing. Do you all remember that when young women were thought to be so “marketable” after graduation from HS if they took a stenography class? Do they even do that anymore? I was a first grade “runaway”. Our home was a very short distance from school, and I hid in the bathroom twice after MaMa took me inside and they told me to go on to the classroom. In all the first of the year confusion I would just walk right out. Once I got home first. lol I was so sad and didn’t want to go to school at all. I just couldn’t understand why I had to go and the teacher was so strict. In fact; I got a spanking the first week of school, not for leaving school, but for pulling another childs hair when she pushed me down during recess. So ladies; I have led a wild life ha ha.
      It is so precious what little ones say isn’t it? They are just so open and honest. Of course; sometimes a little too honest. ha ha I was so excited Sunday. Neal called to ask me a cake question; since he was baking Sarah a birthday cake that day. And in the past, when the baby knows Neal is talking to us, he will start saying pretty loudly, PawPaw Paw Paw and THIS time he said MIMI want to see my new car??? I was of course, over the moon that he wanted to play with me before Jerry, and Jerry laughed at me so much later about how excited I was. Jerry said, he probably didn’t know I was here thats why he asked for you, joking with me. Sarah hasn’t ever had a cake made for her, and Neal I think is pretty set that the cake and candle celebration we always did will continue. I thought that was sweet of him.
      Sue , how are you enjoying that pretty new car? I bet you are really enjoying it. Yes, I think that you Sue, and Debra, and then Gail Collen and I came on about the same time to our site. I remember you taking the cruise with Jeanne and Angel, and Angel was still a model for the Q. Seems like yesterday. I don’t know so many of the hosts now. Some of them seem sort of egotistical; but that may be just me wishing I was young, a size 4, and on vacation as much as I was required to work. Gosh, that sounds terrible doesn’t it? Sorry. But give me a friendly, down to earth host who describes the item for sale and I am fine.
      Better close for now. Have missed you all. Hope everything is good. Colleen, I wish I had spent much more time talking to the older generation as I was growing up. I have so many unanswered questions. Hugs to everyone. Barbara oh forgot to say hi to DD.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gail and Colleen
      Yes, i agree things are going too fast. Remember when everyone had no car, or just one?
      When Dad’s came home every night to dinner, and all ate together, with no devices?
      How about the small tiny TV’s and everyone watched the same thing, and they shut off completely at 12:00?? Then, the family went to bed???
      Community phone lines, and you had to wait for the line to be free to make a call???
      An actual human operator???
      LOL LOL
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      Good God! I hope Jerry listens and doe snot do any more damage to himself. So, he did not break anything? just wondering if I read that right. So glad he did not dislodge the screws and rods. I always worry about that with me and Gary, as we both have them.
      I am beyond thrilled that Aizen has a friend. Here is what he said: He tells me they were doing a craft, and he said to the little boy next to him….”Do you want to be my friend?” The little boy said yes, and the rest is history.
      Steph told me Aizen made more than one friend. Dear God, the child is more like me than I know. I told him he will have many friends over the years, but a few will be very, very good friends, and his for life. I also told him a person can get through anything with a friend beside them. Friends are important.
      When I told him this, I was standing next to my “wall of misery” as I call it, when a pic gets added. I told him I have 3 good friends, and that Nancy is my bestest friend, and that I lost 2 good friends last year. He was curious as to how they died, and I had to be sure my words would not make him anxious…..they were very, very old …I started with. I showed him their pictures on the wall. He was so adorable, it just broke my heart to realize he is growing up.
      JJ said…nothing new in school, as he already knows everyone….LOL LOL He turns 13 next week!
      Please take care of yourself and Jerry. Gary also gets very annoyed when I follow him around and watch him like a baby. But, we have to do what we have to do, to make sure they stay alive. After all, they would do the same thing to us!!
      Love you, Missy Barb….cant wait to hear how the birthday cake works out!!!
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Ladies I have friends & relatives in the Carolina’s could you say a little prayer for their safety.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

I will do that right now Sue.
      I hope they will be safe and out of harm’s way.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      Absolutely! Of course we will all ad them to our prayers, and do some extra ones too!
      Let us know how they are, please.
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I was really lucky my mom was around when I got older. I loved to listen to her stories about what it was like when they were kids. She told me what it was like for the holidays. She said they used real grass in their Easter baskets. It was a certain type of grass that they used. It was really interesting to hear her stories.
      Ron is feeling a lot better. I was glad of that. He does not get sick that often and he worries me when he does. He does know how to act when he gets sick.
      Yesterday we went to Kimswick and had lunch and walked around to all the shops. My sisters and brother was with us. We just really had fun. We all wore hats around and got a lot of compliments. A couple of people in the shops said she was glad to see all of us wearing hats and that she hoped they wee coming back. You do see a lot more ladies wearing hats now though.
      My mom lived on a farm when she was little. Then they sold it and moved into town and my grandpa became a guard for Curtis right. My mom graduated from the same high school as I did. When she passes away I got her senior ring. It was so much different then my ring was, She held on to so many things .
      It is good that you see them every Thanks giving and Christmas. We do not see all the kids for those holidays anymore. It is really sad when that starts happening. We use to get together all the time but Melissa moved to Tennessee and Danyielle is with Kevin and they only come every other year. So it is really empty here without Aliza.
      I cannot imagine kids taking a bus that far on their own. Now adults do not go that far on a bus if they do not have to. It is really sad. It is also sad that kids cannot go outside and play all day and not have to be in eye sight all the time. We stayed outside until dinner time and then went back outside again and stayed out til dark. Then we would come home and we would stay in the front or back yard and my mom would sit on the porch and watch us or just talk to us. It was fun to look at the stars .
      Well I am probably boring you now so I will go. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Ron had a head ache and was dizzy. It is some type of bug that is going around here right now. Ron’s sister had it first and then he caught it. I hope that it does not get passed to me.
      We have not closed the pool. It is supposed to get up into the 90’s. next week and turn back into summer weather. So we will be able to swim for another couple of weeks. Do you put some type of beach ball or something under you pool cover? We were told to do that to keep the cover from falling into the pool if it rains or snows. It will get weighed down and sink into the water.
      I hope that you had a good breakfast with your friends. It is nice that you get together like that. I do not get together with any of the people that I worked with. We haven’t for years. Did Tillie come upstairs and have breakfast with you? I hope that she did. How is she feeling now? I hope doing better then she was.
      I will be glad when that hurricane goes back out into the ocean. I sure hope that Sue’s family and friends will be okay and all the other people that live in the Carolinas.
      Just enjoy all the time that you have with her. The time will come and we are never ready for it when happens. So lie I said enjoy the time that you have and try not to think about it. I was just glad that I got to spend the time I did with my mom. I have to stop talking about it now.
      We use to eat together when my kids were young. We were lucky that we did not have all the devices when our kids were young. Our grands are getting are missing out on a lot. It is a shame.
      I bought the cutest Santa yesterday. He has his sack of toys and getting ready to get into the house. For some reason I cannot spell chimmeny right tonight. I bought it at the Christmas store in Kimswick. We went there yesterday.
      Well that is all from here have a great night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen
      That was a nice story in the post to Gail about your Mom. She did hang on to her memories, and now you have them.
      I think they eat in the living room at Steph’s most days, in front of the TV. I prefer the table with everyone around it. When it is just us , we have the TV on to watch the evening news. So, I guess we are no better….LOL
      There is a pillow sold for pools. It is heavier material, and has secured holes on each side, so you can tie the pillow in the middle of the pool with rope to prevent it from moving in a storm. (You tie it on either side of the pool, so it stays in the middle) Those are better than trying to do it with a ball that you can’t secure, or keep inflated. They are pretty cheap, so it is not a big expense.
      We have gone straight to Fall form Summer, as usual. It is in the 60’s today, and next week will be around 70 for a high. So, you woul dhav to be very brave to go into our pool….LOL
      I am glad Ron is feeling better. I hope you do not get it.
      We are getting the hurricane tonight into tomorrow, and then Sunday will be nice. Gary did not get the pool cover on. Gary’s birthday is tomorrow, and JJ’s is Monday, so we are doing their birthdays on Sunday. Gary wants to have the pool ready, so he can get people to put the cover on.
      That is nice that you got a new Santa, and was able to go shopping with your sisters and brother in your cool hats. What did your hat look like?? The holidays will e here faster than we realize. I still have not been able to get more Halloween decorations out. We are always talking about, and doing something for the shower. I think I will only take out the lighted ceramic things I made and my Annalee Dolls for this year. the new baby has been taking up a lot of everyone’s time…LOL
      Tillie was still sleeping when Gerald and Nancy were here. We all had a good time chatting, and Gary ate with us, until he left for his customers in NH.
      I hope you will have a good weekend, and you and Ron can take some time to have a nice dinner out, or take-out!!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hope everyone is having a good evening. We are good. Jerry said his back is not as sore today; so hope we have turned the corner. It is hot here again. We are in the low 90’s and are to stay that way for several days they say. We cooked a pot of bean soup today; and I have a loaf of bread from the deli; and I actually overbake it a little to make it really crusty. Seems to soak up the good juice better to us but may not. lol I found a way on u tube to cook fresh corn in the microwave; so will make some too. This way you can only prepare one or two ears if that is all you need. Anyway, we went and got the oil changed in our car, stopped for chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, and so all in all we have gotten quite a bit accomplished for the two of us today. Jerry and I split the sandwich since we knew the bean soup would be so filling. Joey is coming by in a while, and Lisa will eat after she gets home this evening. She goes with the ortho group to football clinic on Friday night each week. Did I tell you all that Joey works the weekend shifts now each week and is doing classes online? So far; he seems to like it this way. We don’t ask much, but he is eating better; and seems more relaxed these days.
      Neal gave us a call after he picked up Colin today. He was telling us all about Colin playing on the soccer team now and how he had made a goal. Can you imagine, just turned 3 and already on the team. lol We could just hear the pride in his voice. Colin kept saying to us, “I can run fast Paw Paw” Then he asked me if I have any “butterflies” that he has one that Neal filled in and said “comes to play” with him. Love the sweet little stories and how much he is growing and changing with each day. Neal said his cake tasted good, but stuck to the pan. He said he didn’t care about that but asked me what I do? Told him all about spraying and dusting with flour. So I think it was a success.
      Glad that Ron is feeling better Colleen. Our men just have a harder time I think in taking it easy when they are sick. I just want to pull the cover over my head and stay in bed, but Jerry seems to push himself more and then get sicker. When I feel bad I am so grouchy, don’t mean to be just usually don’t even feel like talking. Or mabey I am just grouchier when I’m sick. lol It is remarkable that Greg is out and golfing and fishing after the scare you all had isn’t it Gail? Thank God they found this and were able to repair what needed to be and he is better than ever now. I know you all are so thankful.
      How are your eyes doing? Do you have to go for check ups more often or just yearly? Hope everything is doing well.
      Sue, praying that your friends are safe and sound in NC. Neal and his family live in Ashville, but they are safe from the storm. I have visited the outer banks of NC many times and it is so beautiful. I surely hope everyone will be safe in this storm. Poor people in the Bahamas. SUch devastation. Please let us know how things are for them.
      Adele, I think the kids table idea is so good. The little ones are not interested in so much of this celebration, and they need something to keep them busy. How thoughtful. Everything sounds so wonderful.
      Well, Joey is here so better go for now. Take care dear friends, will talk soon. Barbara

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you ladies for the prayers. As far as I know everyone is safe. It seems the Outer Banks got the worst of it. Now the hurricane has gone out to sea so none of us should get anything from it.
      I am so jealous of those of you with summer weather. We went straight to fall the end of August. It has been in the 50’s in the mornings. I wish I had worn a jacket when I went to the doctor as it was quite chilly. The nurse had on a fleece jacket. Then we get into the 70’s later in the day not bad but not summer. They are saying we may have a day in the 80’s mid week but I will wait until I see it. He also said no extended warm weather. So I guess I may as well have my AC taken out. Its going to be one very long winter.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      I’m glad your friends and family are safe. Our weather has been pretty much like yours. I enjoy the weather in the low 70’s. Temperature wish that’s my favorite-but it doesn’t last for long before the cold sets in.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      I am so glad that Jerry is doing better after his fall. I know when we are walking around on the property it is so easy to stick our foot in some sort of hole or dip. It’s also easy to twist an ankle.
      Yes, I am grateful every day that Greg’s blockage was caught in time. It really makes you reassess what is important in life. I always say we are blessed.
      It’s so cute to see the little kids playing soccer and tball when they barely know what they are doing. I hope Neal will send you a video of Colin.
      What kind of classes is Joey taking on line? Is he going for a masters? I’m glad that he seems more relaxed now. Hopefully he is over the hump of what was bothering him and you know all the tests turned out okay so that’s a good thing.
      My eyes are fine-right now it’s just a once a year check up unless I have a problem.
      I started doing the corn in the micro for just the two of us last year. It makes it super easy.
      Yes, I remember those stenography classes-back then it seemed like we women had three choices of a career-secretary, nurse or teacher. And that’s just until we found a husband and got married and had kids. We’ve come a long way baby! And boy I am so glad that our grands are growing up in a world where they can be anything that they dream to be whether they are male or female. I must say I always felt a bit robbed growing up the way we did under the stricter gender roles-there were so many fewer opportunities for women then-and there were little to none sports programs for girls if they were interested in that.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      Those were nice stories about your Mom. It was interesting that they used real grass in the baskets.
      What kinds of hats were you and your sisters wearing? She is right about more people wearing them. i was in a store with hats and fascinators and was asking the woman if they sold many. She told me I would be surprised as I guess teas are popular and a lot of women purchase the hats to wear to the teas. I do not look good in a hat at all. My sister does and I have a friend who does but they just make me look flat headed. lol I would need a fascinator.
      I’m glad Ron is feeling better. Men are hard when they are sick. When I am sick I just go to bed until I feel better. When Greg is sick he just wants to know when he will be better-and wants to do stuff before he should.
      You were saying how you liked to look at the stars as kids. We also used to lay on our backs in the grass and look at the clouds and try to see shapes in them. You get to be a grown up and we never take the time to do simple things like that anymore. Of course if we laid on our backs in the grass we would have a hard time getting back up off the ground. lol I guess we would have to lay in a lounge chair to do that now.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I’m glad that Aizen made a friend. It will make the transition so much easier.
      Piper was mad that Grandpa didn’t come over last night. Jenny told him that he was visiting friends-and she said you mean he’d rather see his friends than me. lol Then Jenny explained that it was friends that live far away and that he doesn’t get to see very often so then she was all right with it. i guess I am chopped liver as i came over anyway and she didn’t think that was so special. lol
      Greg’s friends from the Paulist Choir still get together once a year at a place not too far away from us. Greg hadn’t gone for several years as when the one guy left The Choirboys he said some pretty hurtful things to and about Greg-so he stopped going to their fall “camp.” However, this year one of his other friends said since it’s taking place so close to our house why doesn’t he just come for the dinner Friday night. So he went over yesterday and had such a good time he was like a little boy. He was happy to see some old friends. I don’t think he and the one guy will ever be friends again as we just don’t trust him but I guess they can at least tolerate each other for a couple of days. And then when they all get together in the evening and sing it’s like they are reliving the days of their youth.
      My poor sister had to put her dog to sleep yesterday. Even though it’s not my dog it still makes me weep as I know how bad she was feeling. I went to Etsy and found a couple of nice dog memorials to take to her next time we visit.

