Quacker Talk-October 20192019-10-01T09:51:59-04:00

Home Forums General Quacker Chatter Quacker Talk-October 2019

Viewing 141 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      Not much going on here. It’s warm for a couple of days and then will be cold by the weekend. This is the up and down part of the year. Not much sunshine lately. I think that bothers me the most. Even if it’s cold I just feel better if the sun is shining. I think that’s one of the main reasons that I don’t like winter because the days are so short.
      Adele, I knew last night that they wouldn’t kick anyone off since the football player left the show. It just wouldn’t make sense to do so as their schedule is set up for a certain amount of shows and a certain amount of eliminations-so I wasn’t surprised at all.
      You know I must be the one person in the world who has never seen Pretty Woman. I just never liked the premise as it seemed to make Cinderella out of a prostitute. And I am by no means a prude but something about that just seemed off to me. I guess I should really just watch it before forming opinions. I guess I thought it might send the wrong message to young girls.
      Will they ever let you go back on your arthritis meds? I know many of them can be hard on the digestive system. Hopefully, you can go back on eventually. I will have to google ischemic colitis.
      Just continue to take it easy. If people were saying you were very sick you most likely were. I can tell you are already getting antsy to do stuff. take it a day at a time right now.
      I have copied Bluff city Law but haven’t watched yet. Who knows when I will get to it. Heck I’m still catching up on last years Grey’s anatomy. lol I am so far behind. I always liked Jimmy Smits on L. A. Law from way back.
      did you notice that show with William Shatner, Henry Winkler, George Foreman And Terry Bradshaw wasn’t on this summer. That was kind of fun as they were so silly. I wonder if there will be more?
      Gail

Attachments:
    • Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hello everyone. So glad you are doing better, Adele. Please take it slowly; which I already sense is probably the hardest part of your recovery. lol I tend to overdo but have learned the hard way that I will definitely pay for it. I agree with Gail, if they told you that you were very sick then believe me you were very sick, and you know that hospitals send us home SO much more quickly than they used too; and we are really sicker when we go home now then in the past. Just a few friendly reminders that our poor little bodies just don’t “bounce back” as quickly as we used to; and just remember; it was the slow but steady turtle that ended up winning that race ha ha.
      Still hot here; up to 90 today. It does get cooler after the sun goes down; but this has not been our usual Fall. Neal called to let us know that they will not be coming this month; that he had to change his vacation so he will be able to finish some certification that he began when he went to Okla. Anyway; now their plan is for Thanksgiving. Jerry and I are planning to go visit them in NC in a couple of weeks. The baby asked me the other day; MiMi do you want to play with me? and of course I said SURE and he ran and got his game thing that has Super Mario I think, on it and we played. I held up my Kindle with our Best Fiends game we played here (cute little game) and we took turns. I would hold up mine; and he would take his little finger and reach toward the screen and I would take my finger like it was his finger, and make the move he told me to make. We had a great time. Of course, Jerry had to play too. Neal was just laughing; he said “only you MaMa could pull this off” We miss them terribly. But we definitely understand about his need to complete his certification.
      Joey is feeling some better. I am doing a big one pot meal of chicken and rice tonight. I just layer everything and then cover it all with a condensed cream of chicken and celery sauce that I thin a little. Also a veggie and rolls. Quick and easy and going to send good meal out for them. He had a hard time but wasnt running fever; so he worked. They put a quilt trip on him, and he went. He just won’t leave his other workers short. He wore a mask and gloves all weekend and covered just all their paperwork. So I want him to eat something warm and cozy. Gail, how is Brent feeling these days? I hope well. Our oldest son, Buddy, is in Texas right now. He travels so much. Does Brent like the Southwest? Bud says it is beautiful there.
      Sue, is your knee still doing good? I just can’t get over how quickly you recovered. You are such a good patient. I can just see you pushing through the pain to do your exercises so you will get better. That is so hard for most people. One of my “sayings” I always told patients was “movement means life” because it is SO hard to work through pain to do the exercises or even turn yourself when you have been hurt or had surgery. I bet you were so sore after your hospital stay, Adele. Those stretchers and beds are so uncomfortable.
      How is CHristine doing? Much better I hope. Colleen, if you happen to have her address and would private message or email me; I would love to send her a card and a note. Thanks in advance. Hope you are doing good too. I bet your home renovations are just beautiful.
      DD how are you and Snowball doing with all that cold weather I see on TV? It is so beautiful, but burrrr……I am just not a cold weather person; makes my bones hurt. And I am so afraid of falling down when it is cold and rainy and slippery. One of my biggest fears for both Jerry and me.
      Take care everyone. I have missed you all. How is the shower plans coming now Adele? Remember, slowly. Bye from bossy Barbara

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Well, we’ve had a couple sunny but chilly days out here. We ended Sept. with the coldest temps EVER!!! The temps are supposed to go up by the weekend but not nearly where we should be for this time of yr. The cold temps do affect the leaves tho. They get brighter I believe. Some areas have been in the 30s at night. We’re surviving tho. OH, MT. Hood got about a foot of snow over the weekend. The skiers are elated with that. But with the temps going up it won’t be around for long. Alot of people are glad to see the cooler temps, but I’m not quite ready for really cold weather yet.
      I’ve been tweaking my decor for fall & halloween, & guess who was right in there helping me? LOL I had some of my plastic pumpkins in one of my bowls & I heard this noise coming from in here. I came out & she was having a fit trying to get them out of it. Silly cat!!! I’ve taken a bunch of pics of her & hope to include them.
      Adele, ALWAYS eat something before taking your meds. My dad did that, take meds on an empty stomach & we ended up calling for an ambulance to take him to the ER. I was just a child when it happened, but after that they always made sure I ate before taking meds. And it stuck with me all these yrs later.
      Even if it says you can take it on an empty stomach, I don’t!! And I agree you need to take it easy. I;m not familiar with colitis but it sounds painful. Still sending prayers your way.
      Barbara, it sounds like you’re having quite a time with little one. Make as many memories as you can, they grow up so fast.
      I’m gonna have to go back to last month’s posts & see who & what I left out. No offense intended, but sometimes I have to take notes, I get so far behind. Sorry.
      Well, from here on out till mid Dec. we’ll be bombarded with Christmas on the Q.
      Well, I’m gonna close for now
      take care everyone.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

Barbara my knee is fine, I was back in to the doctor in May for my 2 year checkup. He said all is well it has healed in place & I have a good range of motion. I was determined to do what it took to get better. I think you mind is what stops you if you think you can’t do it you will fail. So go with a positive attitude & you will do much better. I know people, my Mother for one, that would not do the exercises & it did not end well. If you go through an operation why not give yourself the best chance possible.
      I think most of us suffer in winter with pain & are terrified of falling. Only one wants snow & cold.
      I got my flu shot today so I should be good there. I also stopped so he could explain a couple of things with my car that I had questions about. Then I stopped & picked up a burger & headed home. Now I am tired & don’t know why it isn’t like I was working hard. I hope I can sleep tonight.
      Your little guy is at a stage when they are so much fun. He will keep you young.
      We are having strange weather. The weatherman said we would have all 4 seasons in one week. Tomorrow is to be near ninety. Then Sat morning in the 30’s & 50’s for a high. May have to turn on the heat. Just can’t stand the cold.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      I forgot about that show with terry Bradshaw. It was really funny.
      I missed the end of DWTS. I like Bluff City Law a lot. We have so much recorded to see what we do and do not like. We have to catch up this weekend.
      I have a call into he doctor on the arthritis meds, as I am not sleeping, and the pain and soreness are getting real aggravating.
      you should watch Pretty Woman. It is one of our favorite movies. It is more about love and respect than prostitution, I think. It shows how she was not happy with her choice, and was always fighting to get out. She had standards- I know this sounds funny…. It is also how he falls in love with her, and protects her from abuse with his friend, and sales people. It is a nice movie.
      Love the October pics!!
      Today it is humid here, but it is supposed to change by tonight.
      Yesterday was a really bad day. I felt awful, and could barely move. Today is better. Thank God. This is going to be a slow recovery.

Hey Barbara!
      I bet you are making huge plans for Thanksgiving. It will be the best one ever. i can hardly wait to hear the menu. It will be so nice to have them all there.
      That is an adorable story about you and Colin playing games on line. That is one thing technology is good for.
      It is humid here too. But, changes are in the wind.
      I am so sore and stiff you have no idea. the arm is always in pain with no arthritis meds. I am hoping they will say I can get them back today, or soon. as this is awful.
      How has Jerry been? So glad you son is feeling better too.

Hey DD!
      I can’t believe that you are having snow, and I have the air on today. Wow.
      I have been good about eating something before taking these, as they are very strong antibiotics. They make you feel awful too. It will pass. It just gets old feeling awful and dealing with constant pain.
      I get such a kick out of the stories about your kitty!!

Hey Sue!
      Your weather is similar to us. It has been a very strange Fall.
      I agree. you have to do what PT tells you to do. My PT person gave me 2 more exercises to do, and I can only remember one of them….LOL My mind is kind of fuzzy form dealing with everything. She said she will bring the stick figure diagrams on her next visit, so I will be able to see them and not forgot….LOL
      I got the flu shot in the hospital, so I am all set for this season.
      You know, Sue, I think we are all realizing our energy levels are in the toilet….LOL I have had several discussions about how the golden years are not so golden. We all plan and wait to retire, and have things we want to do, and then health issues get in the way. I had wanted to go out to lunch with my granddaughters, go to all the wonderful Fall events, volunteer at the church or library to work with the children, etc. None of those have come to be. It is what it is, as I say. I just have to deal be glad I am alive, and move on. that is why it others me so much not to be bale to cook or bake, as that is the least I can do for my family, and that is beyond me right now too. Sorry for complaining.

Hope everyone has a good day!!
      Love you guys!
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      I’m glad that your computer issues are cleared up. I hate when we have computer troubles.
      You are not bossy at all-we all like to hear your input from a medical professional’s point of view. It’s very helpful.
      I am seeing that Memphis is still very hot.
      I think that’s so cute that you and Colin can play video games together. I’m happy that they are closer now where at least you can take a trip to see them. Your Thanksgiving will be great. I hope Joey can get some time off to celebrate with his brother.
      You know it just seems like Brent ended up in the southwest after going to school out there. I’m not sure whether he loves it or not. Where he lives is not one of the prettier parts of New Mexico. Nothing like Santa Fe or Taos.
      I sometimes feel since he and his last girl friend split up that he is a little homesick. We will be seeing him in awhile so I will be able to assess that better in person.
      Now did your oldest son retire from the military and then pursue a second career? I know a lot of people do that as they start young and then can retire after is it 25? years. So they still have a lot of working years left in their lives. Plus as we live longer a lot of people are retiring later.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I love the pictures of Snowball snoozing on the decorations. She can come help me now as I had Greg bring boxes up from the basement last night and i have stuff strewn all around. So Pretty soon I will have fall around in all it’s radiant glory. I am always surprised as I find things that I had forgotten that I had. it’s kind of fun!
      I take notes too about things that I want to reply to. I have this thing called a Boogie Board right next to my laptop. You can write notes on it and then erase them and reuse it over and over. I love it and use it all the time. Kind of the electronic version of those pads we used to have as kids where you wrote on them and then lifted the paper and the writing disappeared and you could write on it again.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Okay, I will try and watch Pretty Woman. I will wear my leather mini skirt and fishnets while doing so. lol
      I still have some misgivings though. lol
      How did it go trying to get the arthritis meds back? I know some can be hard on the digestive system so I’m not sure if they will let you at this early date. Here’s something weird. Greg lost his stent card. He put it in his wallet and he can’t find it anywhere in there. That is so weird. Now I’m curious to wear it will finally show up. I told him to get a new one at the doctor’s yesterday but naturally he forgot. I need to tie a string around his finger. lol
      Gotta go as the guy is coming over to do the fall maintenance on the furnace.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      I can take one arthritis pill (for now) a day. started yesterday. It has made a world of difference. Most of the shoulder pain is gone and it is manageable. I even started to get sciatica down one leg. I hope they do not make it worst, but I could not live in that much pain. I could barely walk. I hope this is all past me now.
      The antibiotics have been causing a lot of dizziness. Only one more day on them-thank God.
      i hope he finds his stint card. I bet it ended up in the laundry. LOL
      Hope your day is good.
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