Gail

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I hope this finds everyone doing fine. I haven’t read all the posts so forgive me if I don’t reply to them. I can’t really say there’s been alot going on out here. Just keeping track of the hurricane. I have a friend near Jacksonville, which is where it was supposed to land. I heard from her after it left Fl. & she didn’t have much damage. Just alot of branches, leaves, debris from trees is all. But the temps are horrific. In the upper 90s with humidity making it feel like in the triple digits.
      Our weather is so opposite it’s like a whole other country. We had a nice holiday weekend. It was a lazy weekend. The kids went back to school Tues. Today looks & feels like fall has arrived. Overcast, chilly, & we had some showers.
      Snowball has been quite the character. I nearly had heart failure the other day. I had just taken out the screen I have in one of the windows, & closed the window. shortly after she got into one of her playful moods & ran & jumped up on the window sill. If I hadn’t removed the screen, she could very well gone out the window. I took some video of her exploring my mess from decorating. she’s enthrauled with my garlands of fall leaves, & she was snooping around & stuck her head into one of my grocery bags. I thought she might fall into it. she got into her playful mood at bed time earlier this week & expected me to chase her around the house. It’s so hilarious to watch her try to get traction on the tile floor & go nowhere fast. LOL
      She’s gotten to know what NO means. She got into some real trouble the other day & she hid behind my rocking chair for a long time. At one point I looked around the corner & here’s this one eye looking around the corner of the chair.
      Well that;s all for tonight,
      take care
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      I am sorry to hear that Jerry fell. Glad that he is doing better. I can imagine how that scared you when you heard something crack. Thank God that he did not break a bone. That is always scary.
      I agree with you on the bread that you have with soup. I like it crisp also and let it soak up the broth. If it is not crisp then it gets really soggy. Your meal sounds really good.
      It sounds like Joey is feeling a lot better. That is always good news. I hope that him and Lisa are getting along well. They seemed to have a little trouble for awhile. They both seem to come up to the house a lot more and you are all getting along really well.
      I hope that Neal sends you a lot of pictures of Colin playing soccer. That is so cute when little ones play a sport. It is a lot of fun to watch play. The parents do not seem to get as involved in the games like they do when the kids get older. It always bothered when the parents holler at the kids and try to tell the kids what to do and not listen to the coach. When they are little they are like Neal and just very excited about them playing.
      Men act like things will fall apart if they do not stay up and make sure things are going the way they think they should. They forget when they were working we kept things together without them. lol
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara!
      What a sweet story about your son and you, sharing cake baking tips. I think that is wonderful. I love it when the kids do things we love and get our tips on things we have learned over the years.

You and Jerry had a very productive and nice day. It seems we are all getting ready for Fall and Winter…..God help us all!
      It is nice and cool up here. I hope your 90 degrees does not come this way….love to share with you, but not the high temps….LOL

We had an incident here yesterday with Tillie. She had a fall int he kitchen. As luck would have it, everyone was home. I heard the awful crash, and her screaming, and Heather and Marissa were upstairs with me. Bobby was in the next room, and went running. I yelled do not move her, and called my neighbor who is the Fire Chief, and an EMT. He and his wife came running over. Glen checked her eyes, and said looked good, but warned if she got nauseous, etc, get to ER. Glen got her up, and Bobby did as glen directed. Tillie is bruised, and very sore, but ok. Heather is not. She is beside herself over the fall, and scared if we leave her alone, even while going to a quick doctor visit. So, only visits on days Heather is free to watch her.

I swear, the people in this house are going to give me a heart attack one of these days. I am God thankful nothing was broken, and she is ok. Also grateful that my son lives here, and that the rest of them are here a lot. I swear my Dad and the Angels protected Tillie yesterday. Thank God for our Angels in Heaven. I am just so afraid one of these times she will break her hip, and then we are screwed. I so desperately want her to stay home until the end of her life comes.

Just needed to vent….hope I did not vent too much. LOL thank God we are having Chinese, as nobody wants to cook today.
      Love you!
      Adele
      I hurt my shoulder a little getting down the stairs so fast, and then coming back up. So, I took an extra arthritis med, and that made the swelling go down more, and the pain stop.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      I am so glad everyone is good. Prayers do work. So happy nobody was harmed.

We are in the low 70’s or high 60’s this week. It is definitely Fall weather up here! I have an Apple Crisp planned for some time this week….LOL Let the Fall baking begin! Also making chicken soup on Monday.

Did you watch the Hallmark movies? We did. So did all our friends.
      Hope it is not too chilly down there this week…..
      Luv you!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      that is awful about that nasty friend of Greg’s. I hate mean people. My Dad used to say that if you do not have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. I think that is a good way to live. I am glad Greg terminated all contact with him. Also happy he had a good time with the rest of his old friends.
      Oh yes, we are all thrilled Aizen enjoys school, and made friends. When he comes today, I hope to hear some good stories.

Please read the post to Barbara, for the Tillie info….God help us all!

Your Piper is hysterical. I read that to Heather, and then showed her some of Jenny’s pics on Facebook so she could see what cutie Piper looks like. She said she is adorable, and Jenny is very pretty!

So sorry about your sister’s puppy. You are a good sister to send her a nice gift while she is grieving. I can’t imagine what will happen when when Luna dies, Marissa and Enzo will be devastated.

Speaking of Marissa……you can see a tiny bump, and she has been feeling the baby move. So exciting. I pray Tillie is here in January.

Hope you have a good day.
      Love Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      Your kitty is very entertaining. She must be a riot to watch. I am so glad she is so good at keeping you company, and entertained. You made such a good choice bring her home, and she is adorable too!
      Wow- our temps are real Fall ones- low 70’s for now. I hope your weather does not come over here. It is so nice to have the air off!!
      I love your pics. Especially the owl.
      I am ashamed to say I have not taken out all the decorations. I am waiting for all the birthday celebrations to be over.
      Please read the post to Barbara to get the Tillie news- she is fine, but had a fall yesterday.
      hope your weather cools down quick, but not too cold.
      Love ya , Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Really hot and humid here today. Thank God that Tillie is okay, Adele. I know that really scared all of you. So glad you had such good helpers with you and that your neighbor came too. My goodness I am always so shocked to see the bruising that a fall causes.MawMaw has tissue paper thin skin, and a bump makes a terrible bruise. Thankfully she has been doing well; some days much better than others but I understand your worries and pray that she will hold that precious itty bitty in her arms. Isn’t that a miraculous feeling when you feel those little flutters of the baby moving? The baby shower sounds like so much fun. I bet everyone will really have a wonderful time. Its planned for the end of Oct. isn’t it?
      Gail, what a shame that one of the choir boys had to say ugly things and ruin the joy that Greg was having at the yearly celebrations. Glad to know that your husband went back and had such a good time. That is so special that he was in the choir as a child and is still able to share his talents with so many. I am always just amazed at anyone who is artistic, or musically talented, because I am not; and it just seems to flow out of them and is as natural as breathing. I loved your stories of the train at Christmas time and of the children. He has certainly done a lot with his charity work and I know you have been right there helping too. Sorry about your sisters doggie. You sound just like me; I cry too when someone has a loss. That was so thoughtful to get her a remembrance. Glad your eyes are doing well. I love reading so much, and I smiled at I think Adele’s comment to someone about young people not getting to enjoy the “smell” of books. Some of my books I just love to open up and take a good sniff of.
      Glad your friends in NC are good Sue. I was happy to hear that storm had gone back out to sea. I wonder what the cruise lines do when one of those storms develop. Have you ever experienced rough seas on a cruise Sue? I really think I would be terrified; not to mention seasick. Do you have any issues with the motion of the ship? Or does it feel stationary as you walk around? sorry for all the questions lol
      Colleen, I love a hat, but I usually wear the scarf you wrap around your head and ears and cross under your chin to keep my ears and neck warm too. They are so cute and stylish; and I do wear a good wide brimmed sunbonnet. Wish I could wear a cute hat though.
      DD, your kitty sounds like quite a little playful girl. I bet you smiled when she was peeking out from behind the chair at you. Our kitty does that slide on the tile thing too. He will just take off running and his back feet can’t seem to keep up with his front feet. But most of the time he sleeps. lol Barb

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Barbara when a cruise ship runs into bad weather they go around it and if there is a hurricane that is going to hit Florida the ports are closed & they must stay out at sea until it passes. There was a man that does live reports when he is at sea & his 7 day cruise turned into 11 days this time & his cruise was made a Western cruise instead of Eastern. There were 6 ships waiting to come in when the ports opened. He & his family decided to stay onboard for the shortened cruise because of the airports as he had to fly home to Canada. So they got back today & are safely home. If the seas are very rough you can feel some movement but they stay out of storms & have stableizers that you don’t feel much movement. I have never had a problem with motion sickness. When I first got on I had to adjust to slight movement & I like gentle movement at night like putting me to sleep. I slept better on the ship than I ever did at home. I would go to bed fall right to sleep & sleep all night. If you remember on the Quacker cruise we did the same ports but in a different order then was scheduled because of bad weather not a hurricane. So they take no chances.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Just a quick note. In case you didn’t hear we had a tornado warning tonight at 7:00 pm for this county. Hallie called to see if I was alright & did I get the alert on my phone. I didn’t see it, but y the time I did the warning was cancelled. We’ve had some strange weather systems come thru the past couple days & nights. They say it’ll continue through the next few days. the storms are coming out of the Gulf of Alaska. summer’s long gone. Fall came barreling in!!! We don’t have to worry about wildfires at this point.
      I;m fine, & so is Furball.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Snowball is such a funny kitty. She must keep you constantly amused.
      I didn’t hear that you had tornado warnings.
      We were cool here over the weekend but tomorrow we will be back in the 80’s with high humidity.
      We usually swing from fall to summer weather throughout September and October.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Barbara,
      I’m glad that my eyes are doing well also. I am such a big reader-I always have my nose in some sort of book. I do like the smell and the crisp pages of a book but I like the convenience of the kindle so I use both. it’s so nice to have the kindle when you travel as you can have several books in that small package. I keep the Nook app on my phone so that if I am caught somewhere where there is an unexpected wait I can also read something on my phone.
      I’m always amazed at people who are artistic too-as I have no talent in any of those areas. Greg is not only musical but he also draws and paints and he is also quite athletic. Makes me feel like a slacker. lol He really is kind of a jack of all trades.
      You know since he has to take the blood thinner after the stint was put in he bruises really easily too. He gets bruises now and he has no idea where they came from. Plus he has to be much more careful now when he works outdoors as if he gets scratches they now bleed. Hopefully the cardiologist said he may be able to come off the blood thinner in a year.
      I hope that Jerry is progressing after his fall and is doing better. Have you gone back swimming yet after his fall.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I hope Tillie is feeling okay. Those falls are very scary. My MIL had several while she was here-and they always are very disconcerting. One time she cracked a rib and that was very painful for her. Does Tillie use a walker?
      My Mom said the same thing as your Dad “if you can’t say something nice about someone don’t say anything at all.” I heard that many times growing up. lol
      As Luna is quite young hopefully Marissa and Enzo won’t have to worry about losing her for a long time. Sometimes when the baby comes along the dog doesn’t get as much attention. Although our dogs ended up kind of being protective of our kids.
      It is exciting when the baby starts moving. The first time is always kind of startling. And later on it feels like it’s doing somersaults. lol
      Thank you and Heather for the compliments on Jenny and Piper. Here’s another Piper story. So she’s sitting in the bath tub with a bath bomb which makes those fizzy sounds. She picks the bomb up and puts it by her ear to listen to it and then sighs and says “that’s a very satisfying sound.” lol
      I wish I could remember all the funny things our kids said when they were little. If a person was smart they would write these things down right after they happen so the memories don’t fly away.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

DD,
      You must be psychic. That little white dog in the leaves looks similar to my sister’s dog who just passed.
      It looks like Snowball is directing the fall decorating! lol
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      Thank you for the kind words. Caring for a 93 year old is very stressful. Older people react differently, and have such fragile bodies. She was very shaky when she came up to the birthday party. I had the boys walking in front and in back of her, just in case. She was also very wobbly and she is very sore. I don’t think she will be back upstairs for a while. I am a little worried about how much the fall took out of her, but,grateful nothing broke.

I do have great neighbors, and I am so blessed, you have no idea. They are the best of all the people who had that house- they are the 4th owner. Everyone who has owned that house got a divorce, and sold it. We told Bunny to “sage the house” and get all the evil spirits out of there….LOL

So, today I am making chicken soup. Everyone needs a soup when they ache…LOL Not to mention my poor shoulder that started up again. I went down the stairs way too fast, and the should er has been bad since Saturday night. the last 2 days I added an additional arthritis med, in the hopes the swelling will go down fast, and get back to where it was. So discouraging that every time I go downstairs, it acts up. It is so nice when it doe snot hurt.

Speaking of hurt….how is Jerry’s back doing?? All of you are in my prayers every night. I hope he is feeling better. Arthritis just plain sucks.

the shower is in early November, to keep it away from Halloween, and Thanksgiving. We are all planning,and adjusting things as we go. I hope Tillie will be able to get to that one too! Marissa got another ultrasound pic, and you can see Itty Bitty’s little face so clear- a side view. They did not have all this cool stuff when we had our kids!

Hope your day is going well and the heat stops. Only Wed. up here will be in the 80’s and humid. I may have to put the air back on….LOL
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I am sorry to hear about Tillie’s fall. I am glad that she did not break anything. You are lucky to have so many people around when Tillie falls. Zdzoes she know why she fell? Was she dizzy or did she trip?
      I am going. to have to look and see if I can find one of those pillows. Where did you find yours? I did not see anything in Wal-Mart that looked anything like that. When I was looking the stuff to close the pools. I was not looking for that particular item though. I will have my daughter look on shopping sites and see if she can find it. Probably it can be found on Amazon.
      We are still warm here. It is going to be in the nineties all week. We are going to close the pool anyway. The water has not warmed up any.. We are getting all kinds of leaves in the pool.
      That is hard that your shoulder is hurting. It will be hard for you to do things for awhile I am glad that your arthritis meds are helping with your shoulders. I got a letter in the mail saying that one of my friends were put in a nursing home. It is so scary when we hear that. We use to go to water arobics together. This is really hard to hear.
      Well that is about all from here. I have a lot to get caught up on. Have a great day.
      Colleen
      p.s, Tillie is in my prayers

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I am not sure what type of hat I was wearing. My oldest sister and sil were wearing floppy hats. MY other sister and I bought bought hats in this little shop but they were not the floppy hats. They were just smaller hats. I do not know what they are called.
      That was funny thinking about us laying in the grass and looking at the stars. We would have to call the fire department and have them get us up. At least it would wake up the people on our road. lol They need to be woken up once in awhile.
      Piper is like Aliza. She wants to see her grandpa and not all that interested when it is just me. I guess that we are not as much fun as grandpas are. I have not heard from her for the last week I guess that she is too busy with school. It will be nice when she comes to visit. Maybe they will change soon.
      Have you been watching the quacker shows? I am really disappointed that they keep showing over and over again. They showed the one with Antonella for a few times and you can only watch it so many times. Then finally they had a different host on the 11 am show. I cannot think of the girls name. My mind is on a mini vacation. I did buy one of the big deals. I got the one with the roses on the sleeve. I bought a pair of dream jeans with a rose on the leg time ago and think that top will go with it. I wonder why they started doing that.
      That is terrible that happened to Greg. We are all a little too old to be acting like that. Most times they are jealous of the person they talk about. So I hve heard that if they are talking about you they are leaving someone else alone. I guess that is true.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great day.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I am glad that the tornado did not touch down in your area and do damage. I hate when we get those warnings and they last for so long here. Is it unusual for you to have tornado warnings where you are.
      Your kitty sounds so cute and so much fun. You will really have to watch him when you take a screen out of the window. He is such a character. I like the pictures of him with his stuck in the paper bag. He is just so funny. He will be a lot of fun for you.
      We are still having summer weather here. It is going to be in the nineties here for another week. I hope that it cools back down. I am ready for winter.
      Well that is about all from here have a great night.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      Is Aliza going to preschool this year? How time flies! Does Danyielle still stay home with the kids or is she going to work? Am I crazy? (don’t answer that-lol) or did she do something connected with fashion.
      I bought The Big Deal in the leaves and in the sunflowers because I love sunflowers. This year our garden sunflowers were pitiful. some of them only grew to about three feet and the really tall ones lost the flower part in a storm . Nothing is sadder than a big beautiful sunflower plant without the flower. I also like to watch the plants in the fall because when they have a nice big flower the birds come around to eat the seeds.
      Yes, with QVC2 you never know if you are going to get a new show or a repeat and it does get confusing. I just DVR them all and then go back and delete the ones that are repeated. It seems like a lot of the Quacker shows are on Q2 anymore. Plus so far this year they have had very little Halloween clothes. I don’t know why they are waiting because if people want to wear the clothes in October they should be able to order them now, as shipping can sometimes be very slow from the Q.
      I read on the Q that sometime in the future Jill Bauer is going to be on the 4th hour of the Today show telling us how to organize our refrigerator. Really? We need someone to tell us that? I swear, Now a days there has to be some expert to tell us how to do everything-tie our shoes, wipe our noses, wash our dishes-lol I don’t really even understand the big deal about Marie Kondo-like I want input from another person to tell me how to organize my life. Sometimes I just think people are crazy. What happened to old fashioned self reliance? Now the young people need someone to tell them how to do everything-and they won’t listen to the ones who really know best and that’s their parents! lol I’m saying all this tongue in cheek-just because I can and because I am an old person and every day i start to sound like my own parents. lol
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue
      That is very interesting news on cruises. Good to know. You never know when someone will go on one!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      I am so glad you did not get a tornado. It was a blessing that the warning passed, without you knowing what could have happened. But, I hope yu fix the warnings on your phone, to make sure yu get other important warnings.
      Hope you have a good day- cooler here too- supposed to be hot tomorrow, with humidity-yuck.
      Adele
      PS AGT tonight!!

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      i am so behind in responding to posts! I get one in every few hours. Today my neighbor stopped by, and together we are a scream! I love her visits.
      So, yes Tillie uses a walker. But, she walks with her knees very bent, and hunched over, with slippers on- refuses to wear the sneakers with the braces. So, she shuffles, and drags the feet. her muscles are permanently in the wrong position, due to walking so bent and crooked. I know that is making the fall, and her aches worst. When she first started to walk like that we had PT in here, and right back to where she was comfortable. So, it is useless to get her to walk upright. We have tried, and she is getting worst over the years.
      OMG…you have to write down the Piper stories before you forget any. She is such a hoot! love that kid! If we lived closer, I would try to do an arranged marriage with either JJ or Aizen. An older, or younger husband….LOL
      Your Greg is a very talented guy, and you should be proud. But, you have raised good children, and taken good care of him and the house over the years. THAT is a skill too. Don’t sell yourself short. I bet you did lots of volunteering too, when the kids were little!!
      AGT on tonight— woohaa!!
      Adele
      PS it is very exciting when a new Itty Bitty is on the way.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      I have missed all the Quacker shows. The shower has taken everyone’s time. You would think this was a wedding! The crafts came today for the kids’ craft table. I will post a pic. We have a cute wrist band, a turkey plate, and the pumpkin man, carrying the sign. (Not the haunted house of funny looking pumpkin, as by then Halloween will be over)
      The pillow for the middle of the pool is a common item, and you should be able to find it anywhere. Look under closing kits for pools. they may call it something else in your area. Do you have a pool company in your area? They could have one- should not cost more than 10.00 for a pool your size. they are usually blue (don’t ask me why) and they have reinforced circles on the 4 ends, so you can tie a rope to them, and make them stay in the middle of the pool.
      that is why we closed the pool- this time of years you get all kinds of debris in the pool form rain, and wind, and the leaves falling. Plus, the water stays cool because of the cooler nights. Even though the weather is nice, it just does not workout this time of year.
      I am very upset about my shoulder. It was so good to be pain free. i am disgusted. On the other hand, I am glad Tillie did not break anything!!
      Tillie is very sore, and very shaky. I am hoping that will get better. We have to bring her dinner downstaors for now. I hope that changes too.
      AGT tonight!!!
      Adele
      PS have a good night!!

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG Gailster and Colleen!
      i was laughing like crazy when I rad the post about needing someone to tell us how to organize a fridge….LOL LOL
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      Aliza is going to preschool. She really loves going. I talked to her tonight and she has one friend she thinks. She wasn’t sure if she did or not. I guess at her age she is not sure what a friend is. She does love her teacher though. Danyielle did work in fashion but she got out of it when she started having kids. She does work part time on the days that Alizaa is in school but it is not in fashion.
      Our flowers are not doing that good either. I think that we had too much rain. That really did a lot of damage this year. I think that our garden is just about done also. We did end up getting more tomatoes then we thought we would.
      I wish that Quacker would show more clothes on their shows then they do. You are right about Halloween tops. They do not have many things this year. They have been talking about the Halloween show is coming up. I sure hope that they have more tops by then or there is no reason to have the show. I do not know what is going on with Q2. I wonder if they have too many channels now. Maybe it will get better. I did end up getting the tsv in the leaves also. I like the sunflowers but I do not look in green. So passed on that one.
      That is really hard to believe that we need people to tell us how to arrange our fridge. Our cabinets and the whole works. They must think that we are not too bright. That is really funny.
      Well that is about all from her. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      The crafts that you have for the kids are really cute. They will enjoy doing those and it will give the kids something to do. It is good to have something to keep them busy.
      I will have to look around for that pillow. They closed the only pool store that we had. I will have to go to St. Louis and see if I can find it up there. The only store we have here are Wal-Mart. They do not have all the things they have in the city.
      We are going to close the pool this week-end. No one is getting in it and so we might as well close it. I cannot believe that it has as many leaves in it as it has. There is only one tree close to the pool and it does not have a lot of leaves on it. Well I guess it has more then I thought.
      I cannot believe that you are fixing your grands with Piper. You know they may have different ideas when they get older. I just really though that was really funny. You are making plans for them at an awfully young age. lol
      Poor Tillie. She will probably be sore for awhile. That is terrible the way she walks. That would cause a lot of pain right there. I will keep praying for her. It is a shame that you cannot get her to wear those tennis shoes with the braces. She would feel a lot better and maybe not bend over as much.
      Hopefully you will get the pain under control again. Have you given up on having the surgery on your stomach? I have not heard you say too much about it. I hope they get that all taken care of soon.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen!
      We thought it would keep the little ones occupied, and I hope we are right. Other people who have done similar things, said ti was a good idea.
      Thank you for the prayers for Tillie. She needs all she can get.
      Unfortunately, I need more praters too. While doing the potatoes for the Shepard’s Pie, I really h Mind you, it was just underwear and socks, and not a lot of them! I have no idea why, but the pain was so bad, I could hardly breathe. So, I took one more arthritis pill, in the hopes the swelling would start to come down, and went to bed. After a while, the pain stopped, and I got to sleep. It is not good today. Even typing here is painful, so i am going to stop soon.
      i thought I was funny too, trying to set up Piper with one of the boys….LOL
      I have not seen the weight doctor yet. She cancelled the apt. I had, and then I had to re-schedule the next one.
      Hope your day s good.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

pic of shepards pie….
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I’m glad Aliza is liking school. She will make friends fast. Our two younger grands were lucky as they both had cousins in their class-so they knew someone right off the bat. Plus they knew other kids who were the children of Jenny’s friends. There is such a large group of young people who stayed here after college that there are a group of parents who have known each other forever and their kids play together.
      I think Q2 has always been a lot of repeats from the main station with a few new shows thrown in. it’s just hard to tell if you are recording which are the new and which are not. They have already dropped the separate beauty channel. that didn’t last long.
      You know I don’t wear much green as I don’t think it looks good on me but I can get away with olive for some reason. As a general rule I normally gravitate toward blue and pink and red and purple. I wonder what that says about me. lol
      Do you have a Great Escape store in your area? I looked it up and they have those pool pillows.
      Here’s a picture. You can always just order them online. I would bet Amazon would have them too.
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I hope you are okay. I was reading your post to Colleen and you said something about making shepherds pie and then it didn’t make sense after that-something about sox and underwear. So I was confused.
      I’m wondering if when you see the doctor about the surgery if maybe another alternative would be getting sent to a dietician to see about losing that 30 pounds to get the shoulder surgery. I worry about a person having two surgeries-but maybe that’s just me.
      That’s nice that your neighbor popped in. I miss the old days when that used to happen. Now all my old friends have moved away-and it’s not easy to find new ones at our age.
      You are probably right. I do sell myself short-I guess. I did do a lot of volunteering when the kids were growing up-especially because I was a stay at home Mom.
      I imagine the sneakers with the braces are not comfortable for Tillie and maybe are even hard for her to put on. I know I sure don’t like that brace that i have and rarely wear it anymore-but at least that ankle with the torn tendons doesn’t hurt as much either. He said that may happen so I am really glad that I chose not to get the surgery to fuse my ankle.
      Your shower planning does sound like a major event. lol I’m sure it will be lovely and Marissa will get lots of cool things. How is Enzo’s Dad doing with working on their little apartment. They are very lucky having everyone helping them out like that.
      Those crafts are super cute! Are they all glue free? I used to get their catalog but it seems I stopped getting it.
      I love shepherds pie! Meat, potatoes and veggies all in one pan!
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I totally agree with Gail. I think you should see a dietician & follow what they tell you until you lose the weight. I don’t think weight loss surgery is what you think it is. You still need to follow a diet & if you don’t or overeat you will gain what you lost. My best friend & some others I know had it done & did really well for a while then gained it all back. My friend said I guess the doctor should have operated on my head instead. This is after all the classes they had take before & phycologists they had to see. I know if I was in a lot of pain I would do what it took to lose the weight because no matter how you lose it when you start to eat normal you will gain it back. So 30 lbs is not so much not like 100lbs. so I would lose it have the surgery then if you put it back on at least the pain is gone. Taking pills & shots all the time is not good. Just saying what I would do. However that said I do not weigh as much as you & am under the limit. Still overweight.
      I could not figure out the socks & underwear either. Maybe proofreading would help. Does anyone do that anymore?
      I love shepherds pie too & make it a lot when the weathers cold.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

I normally proofread what I write as it is just too easy to hit the wrong keys. I still miss my capital letters a lot though-I guess I don’t always press the shift key hard enough. Let’s all hear it for shepherd’s pie! Hooray!

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail I did not mean any one person as I see it everywhere. Even if you pick up a newspaper. That’s why I wondered if it was a thing anymore. I try to catch mine but once in a while I miss something. Its also easy to fix spelling on here as it lets you know when you spell something wrong with a red line.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I’m back. I still haven’t read all the posts. I’m way behind on everything. I haven’t been sick or anything. we’ve had alot of rain, thunder, lightning, heavy downpours, localized flooding in low lying areas, streets, highways. Not around here tho. It’s due to clogged drains around town, & the leaves haven’t even begun to fall yet. They’re barely turning as it is.
      I don’t know how it is back there, but fall came in like gang busters out here. the nights are getting chillier, & the mornings are cold. I’ve held off turning on the heat just yet, but it’s getting there. I took out the AC today, & moved some of the furniture around. I’m still not finished. snickers isn’t sure what’s going on. Cats don’t like change.
      For those who love Halloween, Dollar Tree has alot of decor. Hallie & I went to a different store & it was full of things for Halloween. I found several new items to set around. Pumpkins, gourds, (sp), ears of corn, etc. There are several stores around the area, which makes it nice.
      The strangest thing happened earlier this evening. I was sitting here, when I saw fireworks just outside my window. It didn’t last long, just a few seconds. I’m not sure where they came from. it appeared they came from above, but that’s the roof & I didn’t hear anyone up there. there were no loud bangs or anything.
      Well, today was a day of remeberance. I dressed in red, white & blue. I was sleeping when it happened. The time difference. I didn’t learn of it till way later in the morning. I think we all walked around in a fog for days. I had gone to NYC in 2000 & got pics of the towers while there. I had taken one of those tour buses that went to them, but I didn’t get off to go up. But I did get a great pic as we drove past them, actually between them & I got the pic looking up at them. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day. When I took the ferry out to Statue of Liberty I turned & got a pic of the skyline. I’ve been to NYC 3 seperate times, except not during the Christmas season.
      Did you see the new fall tops from QF? The ones with the embroidery on the sleeves. I’d love to have the lt. navy with roses. they’re all beautiful tho.
      Well, I guess that’s all for tonight.
      take care.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      Sometimes I even come across mistakes in books. More often in eBooks than in print books. I think there is still proofreading but maybe people are just no longer as careful. I know when I worked in accounting I always double checked my work because I knew that if there was mistakes in my work it would mess someone else up farther down the line-but not everyone else did-and I corrected lots of mistakes that would not have happened if people would have just double checked their work. I think for some people there is just no pride in a job done right-it’s just do it to get it done-even if it’s shoddy work.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Yesterday was a solemn day. It’s hard to believe it was 18 years ago. There is a great book called The Day The world Came To Town by Jim De Fede. It’s about the planes and people that were sent to Newfoundland after they were diverted from landing in The U.S. after 9/11. It’s one of my favorite books and I recommend it to anyone who will listen. They even made a musical about it called Come From Away. I remember I was up that morning and saw the news. I was up early as I was going to take my BIL to the airport that morning as he had been here on a visit. He was in the shower when I saw the news and I told him to hurry and get out. He was in the CIA and worked at the Pentagon at the time. He lived outside of DC. Naturally there was no flying home for him but he needed to get back. Of course there were also no available car rentals by the point we figured out that he needed it so we let him use one of our cars to get back home and back to work.
      You know I have never been to New York. I have not been out east at all. I’ve been north, midwest, south and southwest and California years ago but never the east coast or the pacific northwest. Some day i would like to do a fall drive in the east-or one of those cruises that go up the east coast.
      I like that butterfly shirt.
      We do have a dollar store in town but for some reason I never go there as it is sort of off the beaten path. I will have to check it out and see what they have.
      Gail