well girls, I wrote you all a long rambling note yesterday; and I had JUST typed the last initial of my name and boom out goes our electricity-lost everything written-I think someone is trying to tell me to shorten my stories, but here in the South that is like saying don’t open your mouth! lol So glad you were able to start some arthritis med. Adele and that it helped with your pain. Mabey it will also help you to sleep better tonight. Hold on to something while walking through the house with this dizziness. Also; when you first raise up from bed; please sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes before you stand up. That gives your brain a chance to get plenty of oxygen there before you stand. I know you miss being able to cook right now; but you deserve to be pampered; and have all your favorite take outs on speed dial. ha ha
      Gail, I didn’t watch Pretty Woman for quite a while; since when it came out I was working so much that there was very little movie time for me. I didn’t even see it when it came out on DVD. But; sometimes I will walk in the family room and there will be Jerry watching it and I think he has it saved on his watch list. ha ha I won’t spoil the movie for you, but one of my favorite parts is seeing the fashion. You will know when you watch the movie which part I am talking about. She looks absolutely beautiful in this part; and I LOVE her hat. Thats all I will say for now but if any of you have not seen the movie St. Vincent with Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy I highly recommend it. Made me laugh and cry; my kind of movie.
      Gail, our son Buddy did retire after 25 years with the Air Force two years ago; and was actually hired by a firm that manages the jets and the training of the top gun pilots at a huge base right outside Las Vegas. So he is a civilian contractor for them and goes all over the world. Their daughter is a phlebotomist at the hospital where his wife manages the ER. So proud of them all. So hope they can all come for the holidays. I know your son does get homesick Gail. And I know you all miss him too. So glad you all will be able to visit him soon. Hope he finds a sweet wonderful girl to share life with real soon. He sounds like such a good man and I know you all are proud of him. How is little Miss Piper doing? She is so smart and so is Aliza, Colleen. I just love reading how cute they both are with their grand daddys. I can just see both of your husbands melting.
      Gail, I have to write down questions or things he needs to remember to tell the dr. when he goes. And you know what? He forgets to take it out of his pocket. lol I love the look on his face when I ask Jerry did he write down the answers?
      DD. Auto Kitty is laying on a Q plastic bag right now on the end of the bed. I think it must hold in his body heat since we have the A.C. on (it is 95 here) and he gets cold. He looks so comfy. Sounds really cold where you are.
      Did mean to tell you Gail that it is really important that your husband keep his stent card with him at all times. There are so many different kinds.
      Sue, did you happen to watch the Gourmet Food show that came on with Alberti and Antonella today? I broke down and ordered an expensive item, the Raselli steak soup which came in three large packages. I was thinking that on really cold days we could warm up a pkg. for us and then share with our son and DIL or have leftovers for us the next day. It just looked so good, and they are predicting a harsh winter for us. I liked how it could be used over rice or noodles or just as a soup with crusty bread. I just love soup and could eat it several times a week. But if it is not really good, for that price I will definitely let the Q know. So keep your fingers crossed for me. Is there any food item you all have ordered and really enjoy?
      Better close for now. Hope everyone is having a good day. Yuck, what they are showing now looks greasy…..Barb

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Missy Barbara
      So, I had a weird day. I was so dizzy and nauseous in the am, the shower was a real challenge. I had an OT eval, and nurse today. Because I am so weak, and off balance, they did an OT service. The OT lady said the person they are sending can help with my shoulder, and give me exercises to have it work better. I am thrilled about that!
      So, i pulled a muscle under my arm when I did my “counter exercises”…..LOL I am a total disaster lately.
      Gary also loves Pretty Woman. i do too, She is such a good actor. I love the scene in the dress store. Also love the hotel manager. I just like kind people. I hope Gail does watch it. She will be surprised.
      You have such talented sons, and they do very important jobs. They are in the sky taking care of all of us. Have they ever done a tour up our way?
      It got very chilly up here. Real Fall weather.
      I wish I had the energy to bake today….LOL
      Hope all is good down there!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Sorry about your dizziness and nausea, Adele. Both just make you feel so awful. Your body has b een through so much here lately. Gosh, I hope it passes soon and you are back to baking and laughing. Praying for you. How is your Mom? I know everyone has been worried about you. But right now everyone in the family will just have to step up a little and help the one who is always helping them all. I just love the hotel manager too. And how about the nice lady that he sent her to when the rude uppity ones treated her so badly? That made me feel good. Talk about feeling good; I have a story. I was coming out of the grocery store with a cart load; and the lady parked next to me asked me if I needed any help? I must have looked pretty disheveled but it was very hot that day. I thanked her; but said I was fine; so she loaded her few groceries; and then said to me, “well I think I will help you anyway” and she just started loading up the car for me. I was shocked. It was just an unexpected random act of kindness that frankly I haven’t seen in quite a while. She was about 10 or mabey 15 years younger than me. I said a prayer and thanked God for this lady. It was so sweet.
      It cooled down last night but has gotten back up to 89 today. we went in to town to pick up take out. Chinese for us tonight. After we got it we both said at the same time, “I think we had this already this week” ha ha We share ours and they overfill the little cartons. We had picked up all our paper supplies which included paper plates. We have gotten pretty lazy.
      Joey just left for work. He had to have the internet people out twice this week. His service just stopped and he and Lisa use theirs for the TV and their phones and all. We just have terrible internet here. And there is no competition here; so we have to get ours through our phone service. Probably not explaining it right, but I felt so sorry for him. He spent hours with the technicians and nothing helped. His cold is better thank goodness. Hope he has a good weekend. Lisa has gained quite a bit of weight. Joey is still underweight, but is eating better now. Still worried about him.
      Better close for now . Jerry is saying “lets eat” Hope everyone is doing good. DD you and Snowball stay warm. It sounded like everyone in the NE is having a beautiful day today. Barb

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Barbara I wish you could send me some warmth I would gladly send some cold. We started the day in the 30’s & only got into the 50’s. I had to turn on the heat this morning as I could not take it anymore. Makes my joints hurt. Tomorrow & Monday are to be low 60’s & rain so I think our warm weather is gone for good.
      Your Chinese sounds so good. I have not had any in ages. So many I used to go out to eat with did not like it. I may need to pick some up sometime I am in town. Only problem until I get home it will be cold.
      I am roasting a chicken tomorrow so that will put some heat in here & it will smell & taste good. I had tomato soup & grilled cheese tonight.
      You know I have often had people offer to help me too but usually just thank them & tell them I can do it. It is so hard for me to accept help as I was always the one helping others. My neighbor tells me I am too independent. I have just always had to do for myself.

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      No one has offered to help me yet but I’m sure that day will come. I have helped others with their groceries or returning their cart or something like that. I have to ask for help all the time getting things off the top grocery shelves-I just can no longer reach them. When i was younger I used to climb up on the bottom shelf and get stuff but I can’t do that anymore. Speaking of carts it just ticks me off when young able bodied people leave their carts in a parking space instead of returning them where they belong.
      I hope Joey got his internet working. Your family sure has a lot of people either in the medical field or in aviation. That’s kind of interesting.
      Well, Greg did find his missing stent card. It was in his wallet-he had just put it in a special “safe” place-where he couldn’t find it. lol I knew it had to be in there somewhere as I saw him put it in and things just don’t fall out of a wallet-especially one packed as full as his is-i just figured he didn’t look good enough the first time but I knew better than to suggest that. lol Do your husbands have the I can’t find stuff in the refrigerator or pantry syndrome-where they can’t find something if it is behind another thing? I always say not everything in the fridge can be in the front. lol
      I hear you are in for a lot of rain in the Memphis area. We will have a few days without rain at least and then by the weekend it will be cold-in the 40’s-like they say in Game of Thrones-winter is coming. Yuck! I’ve decided winter is for young people who don’t have aching bones and still like to get outside and do things in the snow. No wonder so many people winter in the south.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I’m hoping that you are starting to feel better day by day. You sure have a lot of sensitivities to medicines. I don’t think I have ever had a medicine that made me sick-other than hives from a flu shot. But I never got dizzy from an antibiotic-they make me feel better. That must be awful to feel dizzy from that. The only problems I ever had from an antibiotic was solved by taking a probiotic with it. Do you think the problems with meds and food allergies are associated? Anyway-I hope you are feeling better today.
      We did not see the kids on Friday as we had a concert to go to-so no Piper stories. although Greg was over there to pick up his power washer on Saturday and she ran up to him and gave him a big hug and asked him where Gigi was.
      We went to see Franc D’Ambrosio who is such a talent. I could see him every weekend. He is the longest running professional Phantom of the Opera ever. He has such an incredible voice. We saw him last year at Christmas for his Christmas in New York show. When he sang Oh Holy Night it literally brought me to tears. It was my mother’s favorite song and I wished she could have heard it. He played the son who was the opera singer in the third Godfather movie.
      Speaking of singing. Saturday night we went out for Pizza at a local place. So when we went in we saw a guy setting up stuff and Greg says it looks like there’s going to be entertainment and I said no I think he’s setting up for karaoke. Well, there’s nobody but us and one other couple in the place. So we are feeling bad for the restaurant owner that his place is so empty on a Saturday night. Now Greg will never sing karaoke if we are at a party or something and I can very seldom get him to sing solo-(except at home where i can’t get him to stop when I am trying to listen to something else) lol So one of the workers goes up and sings something and I said why don’t you go up and help the guy out since no one’s in the place. So he goes up to sing and of course people think it’s going to be this old guy singing average like most karaoke singers and it was so funny to see their surprise when they saw that he could really sing. He just sang two songs and then we left. We felt bad for the guy since the place was so empty. Hopefully more people came in later.
      I hope you are baking again soon.
      Hugs,
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