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hello everyone. Thanks so much Sue for explaining how a cruise ship feels out at sea. That has always been one of my major concerns since I have balance problems and the only time I went deep sea fishing I was so nauseated from the rocking of the boat. We have gone on pontoon boats in the lake and I do okay on that. It sounds like you have had wonderful times. I think you may be more adventurous than me. I am such a “scaredy cat”. I think I have missed some really great times, but I am such a homebody. Really interesting how the ships are rerouted. I haven’t ever been further east than Kentucky, Gail. We have been to a lot of the same areas though. I would love to go to NYC during the holiday season. It just looks so beautiful. Have you ever been to Branson Mo. during the Christmas season Colleen? I saw pictures of there and it was so beautiful too. Do you live close enough to visit there? I remember when Jeanne did a visit there one year, and lots of Quackers went. Did you go to that one Sue?
      Tuesday was my 71st birthday. I think I am the “senior” one on our site. Had such a good day. All the boys called, and Colin Facetimed me and played a game with me and cars. Neal coaxed him a little and he said the whole Happy Birthday MiMi and kissed the screen. You all know that made my day. Our oldest son Buddy was in Lakeland Fla. with his job. He flys so much they send him on their jet. He said he forgets sometime what city he is in until he gets up and really wakes up. I was happy to hear that he will be going to Phoenix soon with his team to play in the Nationals Pool Tournament. So they won for NV. I think. I know that will be relaxing for him.
      DD I love the pictures so much. You just make my day. The little kitties and owl are so cute. I am just so soft hearted with any animals, babies, nature, well lots of things ha ha. I have had to not watch some shows here lately since I am trying so hard to be ready to Christmas I really plan to keep things small and personal this year; but who knows. I did order from Bradford Exchange a leather braided mans bracelet with the Air Force emblem on it for our oldest son. I just got that paid off. I think Joey needs a nursing book to help him so I am checking in to that , and still thinking of Neal. For each DIL I am open for ideas, please ladies. I usually buy each one the exact same pair of pajamas just in their size of course. But I am so open for any suggestions. When the baby called me Sarah was sitting right there on the couch, never spoke to me until I said after about 5 mins. “hi Sarah, how are you?” then she said “just fine, oh yeah, happy birthday” That is why I feel sort of hypocritical when I send her a gift. But….I do believe that two wrongs don’t make a right; so I keep trying.
      Hope Tillie is doing okay Adele. MawMaw shuffles too. She will be 94 in Dec. We walked around out in the garden the other day during our visit. She got tired so we cut it short. You all take care. Hope all is well in your world. Barbara

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      I am writing in the middle of the night because our basement flooded again. I was awake and just pacing anyway because of the bad storms and I came downstairs and thought I would check the basement and sure enough water was pouring in through the widow well. This is the third time in 20 plus years now that we have flooded down there. It’s probably our own fault this time as we have been saying for the last couple of years that we need to get someone in and redo the land around the house that was pitched when it was originally built to keep the water away-but the land has changed over time with erosion and such-We have a family room music room bedroom bathroom and shop down there so I don’t know yet what the damages will be. It’s heartbreaking when this happens.
      Happy Belated Birthday! I hope that you had a nice one. I will be turning 71 next month so you don’t have much of a head start over me.
      I’ve been to Branson twice in October-both times when we were there they had started putting up the lights but they don’t actually light them until November I think. We were actually in Branson when Jeanne took the trip there. I met some women who were with the group when I was out shopping one day.
      Your son must be a good pool player if they won a tournament. How nice that he can fly by private jet. I have gotten to the point where I detest commercial air travel and will only do it if I have to. I think it probably doesn’t bother the younger people as much as they don’t remember the time when flying was actually kind of a special thing, and the planes weren’t packed and you weren’t treated like cattle. Now it’s just a means to an end-years ago getting there was fun too.
      So you are a Mimi and I am a Gigi-what’s everyone else called by their grands?
      The only thing I can think of for a gift off the top of my head is maybe a gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure if the girls liking doing any of that. Not knowing them and what their hobbies or interests are makes it difficult but I will keep it in mind and see if I can think of more suggestions. I know Lisa likes animals-maybe you could make a donation to an animal cause in her name-or sometimes I get one of these booklets where you can buy a chicken or goat or whatever for someone in Africa to help sustain them. Or I have had people adopt a humpback whale and a manatee in my name. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
      You know Barbara, it must be so hard for Neal when he hears Sarah treat you like she does. I wish she could understand that she is not doing herself any favors acting like that and all it does is hurt her husband. Here is another thing I’m thinking-how would she feel if Colin grows up and marries and his wife treats her the way she is treating you.
      Anyway, I’m going to try and get some rest. Right now it’s four in the morning and Greg is down there trying to deal with the mess in the basement. Poor guy. I’m glad he doesn’t have to go to work tomorrow. Fortunately even though the music room is downstairs his guitars are all up high.
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail so sorry about your basement. I remember the mess you had before. You sound like me I cannot sleep when it is storming. I am up checking everything. It is rainy here today & very dark not to get out of the 60’s. I am waiting for the mailwoman. I had ordered a small electric skillet from HSN & it won’t heat at all. So back it goes. I scheduled a pick up with USPS. I put a note in it but am going to call for them to refund my return postage as the product is defective.
      I have never been to Branson. It sounds like a lot going on there. The Quackers had fun there. It seems since Jeanne is gone so are the trips. But I think my traveling days are over. There are so many places I still wanted to see. But could not afford it now anyway.
      Barbara would your DIL’s like flameless candles? I think they are so pretty & Colin would not get burned as there is no flame. But they do look like the real thing. Happy Birthday Barbara a little late.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      OMG I had to sign in again.
      Well, this is what I was trying to say. After hurting the shoulder with Tillie, the peeling of the potatoes was bad- only 8 small ones- red potatoes. Then before bed, Gary had put the towels back for me and all that needed to be done was fold the underwear and socks. The folding made the pain go nuts. I just should have stopped, but I finished it. The pain was so bad, I was shivering, and trying to breathe- you know, when you are in pain and you concentrate on the breathing. So, I took an extra indomethacine, and eventually fell asleep.
      It was so bad the next day, I called the doctor, and they ordered a prednisone pack. today is day 2, and the pain is bearable- almost gone. The arm is so swollen, Gary said I have 3 lines of swelling from my shoulder to the elbow- looks like a chubby baby’s legs with all the folds. i could not type, as it hurt. still a little unconfortable. So, I am answering these in order, and if I have to stop, I will finish later.
      the shower is becoming a wedding. Everyone is pitching in on things, and costs, so that is good. I hope it goes off well. Hey, as long as you feed people good food, they are happy. Most will be catered. We will get extra cold cut platters, and salad, from BJ’s, and get the cake and rolls there too. Pina and Marissa want to make the sausages, peppers and onions dish. I will make some cookies, of course! I got the trees for the tables, but Steph is in charge of all decorations. (I also got the plastic tablecloths and silver paper dishes, per approved color from Steph) She asked for a tree to try stuff out….LOL
      God help us all!
      Hope your day is going well….
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      LOL God only knows how the spelling came out, as I was in a lot of pain. I usually look up to see errors, and correct, so forgive the disaster of a few days ago….LOL
      I don’t have shots in the shoulder anymore, because they did not help. (I get them once a year in my left knee to prevent that knee from needing surgery- the 3 gel shots, each a week apart) Some people had said the shoulder rotator cuff sometimes heals itself within a year. Honestly, I felt mine did that, because after the round of prednisone I had in the Spring for the gout attack, most of the pain disappeared, and I could move the arm almost as much as my right arm. I still had to be very careful on lifting anything. But, when I raced down the steps, and cooked, and folded laundry, the arm went nuts. In retrospect, had I stopped cooking for a few days, and done nothing with the arm, maybe it would not have happened. All water under the bridge now.
      I do not know what it is with me, but I just cannot seem to lose any weight. I go up and down all the time, never staying down. I have been to nutritionists, and know what to eat for me to lose weight. It is the Atkins diet. If I eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs, and fats, I lose. As soon as I touch a fruit, or carb, it goes back up. In the past, I did that, and it cost me a fortune, as I ruined my gums from no vitamin c, (vitamins not taken as they would ruin the affect of the diet) and I had to have 4 crowns. i got one hell of a lecture from my dentist, and even had to have the deep scaling of the gums. Atkins is the only thing that ever worked for me. I have stayed pretty steady on weigh, accept when my back gave out- I gained 70 pounds, from lack of mobility, and that is the weight that does not want to leave me.
      I really do not care about the surgery anymore. I am resigned to live with this shoulder, as it does get better. I just have some days that are difficult, or, when something happens like Tillie falling, I need not to panic and move too fast, or else I am no good to anyone. I am researching the surgery more to shut Gary up. as he thinks surgery is a cure all for everything. Once he sees the process, he will realize it is not a good idea. Plus, with my food allergies, and stomach sensitivities, I will bet I am not a candidate at all. Hubby does not get it. I am sure the doctor will get it, as I know there is quite an interview process.
      Also, celebrex makes people gain weight, and since I have been off it and on the indomethacine, I swear I have been losing a little, bit by bit. I lost 10 lbs again- the same 10 that I had been eventually gaining back. I want to see if the weight continues to slowly go. Who knows, that may have been more of an issue than I realized. We will see.
      Thank you for your support, as I know we all try to help each other as much as we can. I am a bit of a complicated arthritic disaster….LOL Even though the shoulder is bad, the back is worst. I cannot even stand for more than a minute without being in excruciating pain. But, the good thing is, as soon as I sit back down, the pain subsides. So, I do a lot of my cooking from a seated position. I gather all my things, and prep sitting. I even sit at the stove to do the stirring in my rolling chair….LOL It is pretty funny to watch me do things. Where there is a will, there is a way, and I have to keep my sense of humor!!
      I hope I did not bore you too much with all my explanations.
      Now to the good stuff….the weather is perfect up here! Hope your is too. No humidity, and in the high 60’s. How is the new car???? Hope you are still loving it!!
      Love you!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

hey Gail and Sue
      the shepard’s pie was a huge hit. Heather had to bring some to Marissa while she was working….LOL You can’t deny prego anything, or it gets ugly with a pregnant woman and her food….LOL
      We have a small amount left to split between us, with the left over chicken soup. I love one pot dishes!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey sue
      Have you noticed that sometimes the spell correct does not recognize what you were trying to say?
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      It certainly is a dark day to remember. I knew one person on one of the planes. he and his wife were form Gloucester, and he was the nicest little old man. I knew him from the Inter-agency committee I went to monthly. I saw him at the committee, but, like me, he could have lived in another North Shore Town. I can still see his face, but I do not remember his name.
      I am always devastated by knowing those planes left from Boston. We dropped the ball, and it was awful. I hoe there is never another incident lie that, anywhere. I remember being glued to the news for days, hoping and praying they would find a pocket of air, with some people in ti alive. Every day was another day of disappointment and horror, for all those who were waiting for some news.
      I wonder why we have not declared that a National Day of mourning, and a holiday to commemorate all those lost souls.
      Sorry your weather has been so awful. We are having a nice few days- no humidity, perfect Fall days. I was able to get 2 boxes of decorations out today. Have not placed things out yet. I am not sure if I will get a lot more out this year. I will have a tall person get out my box of witches- can’t leave them out!!
      Hope your decorations are all done!
      Love you
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gail and DD
      I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit. I thought it was an inexperienced pilot, and even said to Gary…why do they let anyone fly a dam plane?? When the second one hit, I was on my way to Gloucester to see a foster parent. Gary called and told me what happened. then my supervisor called and said they were sending everyone home as a precaution, for security, as everyone was trying to figure out what was going on, and if the attacks would continue.
      We were all worried about Heather, as she and her girlfriend had taken the kids to the North end,and were stuck in dead stopped traffic on the bridge, and the third plane had not been located. I was scared to death it was headed for that bridge, as it would have paralyzed Boston. I remember screaming at Heather and Diana to get the f off that bridge the first chance they had. I am sure I didn’t help their anxiety. It was an awful day. Just an awful, horrible sick day. Too many people went to Heaven that day, and a few sob’s went to Hell, where they belong.
      Very sad, every single year. My heart goes out to the surviving relatives, all of whom will never be the same. Not to mention all the First Responders, who are still getting sick.
      Love Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara!
      So glad all your boys are doing well. It is very nice to hear. I know we have Angels in the sky, all due to your good parenting!! Every time a Med Flight goes over our house, I tell Gary….Barbara’s boys do that!
      I am not too far behind you. I turn 70 in January.
      I would have loved to see you face when your DIL said Happy Birthday. I don’t know about you, but, my face shows everything. Sometimes I do not even have to speak, just look. Heather tells me that look does not scare her anymore, but, she still looks scared when she says that….LOL Bobby will tell the grands….see that look, it meant when we got home all hell was going to break loose, as Nana NEVER does any public displays. LOl
      Tillie is much better. She wanted to come up yesterday afternoon because she wanted me to order some things on line for her. I told her to please wait until Bobby got home, as I was too scared…LOL Well, the boys all got home way too late last night, so she is coming up tonight. Tillie is too funny. She scares me, and the entire family, and our neighbors, half to death, causes me to panic and hurt the dam arm, and then is ready to shop 4 days later. God help us all!
      I am so glad you get to face time your Itty Bitty. Isn’t technology a great thing when it is good for us????
      hope you are having a good day- please read my other posts for all the wacky news of the day….LOL
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gail and Barbara
      OMG. I forgot to say Happy Birthday,. even though I commented on ti….LOL
      Also forgot to say congrats on the tournament your son’s team won. Seriously? What is wrong with me today???
      Gail, I am so sorry about your basement. that is awful. By now you must have had the insurance adjuster down there- what did they say? there is nothing worst than water coming int a house. It does so much damage. I will add a prayer for yours not to be so bad, and all fixable.
      I don’t like to travel at all. I am comfy in my bed and bathroom, and don;t even want to think of showering without all my cool handled tools, chair, etc. i have become a home body too.
      So, toady I have on my Quacker black Halloween cardigan….yahoo! Hoping the Halloween shows have some cool stuff. I am still waiting for the set of Boofetti microfiber cloths. Dying to use them. The Q has been taking a long time to ship stuff out lately.
      Please read the other posts for all the up-dates…..
      Love ya
      Adele

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I hope this finds everyone doing fine. We set records with our weather today. It rained & poured most of the night & today. I can safely say our wildfire season is over. Fall came in with a roar, even tho it isn’t officially fall yet. I don’t think we got out of the 60s & won’t for the first half of the week.

Have any of you heard any thing about Judith Ripka? David said something, briefly, then saw an ad for a a show on her later this week.
      Oh I smell dinner!!
      I’ll get back later.
      dd

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Well I’m glad that your danger of wildfires is gone.
      I have not heard anything about Judith Ripka-not sure what you were referring to.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I still like to travel, although not by plane anymore. Maybe when Greg retires we will take some more road trips where we can just meander and not have to worry about making time. I would have loved to see places outside of this country but I can no longer do all the walking it would take to sight see-so I will have to travel to different countries through books.
      I’m not sure what boofetti microfiber cloths that you mean. Did you mean the towel sets. I got mine a while ago.
      Yesterday I ordered a micro wave pasta cooker-that you can cook and drain in. It seemed like a good idea if it works-then I don’t have to bother boiling water on the stove top.Hopefully there will be some instructions for timing. There was also a one day only of lock and lock and one set was a fall set with pumpkins and I didn’t have anything like that so I scooped that up. I already had a summer, americana and winter set. I hope they continue to offer patterns. I hear the QVC UK offers lots of lock and lock with patterns-so maybe they will offer more here. those are my favorite sets.
      What kind of trees did you buy to put on the tables at the shower?
      Well, Greg has the basement dried up now we are waiting to see if there will be problems with the flooring. Hopefully it’s tightly put together enough so that water didn’t get under it. Keep your fingers crossed. We did lose a printer and some amplifiers which were sitting right under the window where the water was pouring in. Greg thinks the water wasn’t draining properly because of some new raised flower beds that he put in so he is digging that up and putting a drain pipe in there and hopefully that will solve the issue. It was a lot of rain though as there were all kinds of places around here that were flooded. Jenny said her road was flooded.
      The concert Saturday was good and boy did this guy ever look like John Denver. It was kind of uncanny. It’s an interesting place. They have free water bottles and cookies before the concerts and free dove bars on the way out.
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I heard this morning that Christie Brinkley is out of DWTS before it starts. She broke her arm during rehearsals. Her daughter will be taking her place. So they are off to a rough start. But I am glad there will be something on to watch. I hope they changed the voting but I like to watch the dancing.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Oh that’s too bad. I was looking forward to seeing Christie. Thanks for the update. Nice of her daughter to jump in to take her place.

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

It is so hot here today that it seems like the middle of summer. Our weather has really been strange this year. There are signs of Fall and then the heat returns. So glad your basement flooding seems to be a relatively easy fix; considering how much damage it could have caused. And when it is unexpected you have to deal with that unplanned cost. In our case; that is usually after we just sunk a small fortune on some other project. lol
      Jerry and I found out around 11 this morning that our local pharmacist; who we have known for over 40 years had passed away Friday at the age of 94 and his service was this afternoon. I remember so many times years ago when we barely had two nickles to our name; our children were little and sick, he would fix their medicine, and he would tell us; just pay me a little each week and it will be fine. He stayed the same all these years; and was a saint here on earth. So Jerry and I went to the cemetery and paid our respects as the posession passed. I so hope what we did was appropriate. We loved him not just because he was always so kind over medicines but because he was a wonderful man. Heaven has another angel to join his wife.
      Hope I didn’t make you all sad. Life is so beautiful and there is so much to see and do. I am like you all in that I would love to go places but know that I can’t go hardly any distance walking. It really upset me when I first began to notice it but now I know this is just how it is and I try to make adjustments as we go along. It’s like Jerry said one day when he and I were struggling to get outselves out of a booth; ” I bet everyone in here is saying I hope I don’t catch what those two have” I had to laugh. I think sometimes if we don’t laugh at our day we will go crazy. I love your idea of driving places Gail; but my Jerry drives too fast for me. I think all those years of taking care of people from bad car accidents left me wanting to slow down. Plus; I like to drive off the beaten path; and he prefers the interstate or the quickest way of getting to our destination; I think because of his back hurting him. SO…..that is our story. One speedo, and I don’t mean the other kind, and one slow poke. ha ha
      Take care everyone. Hope you all are having a great day. By the way, Sue, I did pick up a pretty Flameless candle for me; so that is a great idea too. I got some little flameless tea lights too; and put three inside a ceramic pumpkin on our front porch. He smiles and the glow is beautiful. Also got out my Quacker sweater vest with big smiley pumpkins all over it. I have had this for years, and everyone loves it. Barb

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      We usually travel on the interstates too as when we take a trip we are usually trying to make time. However, I’m hoping in the future when we don’t have to be back on a certain date to take some meandering road trips where we go where the wind blows us. We used to take trips like that (unintentionally) before we had GPS. lol I used to call starting out on a trip “going on an adventure” as we would inevitably get lost. lol Greg has a poor sense of direction and even though I have a good memory for landscapes my map reading skills are lacking. lol That’s probably one of the reasons that I haven’t gotten another dog as I am hoping for some future travel. However, I still look at the online site of our local dog shelter on a weekly basis.
      Our neighbors across the street just brought home a new puppy and I honestly don’t know how they keep up as they are a little older than us. Jenny’s dog is a year and he has so much energy that he is exhausting. lol I’ve always observed that it’s around three that they start to mellow out.
      I have lots of flameless candles and and I love them. I have some for each season. I used to burn a lot of real candles but as we got older and more forgetful I switched to flameless as I then put them on a timer and don’t have to worry about remembering to blow them out. Much safer.
      I think it was nice that you went to pay tribute to the pharmacist. He sounds like a lovely man. those little mom and pop drug stores are long gone. I remember growing up our drug store also had a little soda fountain where you could get cokes or phosphates-kind of like the one in It’s A Wonderful Life.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      So glad the fires are gone and over for this year. We heard you were getting blasted with rain a few days ago.
      We are having great Fall weather. In the high 60’s and your nose gets cold with the windows open at night- perfect Adele sleeping weather….LOL They also said it will be back near 90 over the weekend- I hope not!
      Did you see DWTS last night? It seems the new changes rush through some parts- like the practice sessions. I am ok with that, I guess. What do you think?
      Hope all is well over there!!
      Attaching pics of some decorations…LOl
      Adele

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      The Boo Fetti cloths are microfiber and they come in a set of 4- pumpkin, a “thanks” one, boo fetti, and one other. I love the pattern in them!
      I did see the lock n lock pattern ones- they are adorable. A while back ago, i got the boo Fetti glass bowls from temptations. love those too.
      I hope Greg got the flower beds dug up, without hurting himself. Houses are a constant work in progress. Soils shift, rain moves things, and then comes in to destroy the house. Rain does so much damage. Way more than snow.
      The trees are like Charlie Brown trees- white, with little lights on the ends- battery operated. The theme is “winter”. Steph is handling the rest of the decorations. I didn’t want any decorations on them but Steph is trying to find something small. We shall see.
      Glad you two had such a god time at the concert. You really know how to have fun. I get a kick out of all the places you go for concerts, events, etc. Go Gail and Greg!
      Hope your day is going well…….did you like DWTS??
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      I thought her daughter did a good job. She looks just like her Mom. It was nice to see her there. She really broke her arm bad. I was surprised she had to have surgery with it too. It’s not easy doing all that physical stuff at her age.
      Speaking of that, did you see Mary, who started the Supreme’s? OMG- she looks wonderful! I hope she does not hurt herself. I got a bog kick out of Sean Spicer. That outfit was hysterical!
      How is your weather? Ours has been great up here. they predict near 90 for the weekend up here- how about you???
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Everybody,
      I am really out of touch with everybody. I have a lot of catching up to do. Gail I am sorry to hear your basement flooding. Is as bad as the last time? I hope that it did not do as much damage. I am with you Gail. I love to travel and stop in a lot of the little shops along the way. You can find all kinds of cute things. We usually stop a few times so we can get out and stretch our legs. I do not have many flameless candles but I do burn the wax. I get the little squares at Wal- Mart. They have a lot of choices and good scents.
      I could not watch all the things on tv about 9/11. It is still to fresh on my mind. I can remember what I was doing what my daughters were doing and a friend of mine. It was such a sad day. Danyielle lived inTexas so I worried a lot about her she was so far away from home. She was married though so she had him there.
      Adele, I really love all of your decorations. They are really cute. You have a lot of witches and they are so cute. I need to start to get my decorations out and put them up.It is getting late in the month before long it will be October. Our cable is out and so we cannot watch tv. So I missed dwts last night. I wanted to hear what the new rules are for voting. Are they that much different then they were last year? Is the show as good as it use to be? I am worried since they do not have all the pro dancers back. I liked the ones that they did not ask back. I will not know what I think about the new ones until after Saturday. That is when the guy is supposed to be here. I like the time they gave us any where from 12 noon to 5 pm. That means that we will have to stay home all day. I do not like when they give you a time like that. This stupid thing has been out since last Thursday. I keep saying cable but it is Dish.
      Barbara, I bet your heart just melted when Colin kissed the phone and told you Happy Birthday! Kids have a way of doing that. I am so glad that Neal called you so he could do that. You have a good son. I do not remember if I wished you Happy Birthday or not so I am doing it now. I hope that you did something special that day. We are all getting older. How is your weather there? Is it still really hot? I hope that it cools down.
      DD, I really like all the pictures that you post. They are always so cute. Your weather has been strange like it has been here. I am waiting for winter to get here. I am tired of hot weather. How is Snowball doing? He is just so cute. He does a lot of funny things. I am so happy for you and that you found him
      Well that is about all from here. I hope you have a great night.
      Colleen
      p.s. We all need to say a prayer for Christine. She is having some health problems. Thanks.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I will be praying for Christine. She has had a hard time of it.
      I burn those wax melts too for the fragrance but at least the burner is a plug in and not a candle that I have to worry about. They give off a lot of fragrance.
      They haven’t really talked about the new voting rules yet. I think they will cover them this Monday. It seems like the judges are trying to be stricter on their scores this year. Most of the pro dancers are back except Sharna and Artym. When you think back to the first years most of the pros that were on back then are no longer on-except maybe Cheryl. I guess some are not asked back and some want to move on to other things.
      My sister just sent me a note that her dance instructor just won a national tournament. She has been doing ballroom dance since way before DWTS came on the air and made it popular.
      It seems like most service people give you either a morning or afternoon time frame of several hours. I guess maybe their schedules are not set up until the day they go out. I must admit the last time we had a dish guy out he was really good and very knowledgeable. I hope it is an easy fix. When our DVR went out last October we upgraded to having the hopper and I just love it!
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I wonder if you’re talking about those microfiber dish cloths-they came in a fall or a holiday selection. If so I sent a set to both Jenny and Brent-although he doesn’t get much fall where he is.
      I had one of those glass bowl sets with the fall design from Temptations last year-this year I got the boofetti and a summer one with polka dots. Nice bowls with lids. However, I am a lock and lock junkie. lol I need to go to meetings for it. lol
      The white Charley brown trees sound adorable. i think they would be pretty without anything on them-just the lights-or maybe just one lonely ornament like the Charley Brown tree. lol
      DWTS was good. I couldn’t really tell that it was a new set. Mary Wilson was awesome and inspiring to me as an older woman myself.
      Tonight we find out who won AGT. I must say I don’t have a favorite this year although I wouldn’t mind if that dance group from India won. It’s the first time I’ve seen two choirs in the final. Very unusual. My two favorites are out so I have no skin in the game so to speak.
      Yes, I try to keep Greg and I busy going to concerts and plays. He is such a homebody that if I didn’t schedule things he would never leave home except to go to Canada fishing. lol Fortunately I have a husband who will go to concerts and plays. probably because he has such a strong musical background. heck his Mom was always putting him in different church plays and concerts from when he was little. I have a feeling he was probably in some minstrel shows too back in the day.-it’s a good thing he never ran for political office as I’m sure pictures would emerge-even though he would have been only five or six and wouldn’t have known better. He says he remembers singing “Mammy” for something. I know we have pictures of his older brother dressed in some kind of velvet Robin Hood outfit-we get a lot of chuckles out of that one. Who knows what pictures there are of Greg among some boxes in the basement from his Mom’s house. Some day we will have to go through them.
      Gail

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Adele, your Halloween decorations look just adorable. The only thing I’ve done so far is put the ceramic pumpkin with the tea light set to come on each dusk for 6 hours. It’s on the front porch and since we live so far off the road we are the only ones who sees it except Joey and Lisa. I am really hoping that we will take a short trip soon to see a Harvest Festival over in Arkansas. But I feel just yucky today; absolutely no energy. I woke up at 3 this morning had to go potty; then Jerry had to get up too. He went back to sleep; but there I lay; so wide awake and the longer I lay there the more miserable I was. Finally the sun came up; and I moved to the recliner; finally fell back to sleep. I didn’t go with Jerry to visit his mom today since I am so washed out. Jerry picked us up some Chinese for dinner.
      I did order the cutest little ghost cookie jar from Temtations today. One of our sons traditions was to visit Jerrys Dad who kept a cookie jar on his kitchen counter for the boys that usually had Hersheys Kisses inside and it was such a special thing for him to say to them, “better check the jar, I think you might find something” and off they would go running. So I plan to keep our jar on the kitchen counter all year round, and keep treats in there for our little one and his Daddy will probably get himself a treat too. They have had some really cute things on today. I ordered the brown top with owls on it and the green vest to from Quacker today. tried so hard to resist but it is so cute, all items. lol I bet you all found something with your name on it too. This was a hard day to resist.
      DD, I thought I heard on the weather that your area had gotten some snow. Is that what happens this early there? When do you usually expect snow Sue? It is still hot here. In fact one thing that woke me was I was hot. My gown was sticky and I can’t sleep like that. I am usually cold natured but we are having such an unusual Fall. We are due for some rain from that storm in Texas. Those poor people are getting so much rain. I didn’t know about this storm until today. I know both our sons have told us that when they were stationed in Texas that the rain just pours and the ground is so hard and sandy that it will not absorb the water so it causes that bad flooding. Hope you have been able to repair your basement Gail. Water rushing has so much strength. You are so lucky that Gregg likes concerts, plays and such. I bet so much of it is due to his musical talent. Jerry has no interest in this. I am like Colleen with Ron; looking at tractors or such as we pass them in a pasture. He talked to me for quite a while about the new cotton planted now vs. what we saw as kids. He is really in to his foliage. He and Aizen would make a good pair. lol Take care everyone and have a good evening. Barbara

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I found out watching the Q that Thurs. afternoon will be Judith Ripka’s last on-air show. It’s at 4pm ET. they;re doing a retrospective show of her jewelry.
      I wonder if Rick is going to be the host with her. I know he’s done alot of shows with her. I wonder why she’s leaving. Hopefully she’ll say why.
      It’s been rainy most of this week. We set records for the amount of rain we got over the weekend. There was localized flooding due to clogged drains. and the leaves havent even fallen off the trees yet. They’re just barely turning. It’s possible there was snow in the higher elevations, but not where I am. Probably 4,000-5,000 ft. Not down to the ski resorts yet. We won;t see snow where I am till Jan. But I think we’re in for a hard winter this yr.