hi Barbara
      Thank you for the kind words. Well, the nurse freaked Gary out today. We were discussing my questions on how I felt. Blood pressure was good, but heart rate way up there. higher when I stood up,and a grand total of 135 when I walked form the kitchen to the bedroom. Oh yes, it made everyone freak. I think it is was the weight in the legs from the swelling. i am literally dragging them around with me- that’s how it feels. Very low energy, and I have been falling asleep in my chair….LOL I am sure my heart is ok. It is the fluid. ( Also, my legs get these weird patches of purple on them- mostly on the thighs, and the purple areas are cold.) Very strange. That’s my story and I am sticking to it, or the people here will be nuts. Going to doctor Wednesday.
      So,in light of everything, I called the Acorn stair people back. I am having only one of the lifts installed- the second one coming up from the landing. That is the one that is more difficult, and kills my shoulder. Tillie also has a hard time with the last step, so it will help her too. I was able to get them down to 3200, from the initial 3500 they quoted. Plus, I got their credit card, with free financing for 15 months, and 1.5% cash back rewards. I just hate to make another bill. I also get no interest n the purchase, as my doctor will write a prescription saying it is needed. A win, win, I guess. But, I could think of a lot more cool stuff I could buy for 3200!!
      We only have one cable provider in this town. Comcast/xfinity. The Town makes an agreement with one cable company only. I do like them, but they are pricey. We cant use Verizon as we are too far form their towers, and the signal is bad over here for tV form them.
      I made a mistake and told Tillie they are concerned about my heart. I was going to say the swelling. I wanted to smack myself for the error, as she does not need to worry so much.
      I hope your son is all better soon, and his wife too.
      We have been doing a lot of take out too, as I am tired, and just do not feel like it right now.
      I hope to make a nice soup at the end of the week. Tomorrow the rep from the window company will be here to install the replacement windows from Lowes. It should not be too bad, as it is only pop them in and out from the frames.
      We hit 80 today, but, it is going to get cold again tonight. Weird weather up here.
      Hope you are ok and enjoyed the Chinese food.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      Didn’t you get the heat of today? We got to 80. But, it will be over tonight. Back to the 60’s. I hope you got a nice day today!!
      I like your meal plan. I had bobby get American cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich too- great minds think alike!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Barbara
      Forgot to say….what a nice lady you ran into. I would have started to cry when I got back in my car. I am getting so emotional lately.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Oh yes Gail. They can find nothing if it is not right in front of their eyes. Nothing gets moved to look.
      LOL
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      That is so cute about Greg singing to help out the owner. That must have been awful for them. Maybe people will spread the word to say there is this old guy who sings real good- we need to eat there to see him again…..LOL
      Please read the post to Barbara for all the updated info on me and doctor visits. Yuck
      I also hope to get back into baking, as the cool weather is coming on fast. It was 80 today, and that is the last of this warm weather for a bit.
      I bet The Piper is missing both of you. Do you go there this week??
      Hope you are good, and Greg is behaving.
      I loved Phantom. that’s the last time I got Gary to go into Boston for a play.
      I am now thinking the dizzies are due to the heart rate. I am hoping not, as it has been a lot better without the antibiotics. I have so many allergies to things, and sensitivities to meds.
      Hope you have a good night!
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Adele, We have been cold nowhere near 80. I did see it was 77 in Philadelphia today but we were in the 50’s with rain. There was a cold front cutting across the state & we were on the cold side. No warmup in sight. I think we are done with warm until summer & that is a long way off. I put my fleece sheets on as I got cold in bed. I need to call to have Luke take out the AC. I don’t want to call when it is raining or the water comes out of the unit & goes everywhere.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I sent notices to some of you by messenger, but I wanted to let everyone know Jill Bauer will be on Hoda & Jenna tomorrow morning (part to the Today
      show. I thought it was today but it’s tomorrow. I got a post in my newsfeed on FB from her saying she was gonna be on the show. Sounds like she has something in the works.
      We had s lovely weekend but it’s over now. It’s clouding up & rain is in the forecast for the next couple days. It’s that roller coaster factor again, nice, then cold & rainy. The leaves are really starting to change with the colder temps. It’s been down into the 40s at night in some areas. Eastern Oregon gets the colder temps due to being higher elevation. That’s where the snow comes in. It’s in the higher elevations not down where I am.
      Adele, I hope you;re feeling better by now. I found another post on my FB page giving a list of foods good for arthritits. I’ll try to forward it if I can. Walnuts, brocolli are two of them. I know you can’t eat nuts right now. How is the colitis? Are you feeling any better? Sure hope so, it’s miserable to be sick.
      I got both my flu & pneumonia shots last week, & one of my arms was sore for a couple days. So I’m all set.
      Barb, I saw the Gourmet holiday show with that stew, & it sure looked delish!! A bit pricey for me, but I was drooling just watching it. Let me know how it is.
      Furball has been her silly self. She followed me into the bathroom the other night, & parked herself on the toilet seat. Later, I couldn’t find her in her usual spots. so I checked the bathroom & she was curled up on the seat, asleep. One morning she was sitting next to me waiting for me to wake up. As soon as she saw me wake up she let me know she wanted breakfast. One day she found a new place to roost. She climbed over my junk on the sofa, & found a new paper bag to crawl into. I took a bunch of photos. such a silly kitty.
      Well, I guess that’s all for now.
      Take care
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi All,
      I am back from Tennessee. We had a wonderful time. We went to a lot of different places. We went to Nashville, Pigeon forge and the Smokey Mountains. We did all of that in week. We went to see my daughter and her family it was a lot of traveling. It was a great time. Will write more later after I read all the posts. There sure are a lot of them.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      It sounds like you had a great trip. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Pigeon Forge is the town where they have that one hotel that is decorated for Christmas all year round. We never stayed there but i have been on their website. When we went many years back we rented a cabin. Do you mind driving in the mountains? I really don’t like it at all and the older I get the worse that I am. lol You will probably be tired for a couple of days . I know when we travel I am tired when we get back as I’m not used to all the activity.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Snowball looks like she is a lot of fun.
      I did see Jill on the Today show this morning. She did a very good job and if I hadn’t known she was a former QVC host I would have thought that she was some kind of lifestyle specialist. I still don’t feel I need someone else to tell me how to organize my fridge but she did have some good answers to the people’s questions. I did notice some lock and lock in one segment. I heard if you missed it you can go watch it on the Today show website.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I hope that you get a chance to report back on the doctor visit tomorrow and I hope it’s a good report. It seems as we age when one thing goes wrong something else goes wrong too. I’m surprised no one put you on lasex for the leg swelling. That’s what they did for me last year before I had the vein surgery. I know when the legs are swollen they feel so heavy and tired.
      We rarely go into Chicago to see a play anymore. I think the last one we saw was Jersey Boys. The trip and the parking and everything else just seem to be a big hassle anymore so we make do with entertainment closer to home now. It’s not as professional but it’s still fun to get out and about. I’m finishing up this week on the last of my fall/Halloween decorating. Lot’s of orange and gold and brown around the house now.
      Gail

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Adele, hope you are beginning to regain some of the strength you lost while in the hospital. I know its hard to believe; but just being hospitalized literally drains our body of real energy and stamina; and it does takes weeks sometimes months to regain what we have lost. So, please keep moving as best you can; and utilize anything you have to rest whenever you are feeling short of breath or tired. We all tend to try to bounce back too quickly from being sick or in the hospital; and I know we all try to hard to catch up on things. This is your time to take care of yourself. Please tell the doctor everything; including the cold places on your legs. I agree with Gail that carrying the extra fluid in your legs makes them heavy and so hard to walk. I am proud of you for deciding to order the stair lifts. Yes, that is expensive; but your health is so important; and like you said this will help you and Tillie. Prayers for your visit tomorrow.
      Colleen, was Tennessee a lot hotter than you expected it to be? We have been just burning up down here; and finally for the first time since last May were able to turn off our AC. Our utility bills have been so high; but Jerry gets so hot; and I did too. We had a really bad storm, Gail, most of Sunday night; with so much thunder and lightning. But the next day it was so much cooler. It has been very nice since then but we are due to be in the mid 80″s I think later this week. I bet you all had so much fun. I have heard that Dollywood is great. She has done so many wonderful things for children. Is it cooler at your home now? Had the trees began to change to their Fall colors in Tn.? Neal and family live right over the Tn. North Carolina border in Ashville and he said the trees are really getting pretty there now.
      DD. your pictures of Snowball are just so cute. She could be on TV commercials. Our kitty is a little overweight. He will not be quite if he wants his little Tempation treals. But he is such a good boy; and so much company for us. It sounds like Snowball has to be right with you all the time. Our kitty goes everyplace with us unless he is taking his afternoon nap. What breed of cat is Snowball? I know she is a special kitty.
      Is Jill Bauer doing home decorating or something like that? I felt like she would do something after leaving the Q, but kind of thought she might go to work with Valerie Parrhill. Good luck with her fixing our fridge. And yes, Gail, Jerry couldn’t find anything in ours unless it has a big sign on it and was on the front row. lol It just doesn’t seem to make any sense to him to actually move an item and look behind. Speaking of Jerry, one of his favorite movies is Jersey Boys, and fav. groups is Frankie Valli and Four Seasons. He has it recorded; and plays it all the time. It sounds like you all had a wonderful evening. I hope others came to the Pizza restaurant too. Most of our little “Mom and Pop” cafes here are just slowly but most assuredly fading away. It really makes me sad. I love to eat in places that might not look so great from the outside but you notice that their lot is full. That is a clear indication here that this is a great place to eat. Gregg is so talented. I used to sing in the choir. It seems that my voice has changed and I think some was due to damage to my vocal cords when I had the stroke. But I am so grateful for all that was done to help me that there is no way I could find fault for that. Sometimes when I am talking my voice just gets so “gravel sounding” that I have to drink water and just let it rest a while. I am sure Jerry enjoys that lol
      DD, the steak soup/stew has been my most expensive food item I have ever ordered. I was hungry when it was shown; and it looked so good. So wish me luck. It hasn’t been delivered yet; but I will try it on a cold day; and since I have until the end of Jan. I know there will be a cold, rainy day to try it.
      You know, girls, I felt a little strange when the lady insisted to help me; because honestly, it was running through my mind “Barbara, you must look awful” but she was being so nice. I have always been the person helping someone else. And to me; I don’t look like I need “help” but pushing that heavy cart across that lot did take a lot out of me. I am simply not ready to be “put out to pasture” so it left me with such conflicting feeling that I really don’t know HOW to feel. But I definitely understand what you all are saying. I have to pace myself; and I ache and creak. I miss being young; but I am so grateful to be here. Okay, off my box.
      Colin facetimed us; but it was storming so badly here that it kept cutting us off. He was so disappointed and us too. He did get to show us his ghost costume and get to say “Boo” to us. Take care everyone, and hope all is well. By the way Sue, we are having grilled cheese and tomato soup thanks to your great idea! Bye, Barb

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue
      Wow. I thought you had the warm day too. It got chilly and it is the start of the Noreaster up here this afternoon. My shoulder is so sore, I was afraid to go to the doctors, as how would I get back up the stairs without hurting the arm more? So, I rescheduled for Monday when all the rain has passed. I also asked if the doctor could order what blood tests he wanted, so the nurse can draw the blood, and we would be able to chat about the results on Monday. We shall see.
      I hope you get the air conditioner out before this awful rain and wind storm hits. I hope we do not get any more water in from the roof in the living room. this storm will be the test.
      I had to put the heat back on. Kills me those first few days!
      Tonight is the Chicago shows. Do you watch those?
      Hope you are having a nice cup of hot chocolate, and a cookie.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      I love the pics of your new funny kitty. She loves to snuggle inside things. I am so glad she keeps you company, and is so much fin to watch.
      I can’t eat any nuts, or good veggies right now, I am on a bland, weight gaining diet- more carbs and things not good for you if you have a weight problem. Absolutely no wheat breads, or breads with fiber. Very low fiber diet, and I hate it. Yesterday i had chicken fingers with Pillsbury roll, cranberry sauce, and a very small amount of peas…..the belly was scaring me this am, as it was making noises, and had some cramping. So, the peas was not a good choice. I miss my veggies, and beef. Oh well. This will pass.
      we are getting a Noreaster that will last for 3 days- starting today. Boy, do I feel it. Just have to keep warm and do my exercises to keep from getting too stiff. The rest of me feels better, accept for the heart rate which is freaking the nurse and PT person out. It is around 102 resting, and when I walked to the bathroom, I clocked in at 135. I explained that when I move the pain starts in the back, and then I get sweaty and winded as it increases. I will be tested for Lupus, and other vascular disorders, due to the swelling and heart rate. More appointments.
      I finally gave in and called the Acorn stair people again. We will put in one lift on the second set of stars from the landing, as those hurt my shoulder more.
      Hope you are doing ok!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen!
      Glad you had a great time, and that you are safely back home.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      They did have me on lasix every other day, when he swelling started prior to the belly issue. The legs were still a little swollen, but not like they are now. So, now I am on it every day.I changed the doctor apt., as I could not imagine getting back up the stairs with this shoulder today. The storm ahs started, and I am very sore and achy. I moved it to Monday.
      Please read the other posts to the girls as they have more info in them on how I am doing. I do feel a little improvement, and that is good. It will just take time. After the nurse saw the heart rate, I got calls back from both doctors. I am not as concerned, as when I stand to clean veggies, the ppain starts in the back, and I begin to sweat and huff and puff, so I am used to the heart beating fast when I am in a lot of pain.
      I’m glad you got your decorating finished. Take a pic and let Greg load it for you, so we can all see what you did. It really stinks when we can’t go to the events we used to love. But, the local lays are always good too, and have less traffic.
      How have your legs been??? You have not mentioned them in a while, so I am hoping they are good.
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey BArbara
      Please read the posts to the girls on the up-dated health dilemmas. I had to re-schedule the dr. apt. as I feel too achy and stiff to chance going up and down the stairs today. I did ask if he would put in an order for blood work, so we would have the answers when I go on Monday.
      OMG, I cant wait to see the pics of the adorable little ghost!!
      How is your son and DIL doing? Are they still sick- I hope not.
      Thanks for the kind words. It is so discouraging when it takes so long to feel better. I was doing 5 sit ups in bed at night, and I can barley get my shoulders off the bed. It will take weeks until I can do them again. With the leg lifts I did, I can only get the left leg up, and it is an amusing sight to see. I am always shocked at how little it takes for us to lose physical ability, and how it is to gain it back. Thanks for listening. I feel like such a complainer lately. I need a funny story to make you all laugh!!
      Have a good night.
      Adele

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Adele, I’m sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope you’re feeling better soon. Hallie has been having health issues too. (She’s my “niece”). She got these exercise machines, & when she uses them she passes out. The first time she fell off & hurt herself. She did it again Monday, & has been in the hospital since. they haven’t figured out what’s causing her to pass out yet. she thinks it’s neuorlogical, I think it’s cardio vascular. Lack of blood flow to the brain, causing her to black out. But what do I know, I’ve only had heart issues for yrs. I’ve never passed out though.
      We’re having some lovely sunny days but chilly. There’s been a frost advisory for the next night or so. Some areas may see temps into the 20s!!!

OK ladies, please don’t feel uncomfortable when someone offers a helping hand. It’s probably their way of offering an act of kindness. I don’t know about elsewhere, but out here the TV stations are promoting doing acts of kindness, helping others, random acts of kindness, in other words. Clerks are doing it at our grocery stores, just about everywhere. I think with all the negativity in the world today, it needs to be spread everywhere. Just be kind to one another.
      So don’t feel embarrassed when someone offers a helping hand. Just go with it.

I think Jill is a spokesperson for reorganizing your home. I’m not sure if there’s a product involved yet. I did notice the L&L in the fridges.

Attachments:
    • Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi again,
      I don’t know what happened, but I wasn’t able to sign off. It froze up or something.
      Have a good evening.
      dd

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Everybody,
      Well there is so much going on here. I do not know where to start.
      Barbara, That i so cute that you are playing games with your grandson over the phone. He sounds like such a little doll. The weather in Tennessee was really hot while we were there. We had a really good time though. We we in Nashville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and the Smoky mountains and ended the trip in Cookville. Have you ever stayed at the Inn the Christmas Place in Pigeon Forge/ That place is really nice. We stayed there for a couple of nights and had so much fun. Are Joey and Lisa still staying with or did they move back to their house? It was nice that you were there for them.
      Adele, It seems like you get one thing taken car of and other things start to go wrong.I am sorry to hear that your shoulder is giving you so much trouble. I hope that you can go back on your meds soon and start to feel better. Well we got some good news well sort of. We are going to be great grandparents. She is due around the same time as your granddaughter is due and it is a boy. That would really be strange if the babies were born on the same day. My gran d was a little disappointed she wanted a girl but that is how life goes. I have already started buying gifts for the baby. I am sorry to hear that your legs are swollen water weight is not easy to deal with. It is worth it to get the stair lift you need it and so does Tillie. You will not have to worry about Tillie walking up those steps and you will be able to get to her easier with that. I do not blame you for not wanting to spend the money but it is necessary.
      Gail, That was really nice that Greg sang at the restaurant. They will want you two to come back and Greg to sing again. He might become a regular there. lol I do not think Greg will do that. It is a shame since he has such a good voice and does not like to sing anywhere by himself except at home.
      It has been cold and rainy here. Maybe just cool it seems cold since it was so hot in Tennessee. It felt like winter here. W stayed at the Christmas hotel in Pigeon Forge. It is beautiful and we loved staying there. They have a breakfast buffet there that is really good and Santa comes there to visit. He also sings and sings the songs that the kids want to hear. He did not leave out one request by the kids. He was a really good Santa. All the kids really loved him. The rooms were beautiful. They even have Christmas decorations in the bathrooms. We could not believe it. I would never go back to Nashville the traffic was so bad. We wanted to find the Pickers store but could not find it. They have so much road construction going on. They said that they have changed the name of some of the roads. We drove up to the highest mountain and I was not having fun. I told Ron that if he wanted to turn around and go back down I would not object. I did not get close to the edge of anything while up there. Ron walked up to the tower and took pictures I chose to stay at the store and look around. The observation tower was not a place that interested me.
      DD, Your cat is just too cute. I just love all the pictures that you have posted of Snowball. He must bring so much joy into your life. The weather there has really cooled down. It seems like it has cooled down so quickly. I will be praying for your niece. I hope that she gets better.
      Well that is about all from here. The post is turning into a book. I hope everyone has a good night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I hope you get a laugh out of this. Ron and I went out to dinner and we went to Red Lobster. I have seen so many people get a whole lobster that I decided to get one. Well I did not realize that they leave the head on. So when he brought it to the table it had it’s eyes staring at me. I told the waiter that I could not not eat something that was watching me. He asked me if it was really creeping me out so he took it back to the kitchen and they chopped off the head. Well it made me and Ron laugh and think of the movie the Christmas Story. Only theirs was a duck or goose with the head on it.
      Well I hope that made you smile.
      Have a great night
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      Thank you for the kind words. I am getting a little better each day. The fluid has been going- lost 8 lbs of fluid so far, and that makes it easier all the way around. I am just shocked at how much strength I lost, even in lifting my legs into the tub, when I sit on my tub seat. Very discouraging. But, people deal with way worst than this. I just need to be back to normal for the shower, that is a few weeks away.
      Weather up here is gross. Very dark and lots of wind. and drizzle.
      Love your pretty pics. We need all the pretty we can get. We also need all the kind gestures to make us feel this world is ok. We have a good news event at the end of each nightly news, and it usually makes me cry….LOL
      Hope you are ok, and your niece finds out what is wrong. Prayers sent!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG, Colleen….I am laughing my butt off!!
      However, a lobster has a pretty ugly set of eyes……lol
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG again, Colleen!!
      We are having great-grand babies together, and they are both boys. imagine if they are both born on my birthday, or yours??? (I think you are January too) This is great news. congrats to everyone!! So, you made me laugh, and have a lot of joy today, with all your news. Go Colleen!!
      What did you get for baby?? All the stores are having such great sales. You can get an outfit from Macy’s for as little as 8.00.
      Are you all planning a shower for your granddaughter?
      That hotel sounds fabulous. Kids love Christmas, no matter how hot it is. What a great Santa they had to sing for the kids. I wonder if Barbara ever went there with her kids.
      I am recovering very slowly. Too slow for me. It gets discouraging to be so weak. At least I get to see the leaves change outside the window….
      I was able to bake Heather’s favorite bar cookie yesterday. You would have thought I did an entire Thanksgiving dinner….LOL I had so much trouble cutting the roll of chocolate chip cookies for the base and top. It was ridiculous. I have to laugh at my new found lack of abilities….LOL
      Hope your weather is better. Ours is gross. the Nor’easter is stalled and it is all dark and gloomy, with lots of winds.
      Hope you are ok, and getting excited about the baby!!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

First so happy and excited for more baby news Colleen! I know you all are just over the moon with excitement, and now with Adele and her little boy on the way too; there will be so much happy baby news for you all to keep us up on. Congrats to all of you. It sounds like you had such a wonderful time on your trip. I only found out about the Christmas hotel just a few years ago; after our sons were grown. But it sounds wonderful. You are so right Adele; little ones don’t care what the outside temp is they love Santa and Christmas decorations and songs. Has Gregg ever done a Christmas CD Gail? I bet he really sings the carols so beautifully. I am so like you on not likeing heights Colleen. I can’t even go to the wall or protective area to look over. It makes me dizzy. We did visit Chatanooga once when the boys were 8-16 or so and they just begged me to ride this closed in thing up a mountain with them. I was petrified. I made it; but Jerry had to tell me to shut my eyes because I was starting to have a panic attack. So; me and heights just don’t get along.
      Glad you are doing better, Adele. Just continue to take it easy. Yes, your strength has changed; and when you are doing anything physical it will take some of your strength. If it helps; try to take some deep breaths before you begin to work on something to give yourself a little extra oxygen and stop ever so often after you begin and take a few deep breaths again. Mabey that would help. I made lasagna the other day; and was just exhausted by the time I put it in the oven. I was really too tired to eat; but Jerry and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. In fact; we have leftovers that I stored in my lock and lock and froze. I sent a lot home with Joey and Lisa but still had plenty for us. I baked us each an apple for later; so our house smells so good right now. It is cold here today. It rained all night and the temp is in the 40’s and should be cool all weekend. Hope you got you AC all taken care of Sue. You too Adele. Sue, did you by any chance see the Martha Stewart doggie coats and sweaters? I ordered one for Ruby and scrappy. They have short hair and get cold and shiver. They were on special for lunch one day and they are so nice; I was so happy to see how well they are made.
      DD prayers for your neice. I hope it is nothing serious. I love your pictures. The witch flying in front of the moon reminds me of pictures I saw as a child. Was it a quilt? Your kitty is so cute. I know she is such wonderful company for you. She was one lucky kitty to get you for a Mommie. All us Quackers are good to our fur babies.
      Love your lobster story Colleen. I always felt sorry for the ones waiting to be picked out of the tank to go in the pot. I really love Red Lobster. I have to try hard not to eat so many of the biscuits. Deliscious. Did you like the taste? I haven’t ever had any. I do love scallops and shrimp. Better go for now and start to heat our supper up. Hope you all have a good weekend. Barb

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      You stand a better chance of the babies being born on your birthday then mine. My birthday is in July so they would have to carry these babies for a long time. lol It would be funny if both boys were born on your birthday. I cannot wait to see this little guy. She is going to name him Greyson Oliver. I am not sure if I spelled the Greyson right or not. It is an unusual name and we will see if she changes her mind. I bought a stuffed animal and a story book for Brook to read to him. A couple of one piece so far. I am not sure what I will get him next. My oldest daughter and I may go together and get a crib for him. My daughter is going to have a baby shower for her but not sure when.
      That sounds promising. You baked cookies for your daughter so that is a sign that you are starting to do better. It will take awhile for you to get all your strength back just do not rush it. You went thru a lot and were really sick. You need to rest and give yourself time to feel better. You may have to let the kids do a lot of the cooking for you and you sit back and supervise. It is nice you have been taking care of your family for a long time.
      It is cold here. We have the heaters on but not the furnace yet. We may have to light it tomorrow if it stays this cold.
      I did not like the whole lobster as much as I like lobster tails. The one that I had was a little chewy. The tails are not as chewy as the whole lobster was. I will never order a whole one again. Lesson learned. I am glad that you got a laugh out of it we did to. Lobster eyes are not pleasant to look at when you are thinking of eating it.
      Have a great night
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      We are really excited about the baby. It would be fun if the babies are born on the same day. They will never be able to meet but it will be fun if they ever did.
      You are a lot braver then I am. I would have never got in that closed in thing and went anywhere.I would have stayed on the ground and just watched them..I cannot not go to the edge either. I do not like to watch the kids up on high places afraid they will fall. I think that my daughters get aggravated with me.
      I really like Red Lobster also. I usually get lobster tails there and do not get the whole one. I should have stuck with that and not get the whole one. I never thought about the eyes being on there. That was creepy and would never want to get another one like that. I can do without seeing the eyes that does not make you want to eat it.
      Well that is about all from here have a great night.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      Any news on your niece? Praying for some positive results for her.
      Adele