I’ve got most of my decorating done. Still have some things to finish. Right now it’s all fall decor. I haven’t put up Halloween yet. Will do that later.
      Snowball has been a character. I’ll be sending pics of her being silly.
      Well I better finish this & get it sent.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Love the pictures of Snowball “helping” with the decorating. Does she shed a lot with all that white hair?
      From what I understand Judith Ripka sold her company a few years back so she has basically been just an on air rep since then. I guess maybe her daughter in law and that other woman will still be the on air reps for her jewelry. I have heard speculation that she just wants to retire or that she looks sick-so who really knows unless she confirms something herself. I would imagine she will just say she is retiring from the Q.
      I don’t know how that works when someone sells the company like that. Does she still do the designs but everything else is out of her hands. If someone can explain I would appreciate it. Then she also has her couture line which I imagine is separate from the QVC business-i would think. So will she continue with that or hand it off to her son who I think also designs. I’m not sure how all that works. I know a lot of businesses that got big on QVC then sold to other companies-It cosmetics, Laura Geller, Philosophy-I think Isaac.
      Poor Texas is getting pounded with rain.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      My decorating has been slowed by the fact that most of my stuff is in the basement so I will start next week.
      Actually I have put a few things out that i already had upstairs or that were new but very little as yet but at least it’s starting to look a little fallish.
      Barbara, I have the same issues. I will wake up to go to the bathroom and then not be able to fall back asleep. Now the funny thing is if I could put a TV on I would have no problem falling asleep but Greg can’t sleep with a TV on-but I can put music on even though that doesn’t have the same effect as the TV-at least I can lay there and listen sometimes to several albums before I doze off again. Or if it gets too bad i come downstairs lay on the couch put the TV on and fall right to sleep. Go figure.
      You must have bought that boofetti cookie jar which is adorable.
      I am hoping that Quacker will have something brand new for it’s upcoming shows on Sunday and Monday-i believe. I think that’s their Halloween shows.
      Barbara, I think that was written into our marriage contract-you have to like musicals. lol
      It’s funny that you said that about the cotton fields. Whenever we pass them in our travels Greg always goes Ewwwwww! Here’s the reason-the man is afraid of cotton balls! lol I could literally chase him around the house if I threatened to touch him with a cotton ball. lol What a wimp! Don’t know where this aversion came from-he says to him cotton balls are like fingernails on a chalk board.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen
      That is awful about the Dish. Why do they take so long to get there for a repair? It gets lonely if you can’t hear the TV in the background to find out the weather, etc. i hope it is a one and done repair.
      I totally get it with 911. I cry every time I see a piece on it, or the poor sick firemen. So many souls lost that day, and so many lives forever changed.
      So, tomorrow I go for shot #1 of the 3 gel shots. Ill be glad when those are done, and I will be all set for another year.
      How is Ron? All the girls?? grands??
      Did you find the pillow for the pool, and get it closed? We are already getting leave in the cover. It was so chilly up here this am, I had to finally give in, and out the heat on- just once….LOL
      I liked the other judges too. the new ones seem nice. I wonder if the older ones are moving on, to bigger and better things???
      Hope you have a good weekend, with TV.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Gail and Colleen
      Of course we will add prayers for Christine. That poor thing has to suffer with so many illnesses. My heart goes out to her.
      Prayers sent!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      Oh yes, the pics could be very damaging. Back then, what was done was not nice, and nobody realized it. Or, even worst, they did not care. Today we are all a lot more aware of how words, actions, and even Halloween costumes affect people. I am so thrilled that they are now doing commercials with bi-racial families. Finally!
      I also like the tree with nothing on it, but, I am getting outvoted. Steph is even bringing one of her chairs to decorate, for Marissa to sit in. She does not want Marissa to feel fat sitting in one of their regular chairs- she wants the chair to be bigger than Marissa’s belly. How cute is that? She is really getting very fancy with the decorations.
      I was not surprised when that young man won last night. But, all of them were so good. I was telling Gary I think they need to move to a 1st 2nd and 3rd prize. It just seems so unfair for only one person to win. I hope all those acts get picked up so they can start their careers.
      I am dying to see the new show with Jimmy Smitts on Monday. I have loved every show he has been in- kind of like our favorite, Tom Selick….LOL Tom is going to have some real completion!
      Hey- did you see the Boofetti set of 4 cauldrons? Could not resist. I got the TSV for Frankie and his girlfriend for Christmas, from the company. I am moving right along with gifts…….
      Hope your day is good!
      We put out 2 of the outs=door decorations….the rest are still buried, with the hope of resurrection before Monday. Also now waiting for Martha’s outdoor silhouette witch to arrive……I was very bad yesterday.
      Adele

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara!
      Those nights are awful. the other night, I think I did not get to sleep until dawn. then your eyes keep closing all day long, and the kids think you are having a seizure. I hate those nights.
      the last 2 nights up here were so cold, I even had a cold nose in bed. Finally, decided to put the hate on, just once this am, as it was really too cold for my shoulder….LOL
      Was there a Quacker Factory show on yesterday???? I have been waiting for the Halloween show. Please, please, tell me I did not miss it!! that is my favorite show of all. Last night I recorded ITKWD while I watched AGT. Nothing on for that show that I did not see all day. I got the Boofetti set of 4 cauldrons- one set for our ace employees too- splitting up one set to give each of them 2.
      I think that is a great tradition to continue with the cookie jars. they have cookie jars for every season, or just keep put Boofetti!
      I took out such a small amount of decorations, and everyone who comes over thinks the house looks great. Seriously??? i can’t even find the adorable needlepoint ornaments I made for myself and the kids last year- the ones I hung on the cabinet doors. they are in one of the boxes in the back room closet, and I wish I knew which one. the kids have ordered me NOT to dare get out one more thing, as they are afraid I will hurt the am again, and then there goes my good time at the shower. I have been asked to make cookies to go with the blue/white/silver winter theme, so Steph can display them nicely. I will make the Italian Anise cookies with white frosting and blue sparkly sugar, and lemon cookies, dusted with confectionery sugar. Steph saw a cake that looks like the bark of a birch tree, and is hinting we should try to do it- to match the centerpiece trees- they have the bark of the birch trees. God help us all up here! LOL
      Hope your day is going well, and that you will enjoy the Chinese!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      OMG. i just lost the entire post I wrote to you. So, here is a summary:
      Great decorations. You and your kitty are a match made in heaven
      Love the Temptations in the pics
      Heard about the rain in your area, and so glad you are safe and sound
      Your kitty can be called an inside and outside kitty as she frolics among the Fall leaves
      That sums up all my comments…..LOL
      How did you like the winner last night??
      Please read my comments to the girls on my other thoughts about AGT.
      Hope your evening goes well!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG!!
      this is the third time. I am out of energy to type.

DD, i wrote you 2 nice posts,and they both disappeared.
      So, this one will be brief, in case it goes too.

Hope you are good. Love the decorations. Love that your kitty loves to sit in the leaves. So happy you have this adorable kitty by your side.

Saw the rain you were getting, and happy you are safe and sound.

Hope the weather is better out there, so you can enjoy the nice smells of Fall!!!
      Love, Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

LOL…did you see I have 2 posts to you now???

LOL
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I was disappointed with AGT but was not surprised. I knew Kodi would win way back when he first auditioned. People just vote for him because they feel sorry for him & think he should win. He was not the best singer & doubt he can carry a Vegas show. Most of my favorites were voted off a long time ago. The ones that made it to the top 5 I liked Ryan & the dance acrobat group. Top 10 I liked Voices of Service. Anyway those are my thoughts.

On DWTS I can’t believe Wendy Williams would say Christie Brinkley is faking her injury just to get her daughter on. No one would fake an injury like that. They have to score more on the steps & how the dance should be done. I know Len pretty much did that before he would tell them if it wasn’t a true dance as it was to be done. I think if they are going to learn it should be the correct way. I thought Mary did so well for her age so graceful. I am afraid she will have trouble with the faster dances as when we age we don’t move as fast & flexible as the young people. Did anyone else think some of the music did not match the dance?

We are cold here too. In the 40’s in the morning but I don’t want to turn on the heat yet. It is to be 80 this weekend so I hope so. I need to warm up. I made veggie soup yesterday to warm me up.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      That is really cool about your sisters dance instructor. I can remember when they use to have ball room dancing shows on regular tv. I use to love to watch them dance and they had such beautiful dresses and they danced so graceful. That was real ball room dancing to me. I like to watch them now but very seldom know what dance they are doing. Use you could tell the Cha Cha from the Tango. lol
      Our dish started working again today. Ron was fooling around with it and it came back on. I am not sure what to do with about them coming. I was thinking of calling them and just get the Hopper since they are coming anyway. I will see what they say.
      How are you doing with getting the water out of the basement. I hope it did not do much damage this time. We have been getting so much rain and an really surprised that they do not have more people talking about getting water in the basements. We are lucky that we got the new roof on. I like it some what but if it rains really hard you can hear the rain and it drives me crazy. Ron likes it but I think they had a metal roof in one of the houses he lived in as a kid.
      I will be able to watch DWTS on Monday and am really excited. I want to see the new dancers and how they do. It is always fun to watch. I did not think that the judges were the ones that were the problem with the votes. I thought it was the ones that called in to vote. I wish that they would just allow one vote instead of so many. We will see.
      Have a great night
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I love the pictures of Snowball. He is really enjoying the fall decorations. Your apartment looks really cute with the decorations that you are putting up. I cannot get to mine yet. We are still putting the house back together.
      That is sad that Judith Ripka is leaving. She really is a good designer. I do not wear jewelry but do like to look at it sometimes. I like the Mexican jewelry that is really pretty but do not wear it. I do not know why it bothers me so much when I wear it. I use to wear it when I was a kid but not now.
      I hope that your weather is better now and not too hot. We are getting the hot weather again here but it is supposed to cool down next week. We will see what happens.
      Have a great night
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      The Halloween decorations are so cute. I wish that I had a place to put them outside. We have too many dogs and other animals around here to put things out. We would have to have everything on the deck and then we could not walk around on there.
      How did it go with your shot? I hope that it is helping and you are not in as much pain. What we we do without all the shots that we can have and other medicines to keep us going.
      I think the Quacker Halloween show is on Monday. They may show some of the things that will be on it Sunday. I think that I read that right. I cannot wait to see what they have and hope they have more new things. I really hope that they come down their prices so I can afford to buy more. It seems like her prices are going up. I guess that they are every where.
      How is Tillie doing? I hope that she is doing better and getting around better. I know that you really worry about her. It is hard not to when they get that age. You just have to love them and do what you can to keep her happy and comfortable. That is all we could do for mu mom. She was happy just like I know Tillie is. You are really good to her.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      It was cooler here too, and now the air is back on. Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow- 90. Then it goes back into the 70’s. I was just having fun cooking some of my favorite meals, and back to the heat.
      It seemed AGT was rushing the intros, and the practice sessions. As there are so many in the beginning, that is ok. I also loved Mary Wilson. I hoep she can keep up, and does not get hurt.
      I also loved the voices of service, and the children’s choirs from Detroit, and Africa. There were so many good acts this year, and no gross ones-like the regurgitator. I could not stand him. Disgusting.
      I saw on the news feed on my laptop that there was a shooting at a football game, and then they discovered it was not a shooting? That was awful.. Those parents and kids must have been so frightened.
      Gary discovered we now have QVC 2. I just tried it, and he is right. Do you have it?
      How is the new car doing??
      Wait until you hear what I did yesterday. My SIL calls on Thursday night to invite us to Rosh Hashana. as she lives so far away, and it would mean an hour and a half drive on very dark roads to come home after 9:00 pm, we had to decline. So, I tell Gary we will don something today to celebrate his holiday. We decide on a brunch, as I have not made the genuine Belgium Waffles in a while, and he loves them. So, we modify the shopping list to get the things we need, and late last night I text my SIL just to confirm we will not come, and tell her what we are doing. ( she was going to be away until Sat night, so did not her back from her) Then, Gary looks at the calendar, and says….they do not even mention it on hear- nobody cares about the Jewish holidays. So, I check my address book, and low and behold, it is next week, not today. I wrote my SIL another text, and say I must be losing my mind, and I hope God has a good sense of humor…..LOL
      Hope your day wen well!!
      Adele
      PS attaching recipe of the waffles, in case anyone wants to make them

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      Thank you for the compliments on the decorations. Please read the post to Se for all the wacky info of the day. i did a good one this time!
      Well, Tillie was not feeling good on Thursday, and I was afraid to go for the shot and leave her, even though Heather said she would stay. Sol i move it out one more week. So, I will going for the next 3 weeks.
      Tillie is better today, and she came up for the celebration brunch. But, she had bobby walk behind her, and she was very wobbly. I know it is very close to her rot being able to do the stairs anymore. More due to being unsteady on her feet- not the ability to climb the stairs. Getting older is not easy, especially at 93.
      I am really tired. I got up at 7:00 to shower before doing the waffles, and my eyes are dragging. So,Ill talk later…..
      Have a good night.
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I wish there was something that could be done for Tillie’s balance. It is a shame that the stair lift did not work out for you. It is hard to watch our mom’s to go down like that. It seems like it happens so fast and there is nothing we can do to change it. I am praying for her and all of you. It is nice that she got to come up today and join all of you for the celebration. You are so lucky to have your son there to help her. You are really lucky to have your family so close by.
      That is funny that you went to all that work and you had the wrong day. I have done that a few times myself. I am glad that you went ahead and had the waffles. I bet everyone enjoyed them. I was reading the recipe and they sound really good and a lot of work. I can’t believe that you got up at 7:30 to get started. I am lucky if I get up by 10 am. Just here recently I have been sleeping late and taking a nap later. I never use to be like that I guess I just need more sleep.
      We have to close the pool on Tuesday. My daughter is coming to help close it. I will be glad to get it done. Ron keeps telling me all this stuff that I have to do that I have never heard of. I may end up getting someone to come over and close it for me. Just so they can show me how.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a good night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen!
      Tillie is very shaky all the time- her hands tremble. Because of how funky she walks, she is becoming more un-steady. Gary keeps telling me I have to accept that she will get worst, as she gets older, and there is nothing anyone can really do. People were not made to live 93 1/2 years.
      Oh yes, I am very lucky that everyone is withing a 5 to 10 minute drive. Heather has been staying over a lot, especially since Amanda got an apartment with 3 roommates in the next Town. She gets lonely……LOL
      I was real tired yesterday, and then got pretty uncomfortable late yesterday afternoon. I had the same pain I have been having once in a awhile, with a lot of uncomfortable gas. I googled it, and I am afraid it is ulcers. I am hoping it is not. Today I feel like someone beat the hell out of my stomach- very sore. Other than that, I am ok. It gets real tiring to keep getting these stupid pains, and feeling not yourself. Oh well. It will pass.
      For the pool you clean the bottom real good. Lower the water level an inch below the skimmer. Unhook everything. Clean the filter and pump, ( just the hose does the job) and LEAVE THEM OPEN TO DRY OUT REAL GOOD. Then, put them in a shed or somewhere. Blow up the pillow, attach it to the sides so it stays put, put all the closing chemicals in the pool- we walk around the pool to do them- they will mix up themselves- then put the cover on, and secure it. It sounds like a lot, but it is really not.
      I hope you get it all done, so that is one more thing off your plate.
      The new shows start tonight! Yahoo! I am dying to see bluff City Law.
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hello Friends. We are a little less humid today. The heat is to return in a few days though. We are having a very strange Fall in the South. I bet the cold air did aggrevate your shoulder Adele. Jerry is actually sitting in his chair right now with a heating pad on the small of his back. It seems that even the smallest of weather changes stirs up some kind of bodily reaction in one or both of us. I am blessed with feeling good today. We have Joey and Lisa staying with us because their air conditioner stopped cooling late Friday afternoon. I may have told you all this; sorry but I forget sometimes what I have already said. lol But anyway, we had a really good weekend with Lisa. And Joey was able to rest in the cool in Neals bedroom upstairs. There is a shower and full bath upstairs and Joey said he couldn’t even hear our TV and our bedroom is right under Neals. Lisa said she rested so good. I had to laugh when she said that Neal has really good taste in mattresses; because his was so comfortable. ha ha Neal has always been ever since he was little; someone who will do without until he can save and get exactly what he wants. His mattress is probably better than ours. If I could only walk up those stairs I should check it out. lol We made BLT’s last night for dinner; so Joey asked us to save him enough for sandwiches this morning when he got home. He came in our bedroom when he heard us up and hugged Jerry and I and thanked us for being here for them. We told him son, our home is always open for all you boys and your family. It hurts me to think of how so many don’t have someone to love them and be there for them; young or old. I know you all know what I’m talking about.
      Your decorations just look so cute Adele. You have really gotten into the Halloween spirit. I think those Martha Stewart cauldrons were so cute. I tried to order the cat, but they said it was sold out. We have I think either 3 or 4 Q channels here. I really get so confused as to which one I should watch for the programs I want to watch. So I very well may have given you wrong info on watching the Quacker show. For all I know what I was watching may have been a repeat of one shown at another time. I did see the Judith Ripka show; and Rick was on there as host; but I didn’t hear her really say what reason about her leaving. She does seem so much thinner to me than say a year ago; and different hair but if I had the financial security she has and hopefully she is in good health, I would most definitely turn over the reins and enjoy life. I hope she is healthy and decided to leave for happy reasons. I do miss some of the brands I used to see. There used to be a jogger like brand; now I can’t remember the name; Sports savvy mabey, that I just loved. They were so comfortable. I got out my Quacker pumpkin vest this weekend. It is just too hot for me to wear it. I had taken it out about a month ago when we had that cook spell; but then right back. I bet I have had this at least 10 years probably more.
      Hope Tillie is having a good day. Our MawMaw will be 94 in December. She got her flu shot last week. We take each day as it comes. I found her some really pretty tops this summer on such a good sale on the Q. One of the aides told me last week that she always looks so pretty. We get her hair cut once a month at the salon; and the aides also polish her nails. She had on bright red but it was pretty. Her favorite necklace is one I gave her from Nolan Miller; a turquoise and pearl string. I am kind of surprised that no one has “helped” themselves to it; but we are there so much. Speaking of that; we went to the cemetery last week; we go every week, and we had just changed his arrangement two weeks ago. Long story short; someone had stolen his arrangement, and stuck these cheap scrawny 4 plastic flowers in the vase. I was so upset. Good grief, I think I told you all this too. Just look over me girls. Well, news is; I did see the cemetery business office today, and blasted them after they told me they cannot watch each grave; and told them if this is their attitude I have really made a mistake by our chosing them for our final resting place. I said I wish I had known this before we made our arrangements. Rant over.
      Your kitties are so precious DD. Your little Snowball has a mischievious side; doesn’t she? Our kittly is so happy to have Joey, Lisa and their doggie here. He loves playing with their puppy dog. She is an older doggie; so they are both about the same play wise. Our kitty tries to make Ruby chase him and then he jumps up on his kitty tree so she can’t reach him. lol Glad you are away from the fire danger now. That must be so scary.
      I am starting to watch my Halloween and Holiday cooking shows tonight on the Food Network channel. Just love all the talent I see.
      Well better go for now. Please keep fingers crossed that their AC will be able to be repaired and not replaced. Hope everyone is okay. Sue, has it gotten cold where you are yet? I worry about you and the icy roads and such. I don’t do well on slick surfaces of any kind. Falling is such a fear to me. Take care everyone. Barb

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Just a quick note. HAPPY FALL everybody!! I hope this finds everyone doing fine. I’m still in the throws of decorating for fall. I have to do little bits at a time. No Halloween stuff up yet. I thought I’d get a reaction from you Adele. LOL. Your decorations are cute. I got a chuckle out of your boo-boo. Like I said at least you didn’t forget it altogether. That would be me.
      Adele, does Tillie have Parkinson’s? I wonder if that’s what’s causing her to shake so much. Does she have an inner ear issue? That could be the balance problem. I’m sure you’ve had all that checked out, but I was just wondering. On another issue, that pic on IG of the QF show was from last yr. I remember Antonella, & I recognize the little girl between Angel, & Patrick. If you’ll notice Antonella still had her dark hair. The host with Angel today was Jennifer Coffey. she’s not loud & more mellow than some of the other hosts. I think she’s sweet tho. she does alot of jewelry shows. I missed the Q2 show last night, & most of it this morning.
      Our last day of summer looked more like October, dark & rainy most of the day. It was overcast today, but dry. The trees are just starting to turn on the very tops now.
      I fixed a pork loin today & shared it with Critt. I ran out of potatoes, so I warmed up some baked beans. So we had pork & beans for dinner tonight.

I;m glad you enjoy my tales of Snowball’s antics. she’s full of energy like a 3 yr old. she drives me crazy sometimes, meowing & meowing to get outside in the hallway. She wants to find out what’s going on in the apt across the hall. she hears, or smells another cat over there. When she does get out there, she makes a mad dash for the end of the hall. and when I start out after her she runs to the other end of the hallway. Half way down she turns to see where I’m at. If I get too close she takes off again. I’m not as quick as I used to be. lol
      Colleen, I don’t wear jewelry either. But I have to admit that I LOVE the Sleeping Beauty turquoise jewelry. It’s too expensive for me. I tuned into the last show with Judith Ripka, & I nearly passed out looking at the prices of the jewelry she was presenting. WOW!!! is all I can say. You’d have to be pretty well off to afford those prices. I can’t wear anything around my neck as I break out in a rash when I do.
      Well, I better get off here before I lose this.
      Have a great week!!
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      We went to Indianapolis this past weekend to visit my sister and we had a great time. Friday evening we went to an Octoberfest Celebration. I would have stayed longer to listen to the music but we had no chairs with us as we really didn’t know what to expect at the place where we were going. it was fun though. Saturday we went to a global fest where they had all kinds of different music and dancing and food from different countries. it was fun but I ended up getting over heated as the tables that were out to sit at were out in the sun as there was no shade anywhere. I ended up having to cool myself down with a bottle of cold water and a handkerchief. (I think my husband is the only person in the world that still carries one) lol We wanted to see this one dance group because my sister used to be on their board-it’s called Kid’s Dance Outreach. They really do an amazing job teaching dance to kids who wouldn’t be able to afford it otherwise. Then Saturday night we went to a dinner theater and saw Hairspray. We had some adventures finding some of these places as even though my sister has lived in Indy for years -the October Fest and the playhouse were in areas that she doesn’t normally go to. One place had tons of roundabouts on the way and the other was on a road way off the beaten path. Even with GPS it was hard to find both places. But we made it with some perseverance and driving around in circles. Greg isn’t known as Rand MacNally for nothing! lol
      DD, Snowball probably thinks having you chase her up and down the hall is a great game.
      Barbara, I hope the AC was an easy fix. I believe that Judith said she just didn’t want to travel to Pennsylvania in the ice and snow anymore and she just wanted to stay home in Florida. I think she still plans on continuing to design. I say more power to her-she’s put in many years of work and she may as well sit back and enjoy. I still have some sports savvy cloths in my collection-they last a long time like Quacker and Denim and Co. There was even a line of knits that were kind of mix and match way in the beginning but the name escapes me right now. I’ll probably think of it tomorrow.
      You are very dedicated going to the cemetery every week. In all honesty I have never been to either of my parents graves after they were buried as my Dad is in Louisiana and my mom is buried in Florida.
      I have the Halloween Food shows copied waiting for a chance to watch them. I may not get to them for awhile with all the other new shows.
      Colleen, I’m glad the Dish started working again-it was a miracle!
      I didn’t realize that you put on a metal roof. I hope you get used to the rain sound. I would imagine that they last longer than shingles. Do they get ice on them in the winter? I don’t know much about them.
      The basement is good so far-knock on wood.
      Adele, I was kind of disappointed in the Falloween Quacker show. Not much new Halloween this year. Then they jumped right to Christmas today.
      So what did you think of DWTS-so far their new voting hasn’t helped as Lamar and Sean should have been the bottom two. I was sorry to see Mary go home so soon. I wonder if people sometimes vote for the pro that they like to stay on too. If you have a popular pro it probably helps you even if you stink. I think that lady from The Office is going to be a sleeper this year and do well. Or i may have to eat my words. lol
      I bet the people on the west coast feel ignored since they can’t vote. So that’s how we in the midwest feel all the time when they call us “flyover country.” lol But really it doesn’t seem fair. I also agree with Colleen. Why do people need to vote multiple times-except maybe if they vote for more than one person. Of course I have lived through many a Chicago election where people vote multiple times and also they are dead! lol That’s Cook County politics.
      Who knows how much longer the state of Illinois will even be solvent and they already tax us for EVERYTHING and then they wonder why people and businesses leave the state. Oh well enough of politics-that will be all we hear from now til November of 2020 anyway.
      Your waffle recipe looks good but I think I’ll stay with my Krusteaz waffle mix-it’s much easier.
      Those darn calendars that don’t show the Jewish holidays especially if you are looking at the wrong week! lol
      Don’t feel bad-I once took Greg to a wedding on the wrong night. lol
      Gail

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

BREAKING NEWS LADIES,
      I got a message from Adele just moments ago. she’s in the hospital with Diviticulitus and colitis. She says she’s sick but getting a little better. She’s asking for prayers from everyone. she didn’t say how long she’s been in the hospital or when she’s gonna be released. Obviously not anytime soon from the sounds of her message. I don’t know too much about these diseases but I can imagine she’s in pain.

I got an email about Boofetti dinnerware yesterday & sent messages to her about it. I didn’t hear back from her, which was surprizing to me. I tried & tried but got nothing back. Now I know why. She must’ve been in the hospital at that time.

If I hear anything from her I’ll be sure to let you know.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Thanks so much DD. I was wondering why she hadn’t been around lately. I know she had diverticulitis before and had surgery for it. That would explain all the stomach pain that she has been having lately. I will be praying for her and keep us posted if you hear anything else.
      Gail

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I apologize for the sudden sign off. I got to the end & a big black block came up & blocked off my post. I had to submit before I lost it completely.
      I’ll keep in touch if I hear anything from her. Hopefully the next time we’ll be hearing from her!!
      dd

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      Yeah, when I sent the email about the dinnerware to her & didn’t hear back, I got to wondering. You know how ga-ga she is over Boofetti. I was sure she’d buy it out, lol. I thought I’d hear her cheering & carrying on from here. But not a peep. Not until I got the message this afternoon. IT’s ironic I had just got back from a spagehtti dinner & management meeting downstairs & found the message on my phone.
      Bless her heart, she has so much going on with Tillie, & everything else. she doesn’t need this.
      I’m having friends pray for her as well.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

DD thanks for letting us know about Adele.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Thank you for letting us know about Adele. Please keep us informed if you hear more.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      Sounds like you had a good time at your sisters. The Oktoberfest and the global fair sound like a lot of fun. They did not think it thru when they set that all up. It is a shame that you got so hot when you were listening to the music. I know how you enjoy the music. I wonder why they did not fix some places to sit with a tent or one of those things that just keep the sun off and no sides.
      I did not think that they had that many cute things or new things on the Falloween show. It seems like it is a lot of the old things that they had before. Do you like those tops that you can change the way the design looks on your top? I really do not think that I would ever wear them. You would always be fooling with it and it is just in the middle of your chest. Weird place. I also think that her prices went up also. I really liked the checked top with the design by the collar but it was $61.00. I thought it was really high. I hope that it will go on clearance and I may buy it then.
      I am not too happy with the way they do the judging. I thought Mary Wilson was much better the the other guy that was the bottom two. I cannot remember his name but he walked around like a zombie. Oh well I think that I am turning into a complainer. It will be fun to see how it goes next Monday. I think that they have some good dancers again this year. It will be hard to pick the winner.
      We went to mom’s house for the walk thru. I did pretty good until we got to my mom’s bedroom. I couldn’t go in there. It was empty and so lonely looking. I kept thinking about the last few days that I was there with my mom. All the talks we had and her telling me how she felt about everything. I just wish that we did not have to go thru that. That is life though.
      Colleen
      p.s. I hope that Adele is doing okay. She needs a lot of prayers