Hey Barbara!
      Thank you for reminding me to take the deep breaths. Some times we forget the most simplest of things that make life easier. I love my OT guy. He gave me so many arm exercises, and they are way better than the ones I was doing on my own. I am always ore after he leaves- the good kind of sore that means we used our muscles to get stringer.
      My heart rate is still going high when I get up to exercise, or move. But, it isn’t as high as it was a few days ago, and that is good too. Still a little woozy when I walk That is the worst, as you have to walk everywhere- even to the bathroom….LOL
      Marissa’s dress arrived for the shower. She sent me a pic of her in it, and boy, does she look pregnant on that one…..lol Isn’t it funny that Colleen and I are having a great-grandson at the same time, and they are both boys? How cute is that?
      Are you ok? Just wondering why you are getting so exhausted cooking too. Hoping all is ok with you.
      How is Jerry’s back?
      Hope you have a good weekend.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      The only thing really edible is the tail and the claws on a lobster. You have to be very careful about the poison sack- not to eat any of it. Did you know about that? It is this green substance in the middle of the body- if I remember it correctly.
      How does Brook feel? Marissa has been very tired and cranky. the working full time, and on her feet the entire time, has not been easy. She wants to work right up to the moment she gives birth, as she wants her maternity leave to be for when the baby is born.
      It is fun shopping for baby things. They are so cute. Everyone is having great sales on clothes right now. I love a good bargain.
      Hope you are not too cold out there. We have had to put the heat on in the am, just once, to get the chill out of the house. So, that is not too bad.
      Have a good weekend.
      Hope the Gailster is ok, as we have not heard from her in a few days.
      Adele

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I guess they have to take that out or something because I ate all of it and I am still alive. Well at least I think that I am. lol I think that they have to make sure that is not on there or in there or they would get sued. There is not that much meat in the body any way.
      Brook is about the same way. She really needs to cut down on her hours at work. She goes to school during the day and works at night. We have been trying to tell her that she needs to cut back at work. She is really stubborn though and will not listen. I just hope that it does not hurt in the end. She is so tired all the time.
      They are coming out with a lot of cute clothes for boys now. They have not always had them for baby boy’s. It is easier to find cute toys for them though. I always liked the race car tracks and they are getting cuter every year. It would be fun if it was a girl though. Grands are just great.
      It has been cold here. We have our heaters on right now but din not turn on the furnace yet. We will wait until you can see our breathe. It got down into the upper 30’s last night and Ron would not light the furnace. We just had space heaters on.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Hallie’s released from the hospital, but no firm diagnosis. They now think it’s vertigo or inner ear issues. But from all she told me I was sure it was cardiovascular. they have her wearing a heart monitor for a month. They think it’s vertigo or inner ear issues, so she has to make an appointment with an audiologist.
      I can’t imagine eating anything that has eyes looking at ya. when my dad went fishing, he always cut the head off when cleaning the fish.
      Congrats on the new baby on the way. I’m sure you’re gonna have a ball getting ready for the arrival.
      We started with sunny morning but clouds have arrived on schedule. No big storms on the horizon, just showers. I was summoned this morning at sunrise so I got the phone out & took some pics of it, then went back to bed. lol
      Diane came & picked me up & ran some errands. We went to a Goodwill, & I found the cutest Halloween basket. It’s made from braided black, orange, & halloween print cloth. I’ll take a pic of it & send it next time. Diane found the cutest pillow. It’s purple with a black cat on it. She also found a Christmas stocking with a kitty wearing antlers on it. I’ll take pics of them too.
      well, I guess that’s all for now.
      Have a great weekend.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      That is good news that your niece is out of the hospital. It is really getting bad now days. They release people before they know what is wrong with you. I do not understand what is going on now days.
      I just love Snowball. He is so cute and is always doing such cute things. I bet Jewel is above smiling down at you and Snowball. He always is doing such funny things.
      I know that I could not eat that lobster with the head on. I never imagined that they would leave the head on. Who eats food that is looking at them. So if anyone offers to get you a whole lobster make sure that they cut the head off before bringing it to the table.
      Goodwill does have some really cute things. You just have to know the right time to get there. Well at least at our store you do. They have some really cute Christmas items at our store. You can find all types of things for Halloween costumes.
      Our weather has turned really cold. We went from the 90’s to the 30’s. I still have to close the pool. My daughter was supposed to close it while we were on vacation but she did not do it. Kids you just cannot count on them no matter how old they are.lol
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Everybody,
      I saw Lisa Robertson on tv the other day. She is doing a commercial for some type of body soap. I was really surprised to see her. I have not seen or heard anything about her for a long time.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG Colleen!
      That is too funny. I hope it did not make you sick. It is a green color. Maybe they removed it….LOL
      Marissa is the same way. She is working full time, and exhausted all the time. She wants to work until she delivers the baby, so she has more maternity leave. I don’t see that working out too well, as she will be pretty big for the holiday rush and I think that will be hard on her. Praying for both of them!!
      We have had the windows open at night, as it got warmer again up here. In the high 60’s in the daytime, and low 50’s at night.
      I got a cute sweater for baby that has the ears on top of the head- I love those!
      Hope all is good in your town!
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      You two found some cute things at Goodwill. Dying to see the pics!
      Love your Fall pics too- always so uplifting, and we all need that!
      So glad Hallie was released from the hospital. I am praying she will get a diagnosis, that is not bad, and easily cured.
      Hope your weather stays good, and all continues to be well in your area.
      Adele
      PS….I am a little bit better today. No nausea or dizziness. I decided not to take the fluid pill today, and I think that is the culprit. I have to take it tomorrow. I also hurt my arm a lit with the exercises, but it is getting better, so all good.
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      Were you supposed to go to the doctor today? I hope that you are feeling better. When will the shower be again?
      I was baby sitting again Friday and today. I guess Adam changed his work starting time to an earlier time and I don’t think the company made him do it he just changed on his own. so needless to say I am a bit ticked at him as he needed to keep the later start time so he could be there when the kids had the day off school and believe me they have a lot of them. So i think it was kind of irresponsible of him to change-I am not happy about it.
      DD, I’m glad your niece is feeling better. I hope they get to the root of the problem soon.
      Barbara, We went to Dolly wood when the kids were young. It was a fun place.
      I have not seen the Jersey Boys movie but have seen the play. It’s one of my favorites too.
      Greg has never made a Christmas CD although they did think about it once. However, they did make a CD with all the church music that they used to sing when they were boy sopranos.
      Colleen, I am so glad that you got to go to that Christmas Place. I have been so intrigued by it ever since I saw it on line. I’m glad someone I know got to go there.
      Congrats on the great grand baby. I like the name she picked out. I’m surprised she told you as many people won’t until after the baby is born. You will have fun buying little baby stuff. I can’t believe how quickly those times go by and then you turn around and the kids are teenagers.
      That is funny about the lobster. Once I got served something with eyes-Maybe a prawn or a crayfish-I just know I didn’t like that part.
      I have never been to Nashville for some reason. Greg used to go on business a long time ago. He said there was good food and good music. Too bad you couldn’t find the pickers store. I don’t care for the mountains either. That’s why they call us Illinoisians flatlanders. lol
      Gail

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I did not get sick so they must have removed it. All I know is that I will never have another one. That was terrible when they brought it out and his eyes were still on there.
      I do not understand these girls and wanting to work until it is time ti deliver. Where does Marissa work? Brook is still working at Kentucky fried Chicken. I cannot see her helping people when she is really big. She is afraid that if she does not work they will not give her the hours that she wants to work. If they are like that she needs to find a different job.
      How are you doing with your Christmas shopping? I am almost done and am so glad.I think that I bought too much for Aliza. It is so much easier to buy for the little ones then it is the older kids.
      It has been cold here so we have not opened the windows. We have had the heaters on the other day that is how cold it has been here. I hope that we will have a couple of days that we can open the windows here. We need to air the house out before we close it up for the winter.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      If you ever get the chance to go to The Christmas place Inn you should go. It is so nice and they do so many different things. They do crafts, they cookies and coffee every night, and they have Santa. That is the best part he sings and just really has a good time with the kids.
      I will never go back to Nashville. It was such a mess. I really hated all the traffic and congestion was terrible. If they ever get the construction done it might be a better place to visit. You can’t hardly get around.
      She is just so excited about the baby she cannot keep anything a secret. I do not know where she got the name from. It will be interesting to see what nickname the kids will give him. I worry about that.
      It is a shame that Adam did not give you some type of heads up that he was changing his hours. Give you a chance to change your schedule so you could take care of the kids. Men just do not think.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      If I ever do get a chance to visit the Christmas Hotel I definitely will. I’m just so thrilled that you got to go.
      You know so many kids have unusual names now a days I don’t see that it will be a problem. I like the name a lot-maybe no one will ever shorten it or maybe they will call him Grey for short. No one ever shortens Kendall, Lachlan or Piper’s names although sometimes we do called them Kendie, Buddy and Pip but that’s just in the family.
      I think the girls want to work right up until their due dates for a couple of reasons-to make as much money as possible to make up for when they are off of work because as we all know kids are expensive-and also to have more time to stay home with the baby after he is born. I wouldn’t worry too much as long as the doctor says it is okay to do. We forget these are young healthy women who have a lot of energy to begin with and they can probably do anything that they make up their minds to do.
      So many cities have so much construction going on that it is hard to get around even with GPS. Did you stay in Nashville at all?
      The city that I thought had awful traffic and awful expressways was Atlanta. The number of lanes to drive in would change constantly so that you were moving over all the time. It would be so nice if we could just teletransport just like they did on Star Trek. lol
      You are lucky to have most of your shopping done. I haven’t even given it a thought yet. Although as time has gone on I do have less to buy for-I mostly concentrate on the kids.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Colleen,
      I forgot to say that I have not seen the commercial with Lisa R and the soap. However, I hear that she has a website or her Facebook and she sells jewelry and some other things off of that. I hear the quality of the stuff is not that good and the price is high. You can find all sorts of things out by reading the QVC community boards.
      Gail

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      You never know if kids will shorten names or not. My oldest daughter had some kids try and call her Danny but she would not answer to it. So they finally gave up and did not call her that any more. My other two had nicknames but not everyone called them by that. Mandy’s name is Amanda and Melissa was called Lisa. They did not seem to mind though.
      We do forget how much energy that we had when we were younger. I guess being grandma’s we forget and worry. I know that Brook’s doctor did not tell her to quit work so she must be fine. I guess that I will always about her she is so young and that worries me.
      I have decided to buy for who I want to buy fr this year. I know that it sounds terrible but that is how it is. I will always buy for the kids but not all the adults. If they are not treating my daughters right then they do not get a gift from me. I am so tired of son-in-laws. They do not always treat our daughters right. I am getting so tired of my daughters calling me upset about their husbands. I guess that I am just crabby.
      I did some of my shopping while on vacation and somethings I bought from QVC. I even got things for my sil’s so do not have to worry about them. I bought for my sister so she is done also. I will be glad to be finished.
      I did not know that Lisa was selling anything else. I hope she is making enough to survive. She had such a nice house and that would be expensive to maintain. I really did like her as one of the hosts and hated to see her leave the show.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a great night
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I also read that Lisa sold her home and bought some kind of place that used to be a horse property with lots of acreage. I always enjoyed her too and thought she had a good sense of humor. I’m not very fussy and like most of the hosts except Kirsten Lindquist gets on my last nerve because i think she thinks she’s so cute. I think the day I watched a swimming suit show and she changed into every suit on the show was the icing on the cake for me. That was so unnecessary as there are models on the show so i just thought she was doing it to show off her toned body. (maybe I’m just jealous. lol)
      This last newer crop of hosts is undistinguishable for me as I don’t watch the live shows much anymore. I just copy things that might interest me and fast forward through them or just look at what was shown on line.
      We used to call Jenny-Jennifer but she was the one who shortened it to Jenny-she didn’t like being called Jennifer. When Brent was little he said Lolly instead of Jenny so we called her that for awhile but when she got bigger she didn’t like it so it didn’t stick. I thought it was cute and would have called her that. I really wanted to name her Cydnee but Greg didn’t like that name so we ended up with Jennifer just like a million other girls in the early 80’s. Jenny likes that name too-so I just tell her to blame her Dad that she doesn’t have it. lol Brent’s name was easy. I always wanted to use that name and Greg had a friend in college that had a beautiful voice that had that name so he liked that name. So that was an easy one.
      I like to find gifts in little shops when we go on vacation to give for Christmas. That way it’s something that is kind of unusual that you won’t find just anywhere.
      We have had the heat on ever since the guy came over to service the furnaces last week. It gets pretty cold at night now. We had frost last weekend. It doesn’t run during the day when the sun is out but it will run during the night.
      Sorry about the Cardinals. The Cubs never even got into the play offs this year. And the Bears aren’t doing that great either. It seems like the Cardinals have a pretty consistently good team every year so that’s a good thing.
      I’m sorry if your daughters are having husband or significant other problems. I hope that they are nothing serious and are just little marital spats which we all have.

Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

My AC is out & my heat is on. Rain today then much colder & windy tomorrow. Next week possibility of that nasty 4 letter word.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      Well, I had to cancel the doctor again. The arm was real bad, after I was doing all the exercises. So, I asked for the OT person to come yesterday, so he can modify the exercises, so I will not kill myself. He eliminated some,and added a few on the bed, so the shoulder is supported while doing them.
      I am getting a little bit better. I also went to the every other day schedule for the fluid ill, as that was sucking all my energy.
      We are getting a big storm tonight, so I think everyone is sore.
      The Acorn stair lift was installed today. I just did the one coming up the second set of stairs, as that is the one that kills my shoulder, and Tillie has a hard time with too. The installer had me and Tillie try going up and down, to make sure we knew what to do. He was very nice. Ill take a pic of it, so you can see the before and after. It will make life a lot easier on all of us.
      That is too bad about the kids’ Dad changing his schedule. what happens when the weather gets worst in the winter? Will Greg be able to go with you? That poses a new issue with us not so easily mobile grandparents.
      Too bad Greg and the boys did not do a holiday album. Maybe they will some day.
      the shower is the first weekend in November. Friday I go for the first of the 3 gel shots in the knee. At least now, I do not have to worry about getting back up the stairs.
      How is your weather????
      I hope we do not lose any trees overnight from the high winds. Hope you guys are ok too!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen
      Marissa is at Yankee Candle. That is a lot of standing, and moving heavy boxes and such. I hope she will be bale to do what she wants to do. With her it is about the maternity leave- she wants the time to be with her and the baby, and not waste it home alone. I still think that may not be totally possible. I hope both of them have good pregnancies, and deliveries, and that the babies will be healthy. We will be praying on both sides of this country for these two cuties.
      It was only 58 in this house this morning, so we had to put the heat on to take the chill out. the arthritis does not like it that cold. Actually, today the heating people came to do the annual burner clean- out. he was here while the Acorn man was installing the chair lift. The lift was done in less than 2 hours. See my post to Gail for the details….LOL
      They always serve the lobster with the whole body looking at you….a very ugly crustacion that tastes so dam good. I remember from when I ate them and then got sick later, as I am allergic to them. I used to love lobster. I ordered it baked, stuffed, with the shell off, served in a baking dish- very yummy!!
      I hope you get to open your windows. I hope we do nto get any leaks tonight, as this will really tell if the roof is finally fixed.
      Have a good night!
      Adele
      PS….i did some Christmas shopping for Aizen in CIJ. I will need to get him something else. The rest of them will get gift certificates this year, as we are way too busy with the shower, and birth of the new Itty Bitty….LOL

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Colleen and Gail…. what is the name for the new baby???
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Suzie Q!!
      Are you getting the storm we are having tonight too? They are very worried about the leaves still on the trees, which can make them tumble over. Then comes the power outages too. I hope we do not lose any more trees.
      We were lucky that we got our detaining system cleaned out before it gets real cold. We have had it on about 3 times in the early morning to get the chill out of the house.
      I hope you do not lose electricity tonight, if you get this storm too. Stay safe and warm!!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Surely hope your shoulder is doing better today Adele. I am glad your dizziness is better. Taking a fluid pill will sometimes cause dizziness due to the fact that you are draining your body of so many of the necessary electrolytes (potassium, sodium, etc.) and it can make you feel all out of sorts. But; if you are retaining too much fluid; then you have to get it off; excess fluid can cause you to have breathing problems; feel exhausted; not to mention the heaviness in your legs and the extra energy it takes to do the simplist tasks. Have your legs swelling gone down any since you have been taking the fluid pill? Hope so. I will really be glad when you are able to see your doctor and address all your concerns with him. So glad too that your stair lift chair has been installed. This is really going to help you and Tillie. Is she afraid of it or did she use it? I am not good with stairs either. Sometimes I just feel like we are falling apart ha ha. Hope your knee shot helps too.
      Colleen, one of our nephews is named Greyson. He is 15 now. I had not heard that name before; and they call him by his full name. I know that the young people chose names for the same reason that we did when we were thinking of names; because we liked them. I like nicknames. Our oldest son; whose given name is William Daniel; has always been called Buddy by all of us. The first time my Dad saw him he said “you will be my best buddy” and it just stuck. No one; outside the family; and now his wife, call him that. She called him Billy for years; but for some reason now calls him Buddy too.They flew to Chattanooga this past weekend and went to a UT Vols game then went to Ashville to visit Neal and family for a few days and flew back to Vegas Monday. They all went to Gatlingburg Sunday and had what looked like a wonderful visit together. I am so happy they could all be together.
      Gail, I know how you feel about not getting good notice from your SIL. I get so aggrivated some times and usually if I say something it just seems to backfire on me. I think I have told you all when I was so upset about being left out of everything when Neal married. Some hurts just are really hard to heal; and I find that so often I just have to not think about some things; for me. But we do need the courtesy of being consulted on changes because we also have a life; and we need to adjust our day as well. I will get off my soapbox now.
      Sue, we have your cold now. The wind was really blowing today after we had a stormy night. THe temps have really dropped and I am sitting here in a quacker tee and a Jeanne Jacket ha ha. It is cold here in the house; and Jerry gets hot if we turn on the heat; and honestly; I don’t want to start the high cost of heating for as long as I can put it off. ha ha. I would love one month of a slightly lower utility bill.
      DD your kitty is such a playful little thing. She has quite a personality. Glad your neice is better. I think it is just shameful that they are sending people home from the hospital without a diagnosis of what was wrong. But don’t get me started on that issue. Glad for the good news though.
      Take care everyone; and congratulations Colleen on having most of your Christmas shopping done. I completely understand and agree with you on not buying except for who you want too. Barbara

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

HI Ladies,
      I hope this finds everyone doing fine. I have a story that sounds like it would be in a movie. Last Sunday night I was sitting here watching TV & playing on the computer when everything went black! and I mean black. The power went out without warning. No flickering or anything. Normally if power in the bldg goes out the hallway lights are always on. But not Sunday night. One of my neighbors said he saw sparks come out of the back up generator, causing the hall way to be dark. Since there was nothing I could do I went to bed & played games on my tablet. It had a full charge so why not. I shut it off finally & went to sleep. Wouldn’t ya know, just as I’m getting to sleep, the power came on. Luckily I forgot the one of the lights was still on & it woke me up. It turns out all of this block, blocks all the way down town were affected, 3500 people altogether. It was a faulty wire in a power station that caused the outage. I unpluged all my TV & other appliances so there wouldn’t be a power surge & damage them.
      We’ve been thru ice, snow, rain & wind storms & never lost power. It was a calm nice night. At first I thought a squirrel may be at fault since we have them around here with all the trees.
      Oh yes, when I was talking to my neighbor, guess who made a beeline for the hallway? She runs past me & when she gets out in the hall she looks around like ‘what the heck is going on here’? As we were talking she made her way down to his apt where she finds his door open & goes right in like she was invited.. I went down to get her & he grabbed her up before I could. He’s faster than I am. lol. By the time I was heading back to my apt, 2 other neighbors were out in the hall with flashlights.
      I’m glad I wasn’t on an elevator when it happened.
      Now for the weather. Our nice sunny days are gone. We had a couple nice days without the East winds. I hate those winds as they chill ya to the bone.
      We have several storms heading our way. One has come in today. they say we’ll be hit by the remanents of that typhoon that hit Japan earlier. It’s gonna be a soggy & windy week into the weekend.
      Hallie was back in the hospital this week. She passed out in the shower the other night. She was admitted with a concussion. turns out she was very dehydrated. they put her on IVs to check out her kidney function. They didn’t like what they saw so they kept her a couple days till they got better results. I always thought of dehydration during the summer.
      Snowball loves to climb around my bedroom. she tries to climb all over my tubs, dressers, you name it. she tried to jump up on one of my dressers this morning but missed. she almost got a shower the other day. I saw her walking along the bath tub while I was in the shower. I think she got sprinkled cuz I saw her take off like she was shot out of a cannon. lol
      Well, I better get off here.
      take care & be careful with that storm coming your way.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      I did not see the show with Kerstin and the swimming suits. That was a little weird. I have never heard of any other host doing that. I do not know why she would do that. Even if the swim suits fit not all suits look good on one person. I have not seen that host that is from California. I do not know if she did not stay or if they did not hire her after she hosted a couple of shows. I know what you mean about the new hosts they are all alike. There is nothing that stands out.
      That is nice that Lisa got a horse ranch. She will enjoy being out of the city and being out where she can be alone. I wonder if she ever got married. She was dating someone when she left qvc. I just hope she is having a good life.
      That was a cute name Lolly. I wonder why he called her that. Did he have a hard time saying Jennifer? Kids do come up with some different names when they are little. Aliza calls everyone Ludie. We have no idea where that name came from. It may be a name that her other grandma told who knows.
      We finally turned our furnace on today. It does get cold at night. I am thinking that we are going to have a cold winter. It will be interesting to see. They say that we will not see the sun very much this winter but we will see.
      The cardinals played terrible in the play offs. We were really disappointed in them. Well maybe next year they will play better and go all the way.
      Well that is all from here Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I forgot that she works there. It will be getting really busy there since the Christmas season is coming. They really do have a lot of customers. I know that you can hardly walk thru the stores here. Our grands are strong young women and we just have to trust that they will do the right thing. I have been praying for the girls and the babies also. We will just have to trust in the Lord.
      I am glad that you got the stair lift so it will help you and Tillie. Some times the exercises can get really rough.It is good the the therapist came over and worked that out for you. I hope that these exercises will work better for you. It sounds like you are feeling better if you could just get rid of the shoulder pain.
      That was the first whole Lobster that I have ever ordered. I usually just get the tail. I have had it fixed a couple of different ways. I always get them at Red Lobster i really love the biscuits that they fix with it. When did you discover that you that you were allergic to shell fish? That would be hard to not be able to eat them when you really like them.
      I just hope that I get done shopping soon. I do not like to fight the Christmas rush. I cannot believe that I use to go shopping on black Friday with all the crowds. We had to be nuts.
      Well that is all from here. Have a great night
      Colleen
      p.s. I will keep my fingers crossed that your roof does not leak.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      It is funny where some kids get their nicknames from. Buddy is a cute nickname. Maybe your son wanted her to call him that. It would seem funny to have someone close call you another name. We call my brother Pat but his real name is William Patrick. Now that he is older all his business friends call him Wil or Bill. It seems really weird to hear someone call him that. His wife calls him Pat when she is around us but not sure what she calls him other places.
      Gatlingburg is a really pretty place. We were there for a short time. We went to visit the Christ museum and gardens. It was really pretty and well worth the trip to go there.
      In laws can be really annoying. They do not think before they do something. It is bad especially when they are separated from your daughter or son. They really seem to not care about anything anymore.
      I will be glad if I got all my shopping done. I do not want to have to shop during the Christmas rush. Well that is about all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      That was weird that the lights went out like that. It would be scary. I do not blame you for going to bed there would not be much to do with no electric. You were lucky your tablet was charged. I hope that you did not have to go without electric for very long.
      I am sorry to hear that Hallie was back in the hospital. I hope that they are sure of what was wrong with her. You can get dehydrated any time of the year.It just depends on whether or not you drink enough fluids. That must have been scary for her.
      That is funny about Snowball. I wonder why cats do not like water. They do not seem to have any liking for it at all. The one thing that I do not like is when they climb on kitchen tables. I always think they step in their liter box and then they get on the table. My daughters cat did that all the time.
      I hope that the storms are not really bad there. It would be glad to lose your electric again. Take care.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      I think maybe Lolly was Brent’s version of Jenny when he was little.
      That’s funny that you said that about Aliza. When Brent was little our neighbor had a teenage daughter who was named Shirley and Brent called her Ludie. I guess they sounded the same to him.
      Your lobster story reminded me of something. When my Mom remarried after Dad died her husband was originally form Connecticut. So they would occasionally go back there and visit his kids. I remember her telling me that because they knew that she loved lobster so much they would always have a lobster boil for her and of course you get the whole lobster. And I remember her telling me that she didn’t want to be impolite but she really just preferred the lobster tail so much better as it was so much easier to eat. So they thought they were doing something great for her and she was sort of put off by it. It was one of those crazy situations where you don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings but you really wished they wouldn’t.
      I can’t believe that you used to go out on Black Friday either. I do just about all my shopping on line now-you don’t have to worry about going out and getting caught in the snow and it’s just so much less chasing around.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Sue,
      You are all set for winter now. I hope you don’t get that bad stuff already. I’m starting to envy my SIL who will be in Florida this winter.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

HI DD,
      I’m glad that Hallie is doing better. It’s scary that she passed out and hit her head. I hope she will do better now.
      I hate when the power goes out. We are so dependent on power for everything now.
      I love that Halloween quilt. I just love quilts in general.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Barbara,
      They call Lachlan Buddy a lot too. Not sure why-although it seems I hear it less since Adam’s not around so maybe it was more his thing.
      How nice that your sons got to visit. Greg’s oldest brother lives in North Carolina but since they don’t speak to us we have never been there to visit.
      Did anyone in your family go to UT? Or they just like the team. Greg’s brother that lives in Minnesota still goes to all his college football games up there. He went to a small liberal arts college called Saint Thomas. He is a big sports nut in general though.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I’ll bet you will end up being very glad that you put the lift chair in as it will make things easier for you and Tillie.
      I hope your weather didn’t get too bad and you didn’t lose anymore trees.
      I hope you eventually get back to the doctor to get the heartbeat thing checked out.
      Don’t over do it in the weeks coming up to the baby shower. Take care of yourself first.
      I know. I’m bossy! lol It’s done out of love! lol
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      Well, you are not going to believe this one. In the middle of the storm last night, I got a gout attack. So, between the shoulder and foot, i hardly slept at all. i can hardly eat anything, and I get a gout attack. This is what I ate yesterday……2 pieces of cinnamon toast with one egg, coffee, and OJ, then in afternoon, one bar cookie I made last week with Heather for tea- I had mint tea with honey, for supper, a cup of ricotta cheese, 3 graham crackers, and 1 1/2 apples ( small ones) Seriously? That sparked an attack?? Spoke with my doctor this am, and he said to add an extra indomethacin. He will call me later today to see how I am doing.
      So, I had to reschedule the dam knee shot again, as there is no way I will be able to walk into an office tomorrow. This is getting crazy. Cancelled the PT today, but kept the OT, as I needed to do something for the shoulder. I love my OT guy- Ed is his name. He modified my exercised for today, due to the pain.
      the storm up here was awful last night- what a racket it made. I lost my remaining cute solar owl- he flew off the deck and broke. My lighted jack-o-lantern on the back deck also flew, but as he is electric, he did not go far- he was attached to the outlet….LOL Our flag and the pole are somewhere in the back yard. Still, with all the wind, that was not bad. My neighbor lost a huge branch, and he had debris all over his yard. We were lucky nothing bad happened. I am grateful.
      It is still very dark and gloomy. Occasional rain, and still some wind. How did you do with this storm?
      So, our current price for oil up here is 2.799. For the burner clean-out with the annual contract for repair, the price was 349.00. What are your prices in Tenn??
      I hope all is well with you and Jerry. how is his back? Would you ever consider the Acorn stair lift for your house? Tillie is afraid of anything new. I know I will have to direct her on which lever to press to get up, and turn the seat around to get out….LOL It will things a lot easier, for all of us. I am glad i finally did it.
      Hope you are all good!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD!
      That must have been scary when the lights went out. I am glad it did not last long. At least you had a charge in your tablet, so you had something to do in the dark.
      I love that basket you got. Very pretty.
      Please read the post to Barbara for all the news of the day up here.
      I am so sorry Halley ended up back in the hospital. I hope they find out what is wrong, and she will be ok. Prayers sent your way.
      Also hope the storms are not too bad for your area. Last night, we had a doozie, but everyone is ok.
      Your kitty is very funny, and I love hearing the stories about her.
      Have a good night!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen!
      The roof did not leak last night, so I think we are good. the wind was out of control, and it was very noisy.
      Please read the post to Barbara and Dd for all the news of the day. Some good, and some challenging…..LOL
      Our girls are strong women, I am also praying for both of them and their babies, every night.
      You are so lucky yo got almost all your holiday shopping done. You are our star Christmas Q shopper of the year!! Go Colleen!
      I also had to put the heat on today. I had to finally give in, as it was too chilly for my arthritis. I hate to make that decision, as it makes the winter very real.
      Hope you are having a good day!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster
      All my info is in the posts to the girls. Please read them, as my arm’s getting tired typing….LOL
      Attaching a pic of the stairway, before and after, so you can all see the difference.
      My doctor did call me this am, when I left him a message about the gout. He is calling me back later, to see how I am doing.
      Th heart goes up when I exercise and move, and then it goes back down when I sit back down. I swear, it is all due to the level of pain I am feeling. this recovery is the worst I have ever had. It is bizarre.
      We did ok in the storm- minor stuff broke-decorations.
      Hope you guys are ok!!
      Adele

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

I had a terrible night last night. It was extremely windy & every time a gust hit my door it would blow open. It was latched & locked but still blew open. I could not put the dead bolt on as it kept hitting the plate & would not slide into place. I was trying everything to try to keep the door shut & nothing was working I put a chair in front but the gust would hit the door & move the chair. I even tried duct tape but that did not work either. So I finally moved my old printer in front & the chair & that worked the best. But I was up & down all night to check it so the door was not hanging open. So did not get much sleep. I called the landlord & he said he had meetings all day & could not get here until 10 or 11 tonight or Friday morning. So I left it at that but he knocked on my door just before noon & said he moved things around so he could come He took the plate off so now I just have the hole but the deadbolt slides in there so it seems to be holding. If I had know that is all that would be done I could have got out the screwdriver & took it off myself but never thought of that. It is still windy. It was to die down tonight but they are saying we will still have it tomorrow. It just blows cold in everywhere.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I cannot believe that you are having problems with gout now. It is time that you get better. I do not know what else can go wrong. Just take care of yourself and rest.
      The stair lift looks really nice. I hope that it will help you and Tillie with coming up the steps. It looks really nice and I like the way that it folds up when you are not using it. That should help a lot.
      That must have been a really strong wind. If you replace your owls you will have to tie them down. That is good that you saved your Jack-o Lantern. It is aggravating when you lose decorations that you really like. I hope that you can find replacements. I hope that you can find your flag and pole. That must have been some storm.
      That is a shame that you had to cancel the shot to your knee. Hopefully you will be able to go soon. Those shots really help you knee. The weather is not helping with all the pain. I know I have a lot more pain when it is rainy and damp outside.
      I am glad that the roof did not leak. Maybe it is fixed for good. That would be really good news.
      Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      That is funny that Aliza and Brent came up with the name Ludie. I guess they both have really good imaginations. I just cannot figure where the name Ludie came from. I guess they both march to their own drummer.
      Your poor mom. That must have been terrible the whole lobster in front of her and not like the whole ones. Do you ever hear from them after your mom and step dad passed away? One thing you never would want to eat dinner with them if they are having a lobster boil. lol It was nice of them to do that for her. Their hearts were in the right place.
      My mom and started the whole shopping on black Friday. I did it with Danyielle after mom could not shop like that anymore. I still am missing mom so much. I have been having dreams of mom cooking Sunday dinner and dad is there also. I just cannot get that picture out of my head. I wish that I could quit dreaming about that. It is weird the things that I have been dreaming about lately. I thought it would quit after we got home from vacation.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

OMG, Sue!
      That was terrible to go through. I am sure you are exhausted today. I feel so bad that your apartment is so drafty and cold. I remember when I Iived in an old house, the windows were awful and very drafty. I used to put newspaper in between the middle and the sash, and that helped a little with the drafts. I am not sure that would help you, but, anything is better than nothing.
      I hope the door stays closed, or your landlord gets a new one for you. That’s not only cold, but a security issue for you as well.
      The wind stopped up here. I hope it stopped fr you too. We had a lot of school closings, as many are still without electricity. If these storms continue, can you imagine what the snow storms will be like? I hope you are warm and snugly today. It is overcast up here, and chilly. There are tree limbs and leaves all over the lawns and street.
      did you get one of those snugglies from the Q? I got one for Gary, as he is always chilly.
      I hope you get some good sleep tonight. It is awful when you loose that much sleep. Prayers sent.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      I am sure the weather is playing a huge role in all my aches and pains. Better today. I would say half the pain in the foot is gone, so all is good.
      Sue had the same storm. Did you read what happened to her, with her door flying open all night long? That was awful. I am sure we she scared to death. I hope her landlord does the right thing for her, as it is not fair to pay high rents and have to deal with all that crap.
      Tillie has been very achy too. At least today there is no more rain, so I hope we can all get better fast.
      I hope your weather is good too.
      I rescheduled my knee shots for Wednesdays. I hope nothing comes in the middle of them….so crazy!
      So today the appliance repair man arrived with the parts for the dryer and stove. Now, they are like new. I got a call form Sears saying my policies needed to be renewed, so we scheduled repairs for both. I think this is the one time we lucked out, instead of Sears….LOL The dryer was making a lot of noise, and the stove control board was getting hard to put on. Now, all is like new,and I am thrilled.
      We are hoping the leak is a thing of the past….say a prayer for that one!
      Have a good day!
      Adele

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Just a quick note. I’m okay, we didn’t get as much rain as predicted. I thought we’d get a sogfest today but it didn’t rain as much as I thought. It’s supposed to warm up & dry out this week.
      Miss Snowball is laying next to me on the sofa sleeping, & being cute. Btw, she found a new bag & I took a few pics of it.
      Not much going on otherwise.
      Have a great week & I hope those storms calm down or go out to sea.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

I love the picture of snowball just peeking out of the bag, you just see her eyes.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue and DD!!
      I am with Sue- love the one of her peeking out of the bag. So adorable.
      So glad you did not get the brunt of the rain storm. I heard on the news tonight that Texas had a tornado. Those are the worst. Sue had a recent tornado scare too. I am praying nobody has to have a tornado warning. Way too scary for us older people
      I saw there is no DWTS tonight. They were ousted by a football game- not fair, I say!!
      I will be watching the comedies on TV tonight. I get such a kick out of them.
      hope you are both good, and that your weather is good too.
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Adele, Must just be your area DWTS is on here.

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Hope all those awful storms have passed now. Sue, that was terrible about your door that night. I would have been beside myself with fear. I bought two of something called Adalock from Amazon. I bought it originally for my husband when he was having to stay in these not so nice hotels when traveling across country driving the big truck. His company made me so mad by what they did sometimes. I was always afraid of someone breaking in his room. They keep anyone, and I mean anyone, from opening your door once you put it on from the inside. They used to sell them on the Q but I don’t see them now. Might want to look at them. I gave one to our oldest and youngest son since they travel so much. I like them for our home too; even though we have a security system. So glad your landlord came on and helped you.
      Are you any better Adele? You have been through so much. I hope you are able to get your shot in your knee. Your PT man sounds like such a good person who really wants to help you. Did they ever decide what caused the gout attack? Jerrys Dad had this and we did have to be careful with his diet, but surely the doctor will give you a list of dietary do’s and don’t’s. I am like Colleen said, it’s time for you to get a break and feel better. So happy that you all and Sue and Gail made it through that storm. Gosh, your wind must have really been blowing bad. We had lots of storms here as well. Lots of rain and thunder. DD, does that scare Snowball? It does our kitty. You were talking about your lights going out. Ours will do that sometimes; especially in stormy weather. It makes Auto Kitty so nervous when it happens. He will follow us around mewing as if to say “what is wrong?”
      Colleen, I remember how you and your girls would get up so early the day after Thanksgiving to go shopping. I barely had the strength to move the day after but you all would be up and going. ha ha. You have really done good this year. Mabey your dream is your Mom and Dad telling you that they are happy being together again and to comfort you by this. Just a thought.
      Better close for now. Goodnight everyone. Barbara Love your stair lift Adele.