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

DD,
      I sent her a get well ecard last night and so far she hasn’t picked it up yet. Of course I don’t know if she has her phone with her or not. I’m hoping we will hear something else today. I am worried. I know from experience that taking care of an elderly loved one can be very stressful as we worry so much about the other person’s well being that sometimes we neglect our own. I’m glad that the shower is still a month or so away so she will be good for that. I am praying very hard for a complete and speedy recovery.
      On another note I went to the temptations website to see the booffetti dinnerware and it is already all sold out. Popular stuff!
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      So does going for a walk through mean that your Mom’s house is sold or did you guys just do that to make sure everything was done and everything was out? I understand why you didn’t want to go into her bedroom. Some day the sadness will be replaced by all the good memories that you had there. It takes a long time but even now whenever you think of her I bet you still smile through the sadness. It’s good to grieve but then it’s also good to remember all the wonderful things we loved about those who we have lost. It’s all part of a process. I think it would be nice if our loved ones could just send us one message from beyond saying that it’s okay and that they are happy. It would make us feel so much better.
      I remember after Kim died- Brent was out on the front porch at dawn and he said he witnessed the most gorgeous sunrise and he said he felt like it was Kim telling him that she was all right. It makes me cry even to write that but at least he had a hopeful sign that he believed came from her.
      I guess they didn’t have any shelters up for the Global Fest because who would have thought that it would have been 90 degrees on September 21-lol.
      Quacker, Denim and Co, Susan Graver are all getting expensive with shirts being in the 50 dollar and plus range. I suppose everything has gone up in stores too-I just don’t shop in stores much as I found the Q quality to be better. I actually have that shirt with the sequins that change colors-I have a Christmas shirt that does that too. I buy them because the grands like them. Especially Piper. They have always loved my Halloween shirts-even more than the Christmas ones. When they get big I won’t have any excuse for buying Quacker. lol
      Yes Sean Spicer and Lamar Odem should have been in the bottom two-but that’s what you get when the people are voting. I swear people must be voting goofy just to sabotage the show. lol
      Looks like all we are going to have all day on the regular channels is political stuff. I wonder if it will be on this afternoon and interfere with my soaps? lol
      Did you cancel the Dish guy or did you have him come out anyway.
      Have you been watching the recent Christmas shows? I need to get started on my fall-Halloween stuff now that the basement is dried out. I think we dodged a bullet there and hopefully the water didn’t get under the flooring. Greg has put a drain pipe through the raised flower bed that he thinks was making the water back up so I hope that will fix the problem without us having to do a lot of grading and maybe moving the deck. That would be a headache. We are having some nice fall days before the rain comes in tomorrow.
      I think the school that Lachlan and Piper go to is having a dinner for parents and grandparents tomorrow.
      Gail

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      No word from Adele today. I sent her a message on Messenger, but nothing. She must really be sick. I’m worried it’s more serious than originally
      thought. I hope we hear something from her soon.

On a different note,I see you’re still having summer time temps. Brace yourself, we’re expecting temps to plummet this weekend. We’re gonna have snow levels down to mt. pass levels. NOT down here where I am yet. But this is a tad bit early, I think. If we’d had this weather 2 yrs ago that fire would’ve been out by now. They showed a map of North America & a huge cold air mass is coming our way out of Canada. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

take care everyone.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

I haven’t heard anything yet either. Very worried. Maybe they had to do surgery or something.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      The walk thru was just for us to see what they did. My brother just wanted us to go thru there and make sure that we were all happy with it. He took the last pictures of all of us in that house. It was just sad that we did not have mom in the picture. But it was a really hard to go thru that house. It was mom all the way thru. She designed it and and picked all the colors and everything in there. We learned one thing never design a room to fit your furniture. Her bedroom was really big and she had all the space taken with her furniture. Her closet was huge. It had all kinds of shelves and different racks to hang her clothes.
      It is good that Brent aw that sunset. At least it brought peace and made him feel like Kim was telling him she was okay. It would be nice if we all had that experience when someone dies.
      I am glad that you like those shirts. They are just not my taste. I must be in the minority because they sell a lot of them. I do not shop in many stores either. We had to go shopping for new jeans for Ron and some shirts and they are expensive. Poor Ron was having a fit. He did not want to spend the money so I had to just take them to the register and put them on the counter.
      I am not sure why people vote the way they do. I kind of wonder if they a problem seeing. No one is going to be a great dancer they have not danced before . They do have to know that if they go to all that work they will be able to win. Last year was a joke. That guy that won was a horrible dancer and it is like they blamed Shawna for it also. It was weird they did not ask her back.
      The dish came and had to change our whole system. We got a new sattilite dish and we got the Hopper. The dish we had was so old that they do not make it anymore or service them. I didn’t realize we had it that long. We are having a hard time getting use to the way the hopper works. It is kind of aggravating that we are so dumb.
      I haven’t been watching the Christmas shows. I did watch some of them that were on in July but that was about all. They are going to start showing the Christmas shows The end of October so that will be a long time. I will not be watching that much of the regular channels with all the politics. I do not want to listen to them tell lies about each other and make a bunch of promises that they will not keep. I just get tired of it.
      I do not have any fall decorations up yet either. We still do not have the house put together so it is going to be hard finding all my things. I have all kinds of Christmas presents I put in the back bedroom but am finding a hard time finding them all. So that room will be cleaned out first.so we can find all our holiday decorations and gifts.
      I am so glad that you got your basement was not damaged too bad. You really did dodge the bullet this time. I hope putting the drain pipe in will help with the problem.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night. I sure hope we hear from Adele soon. I am worried about her also.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Everyone I had a e-mail from Adele late last night. She said it has been a rough few days. Her blood count was 32000 & now 23000. She said it is colitis. They did a colonoscopy yesterday & are to get the results today. She got very sick after that but is better now but weak. She thanks everyone for the prayers & says more are needed. She said she loves us all.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Thanks so very much for the update,Sue.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      I’m glad you heard from Adele. those #s look sky high to me. I hope she’s on her way to being well. I forwarded it onto Barbara since her internet is down. It took awhile for me to figure it out but I got it done.

Weather is changing as I speak. they’re expecting snow down to the ski resorts this weekend. Some areas in Montana will be under blizzard conditions. Seems early for that!!
      take care
      dd

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

I told Adele we share info when anyone hears from her. She probably does not feel like answering all e-mails, So when she e-mails one of us we can share with the others. Those numbers do sound high. I don’t know what the normal number is.
      I am glad you got in touch with Barbara as I did not know her internet was down. I wonder if it is weather related. We had a thunderstorm here. Sun is out today. Started out in the 40’s but is in the 70’s now.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      Also thanks to the Eagles for beating the Packers. lol
      You guys have one of our former running backs, Howard.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Gail, Anytime. One team always has to lose. I was mad that the Eagles got rid of Foles. So I just hope Wentz stays healthy. Our fans were commenting how respectful the Packers were when one of our players got hurt.
      Penn State plays tonight. I like Saturday games better. But I will switch back & forth so I see whats happening. They have 3 wins but that was not against Big 10 teams. We lost most of our good players but these guys are doing pretty well.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      Thank-you for the information on Adele
      Colleen
      \

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I have been touch with Barbara and have told her everything that has been posted. You probably have also so she is getting it in duplicate. That is good in case I missed something.
      It is hard when our computers are down we miss out on a lot.
      Have a great night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey everyone
      Please excuse me being brief. Tough morning. No more arthritis meds, so hard to move. Made big mistake this am- took all the meds- the antibiotic, pro biotics, and blood pressure and thyroid meds, and when I was sitting here reading emails, I began to retch. I was able to stop myself from vomiting, so I would not lose the meds I had inside me. Gary aka THE HUSBAND kept yelling from the other room….what are you doing? Took him a while to get out of his chair and look. were I choking, I would have died….LOL he thought i was exercising. Can’t lame him, as he is exhausted, and picked up a cold from being in the ER all night. Were in ER from dinnertime to 6:00 am, until admitted. Very crowded.

I now have colitis. Also the diverticulitis is back, but that was not the issue. The hospital stay took a lot out of me, and I am very weak. Not to mention the aches form arthritis. I am a little down, and having a pity party today. You know my rule- 24 hour limit on pity party and then suck it up, buttercup.

Here goes:
      Barbara- so glad the kids stayed with you for a few days, as I know you had fun! I cant believe how warm it is up here too. Very weird weather. I saw the middle of the country is getting a snow storm. seriously??

DD- thank you for letting everyone know what happened. Gary brought in my cell phone, but I was too sore to read all the emails. All I could handle was a brief message on messenger, and an answer to Sue’s email, so she could tell people I was ok too. I missed the Boofetti dishes!! I saw the email you sent, but it was a notice of them to be available later. Guess I missed that one, permanently….LOL

Gailster- So glad you two love birds had a good time. My Dad always carried a handkerchief. Gary used to also, but no longer does. I missed DWTS, and a lot of other programs too….LOL That was hysterical about the wrong night wedding!! Imagine- if I did not make the mistake, Gary would not have had his holiday….LOL I started to get sick that night.

Colleen- So sorry about how you felt at your Mom’s house. I can’t imagine how it felt for you to do the final walk through. Tillie really lost ground when I was not here. she had things to eat downstairs, but nobody gave her a hot meal, as she said she did not want one. She was crying all the time because she was afraid for me. Bobby bought everyone dinner last night, and I felt so guilty when I saw her eat. She really enjoyed the hot meal with all of us, and it made me feel awful they listened to her, and did not insist on getting her take out. I am on a very limited diet, and not hungry anyway. So, get this……I had nothing to eat for 3 days but broth and jello, and gained 5 pounds in the hospital. Go figure.

Sue- thank you for the email, as I was at least able to respond to you. I knew you all be worried, so i answered you to let the girls know I was ok. I hope your football team win, as I know how much you love your sports. Did you watch Bluff City Law? I did, and I liked the show. Gary recorded a lot for me to see, and we will watch the new shows over the weekend.

Love you guys- thank you for the prayers, and please keep them coming.
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Adele I am glad you are home. You do have to eat something when taking the meds. I found that out when I had my knee done as I took my meds on an empty stomach & got sick. So even though I was not hungry I had to force myself to eat a little something. Your gaining 3 lbs may be water weight as they push fluids into you in the hospital. Always have IV bags until you walk out the door. I am sure if you follow their diet you will lose it just doesn’t happen quickly. So just take care & do what they told you.

I did watch Bluff City Law as I like Jimmy Smits but really did not care for it & he has not aged well. I may give it another chance to see if it improves.

Penn State did win 59 to 0. I can’t say they were that good the other team was so bad it made our team look good. Did you hear on DWTS Mary was voted out? I was sorry she was the first to go as others were worse dancers.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      That’s the trouble with college teams is that if you have a team with a lot of seniors you lose them all and who knows what you have the next year.
      Wow! Penn State really whopped that team!
      I recorded Bluff city law but haven’t seen it yet-heck I’m still trying to catch up with last years Gray’s anatomy. too much TV too little time.
      And now Dish has dropped our Chicago Fox station so what ever programs we watch there we have to watch over antenna from Rockford so that means no skipping commercials. Grrrr!
      Greg said there were a lot of bad injuries in that Eagles game. I hope everyone is okay.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

DD,
      Love the blanket with the Westie Christmas tree. Jenny has a Westie.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      that was sad about the house. I hope some nice young family buys it and fills it with love and laughter.
      that was nice that your Mom got to design everything and had such a nice big closet. Was she a clothes lover? I know you don’t care for jewelry (your husband is lucky) But did your Mom like jewelry?
      I know what you mean about Ron and the clothes. I don’t think Greg really realizes the cost of clothing as he shops at WalMart and Costco. He does like some of the CostCo jeans. By the way we got a new Costco just built in Rockford so that will be so much more convenient than the one in Lake in the Hills.
      Greg had a hard time adjusting to the new Dish remote. He is always copying things accidentally and I am always asking him how the heck he does that. lol
      Here’s what Piper said last night. she was practicing spelling. so she wanted to spell my name Gigi and then she wanted to spell grandpa but that was too long so Jenny told her to just write G Pa-I laughed and said that sounds like he’s a rapper-and Piper chimes in and says ” DJ G Pa in the house.” Which cracked us all up. sometimes she comes up with the most off the wall stuff.
      So I’m posting you a picture of the newest Patrick Taylor coming in November and a picture of the cookbook that goes along with his books. never knew about that one.

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Adele,
      that was funny that Gary thought you were exercising-even though you just got out of the hospital and are in a weakened state.
      That was a heck of a long time to wait in the ER. Hopefully they at least gave you something to ease your symptoms during that time.
      Living out in the country and having small hospitals I can’t imagine that wait.
      It’s fine if you want a pity party-you deserve it. I know the pain from the lack of meds must be as bad as the colitis. I know sometimes the arthritis meds can be hard on the digestive system but hopefully the docs will find something to help you with that too. Otherwise you will have to start smoking marijuana and then who knows what kind of funny stuff you will do and say to your family. I guess you can eat it too. is medical marijuana legal in Mass?
      I agree with Sue-those pounds are probably water weight as they just pump fluids in the hospital. I hate that as it makes you have to pee every two seconds.
      We will keep praying that you are up and around soon and back to your old self. Someone has to keep an eye on Gary and the rest of the family and crack the whip. lol
      Hugs,
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue
      I did hear Mary was voted off. I thought she was good. We will see how it goes tonight.
      Bluff City Law is on again tonight. I will watch it. I recorded the other shows, so we can see them later. Then, we will decide which ones to keep watching. You can”t watch everything….LOL
      I lost 3 of the pounds, but my legs are still awfully swollen. It will pass.
      I was exhausted today. It is hard getting your strength back later an internal infection.
      PT came today. She gave me 2 exercises, and will be back Wednesday.
      Everyone keeps saying I was very sick. Somehow I did not feel that sick. I still felt I did not need to go to the ER, until I saw the blood.
      So, the results on the biopsy are back. No cancer, but they did not go up very far, as all was inflamed. They are calling this ischemic colitis. Not chronic. Apparently, the place where I had the prior surgery for diverticulitis, is where it started. Doctor said it was a weak spot, and there was no blood or oxygen getting to that point- then the swelling and bleeding started. This may be a one and done. If not, they will look further to see if I have a blood disease or auto immune disorder.
      I get the weirdest things. Just glad it is over, and I hope it continues to get better.
      Thank you for your prayers!
      Love you guys!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Dd
      Love those pics. i can’t believe I am again tied up for a beautiful Fall weather. Please read the post to Sue for the details of today.
      Our weather is changing too. It is cooler today already. I wish I felt good enough to bake. Plus, I cant have any fiber right now- a low fiber diet. No good veggies, breads with nuts and seeds, etc.

Sue
      Forgot to say congrats on your team winning. I read the comment Gail made on the injuries. I hope non=body had a head injury.

Gailster
      Please read the post to Sue for all details of today.
      Yes it is legal in Mass. So many people have told me to try the CDB oil. I am afraid with all my allergies. The worst part of all of this is the arthritis meds being gone. You do not realize how much they do to help you to move.
      DWTS on tonight……woohaa!
      Love all you guys!
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Starting an October thread. See you all there.

Viewing 145 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email

Share this with a Smile
X Close
Watch QVC
top finds links QVC LIVE QVC PLUS QVC UK