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      DWTS is on here. I am watching as I am typing on here. It will be interesting to see who will get voted off this week. I couldn’t believe that they did not vote anyone off last week. It was interesting I do not remember them ever doing that on Disney night.
      I got sick when we got home from Tennessee. I had a bad cold and was sick to my stomach. So the doctor gave me something to keep from getting sick. They have finally figured out what is wrong with my stomach. It is a nerve in there and it is caused by the diabetes. I cannot remember what she called it though. I will either have to call her or look it up on the computer. When I find it I will tell you what it is. I will just have to take those pills I guess forever.
      I hope that you will be able to go to the knee doctor Wednesday. We have rain here. We had a bad storm last night. The rain falling on that metal roof was really loud and it kept me awake last night. I really hope that we do not have any storms tonight. Ron said he likes to hear the rain hit the roof. They had a metal roof when he was a kid. I told him they can take the roof back. lol
      That is nice that they got your stove and dryer fixed. It is good that they work like new.That is one thing that I would like to get new is a stove. Our stove is so old.
      I cannot believe how mean everybody is being to Len this year. That Erin called him a jerk because they said he made Whitney cry. I thought it was uncalled for. I do not know if I like dwts as much this year.
      Well that is about all from here. Have a grat night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      When we use to get up early to shop we had to be nuts. We should have slept longer. Now the stores are open on Thanks giving night. So people start shopping on Thanks giving now. You need to take some time and spend it with your family. That was one reason we quit going. We did not want to spend time in the store on Thanks giving and giving up that family time..
      They must be telling me that they are happy together again. It just really hurts that we cannot be with them. I always want to call her and talk. I guess that I am not ready to give that up yet. My oldest sister keeps telling me to call her and talk to her. I guess I should.
      Have you been watching any of the Christmas movies on Hall Mark? They really started early this year. They did have one on today that I had never seen. It was pretty good.
      Those locks that you got for the motel was a good idea. You never know who will get in your room. We had that problem when we were in Cookville. Lessoned learned.
      Well that is about all from here. Have great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Snowball is just so cute. I like the way he hides in bags like that all the time.He is just so cute. I am glad that you did not have any of the storms. They are hitting everywhere else. We had some storms here and will be glad if they stay away for the rest of the week.
      That is so cute that she is snuggling by you. She has found her place.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I don’t know what ballgame you were referring to but DWTS is on out here. I know the World Series starts tomorrow (Tues.) but I think it’s on Fox sports.
      There was a football game on NBC last night (Sunday), maybe that’s the one you were thinking of. But there’s no ball games on TV tonight. I hope you didn’t miss out on DWTS.
      Sue,
      I hope your landlord has fixed the door. There are laws that say they have to provide a safe place to live. I’m pretty sure there are laws that protect tenants.
      Esp, when it comes to something like that. That’s WRONG on all counts. There’s been a few slum landlords around here, but they end up in jail. I wish
      they’d put these landlords that raise the rent so high that people end up homeless. and they wonder why Portland has the highest rate of homelessness in the country.

We don’t get those horrible storms like you guys get. High winds, but not like tornadoes. We don’t get thunder very often so I don’t think it bothers Snowball. Now the fire alarm will be another matter. It’s so loud I have to go into the bedroom & shut the door. It’s ear piercing loud!!! Jewell got scared by it & the dogs in the bldg howl, like when the fire trucks, sirens go by.

I’m glad you like the pics of Snowball, she’s a character.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who doesn’t like Kirsten on the Q. Some of the hosts get on my nerves as well. I did notice that a few weeks ago the Q started running the TSV in the overnight hrs. I wonder if they’re cutting back or what’s going on. Maybe the new hosts got tired of the long hrs in the overnight hrs.

+

Attachments:
    • Anonymous
      Inactive

Well they sure did not fix anything when it comes to votes on DWTS. I sure disagree with the bottom 2 last night & the one that was sent home. I bet it is set up for Sean to win like Bobby before. Neither is a good dancer. I thought all the dancers have improved. I love to watch them dance but just hate that people put the bad ones through & people go that should stay.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      The Patriots football game was on instead of DWTS. Gary thought they may have put it on one of those other channels the stations own.
      Who got kicked doff?
      It was raining her this am. Then, it got sunny and warm. Was a nice day.
      Hope you had a nice day too.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      I am better this afternoon. You will not believe what happened again last night. I was making my meatloaf, and potatoes, with butternut squash. Bobby decided to do it. He roasted the potatoes with onions and butter. I did not have a lot of potato, but boy did I get sick in a very short amount of time. I had squash the night before too, and it did not bother me. It could have been the combo of the butter in the potatoes, the onions hamburg and squash.
      So, no shot today. It has been put off for another week. Had to go back to eating nothing. I had graham crackers and Greek yogurt for breakfast, with tea. So boring.
      Gout is caused bu a high fat diet. You are supposed to stay away from red meats, cold cuts, butter, and oil. Funny thing is, I have not had any of those,
      and still got a gout attack. The nurse said my system is all out of whack right now. I am just so tired of getting sick, for no discernible reason. I keep telling myself it will pass. Just a matter of time.
      So, before the shower, I will go to eating practically nothing, to make sure nothing happens to keep me from the shower….LOL
      That lock sounds like a great idea, especially for people who live alone. Also great for travelling. I hope Sue’s door never does that again, as it was so scary, and dangerous.
      Hope your weather is good today too!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Colleen!
      Well, I did not make the knee doctor again- please read the posts to Barbara and Sue.
      You know, I also feel that DWTS is just not as good as it has been in years past. I can’t put my finger on it either. Just does not seem as good. Seems to rush through the personal notes and practices. That can be good and bad. Who knows??
      DWTS was not on the regular channel. They ran the Patriot’s football game. Gary thought it may have been on a different channel.
      I know what you mean about a metal roof. When we were in the campground in NH, we had a trailer, and the rain was deafening. Not fun at all. I was hoping they would have done enough insulation to soften the noise. Dam.
      I wonder what that nerve is in your stomach. I don’t think I have ever heard of that before either. I hope they had ways to manage it, so you can feel better. We get such weird things to annoy us as we age.
      My SIL sent me a beautiful bouquet of orange roses. That really brightened my day! She is such a sweetie.
      I hope your weather is good, and no more ran for a while.
      Hope you had a good day!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      I am with you. DWTS just does not seem as good as it has been in the past.
      Who got voted off?
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      It was the Monday night football game that took the place of DWTS. The Patriots were playing Monday night. Gary thinks they had the show on some other channel, but I just gave up.. We watched the comedies, instead. Sounds like I did not miss much, per Sue. I think we are all feeling the show is just not as good as before. That must have been weird to see them be mean to Len. I like Len.
      That is good that you do not get much thunder, as snowball would be rally scared. I bet she freaks at the smoke alarm noise. So, how can you tell it is a real emergency, when they go off all the time? That’s not good.
      So, today I made up the trick or Treat bags for the kids. I did 20 of them. How funny is that, as I usually get less than 10. I always hope I get more….LOL
      I hope you had a good day. Tonight is all the “Chicago” shows. We all love those, even Tillie.
      Hope your night is good, and not too chilly.
      Adele
      PS….love your Fall pics.

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Adele I did not post who was voted off as I did not want to spoil it for you. Sailor was voted off. It was crazy as it was her & Ally in the bottom 2 & both had good scores. Sailor had all 9’s as opposed to Sean who had 7’s & he stays. I think the dancing is fine & all have shown improvement, The voting is just so wrong.
      We had rain all day yesterday. Today was cool & breezy but with sun. We are to get more rain on the weekend. Going down in the 30’s tonight. I am just glad if it stays above freezing so we don’t have snow & ice.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi Sue
      Thank you for being so considerate, so I had a chance to see it for myself. We have way too many shows recorded to record another one. We are trying to sort out the shows that are not so good, so we will record less to watch later.We try to see which of the new shows are worth watching.
      Of the newer ( a couple were on last year) shows, I love Stumptown, A Million Little Things, New Amsterdam and Emergence. Not sure if I like Evil, as it is sometimes too scary….LOL
      Which new shows do you like?
      We got that rain over last night, and into this am. then, it got sunny and almost 70. that will not last!
      Have a good night.
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Sorry to hear about your gout acting up Adele. Gosh, you are just needing some relief from all this. I can’t see what you ate that would bring it on; but it may be just like the nurse said, your whole system is out of sorts right now. Prayers coming your way.
      Joey came up for a couple of hours this evening; ate dinner with us; and we visited. It was so good to talk with him. He is still way too thin, but is at least eating better; which makes us happy. Lisa is working late at the ortho clinic tonight. She has recieved a promotion to manager. I am not sure how much she likes it so far; but Joey said he tried to explain to her that she would be salaried now; and she was upset when she saw her check; even though she got a raise. But hopefully she will like it as she adjusts to it. Lisa is a very hard worker; almost a perfectionist; but that’s what I like from medical personnel. Someone who cares.
      DD our kitty has gotten cold. He stays either snuggled up at the foot of our bed or in a QVC bag like your kitty. I think it must hold their body heat in. Your kitty is so cute. I know she brings you lots of happiness.
      Sue, hope your door is doing good. Did you get nice weather after the storms? We did here.
      Gail, do you all plan to go visit Brent any during the holidays or him be able to come home? We are trying to make some plans with all of our family. We were going to go visit Colin next week; and just found out that Joey had arranged to take next Saturday off and he and Lisa go visit them next week. We know the baby loves them so much and would be able to walk a lot further than Jerry and I could to trick or treat. Joey said for us to go; but we should have said something before now; we just can’t seem to make any real plans anymore since one of us always seems to come down with something everytime we plan a trip,. So we will see what happens. Neal and family are due to come home for Thanksgiving.
      Better go since it is getting late. Hope everyone is having a good evening. and will be able to rest well tonight. Barbara

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I am sorry that you could not keep that appointment to get that shot. That gout will not go away. The butter may have been caused all the trouble. I did not realize that gout acted up as much as it does. I have never had it so do not know much about it. Hopefully you will get it under control again.
      That station needs to know that DWTS is a lot more important then football. You can watch a game just about anytime day or night. It is a lot more fun watching people dancing then hitting each other in a game. lol
      You have put too much work in that shower you cannot be sick. It will be worth it to watch what you eat so you will be able to enjoy it. Marissa will want you there and Tillie.
      The bouquet that you got from your sil. I do not think that I have ever seen orange roses. They sound really pretty. Roses come in so many different colors now and they have such good smells. I think roses are the prettiest flowers they are they are my favorite.
      There is not a whole lot going on here. I went shopping with my oldest daughter and Aliza Tuesday. We went to this really cute shop and I got a couple Christmas presents there. That is going to be a problem every time I go to a store I find something for somebody. That is the only problem with getting done early.
      Well that is all from here. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      That was nice that you got to spend time with Joey. It is hard to get use to being a salary person. You never get any over time that is for sure. She will get use to it after awhile. I just hope they do not take advantage of her.
      Do not give up seeing Colin for anyone. There should be enough room for all of you. He loves you and Jerry also and it will mean a lot to have you there too. Your son will be glad to have you there also. Would you stay at their place or get hotel room? When we visit my youngest daughter we always stay at a hotel room they do not have much room at their place. They do not want us too but we do it anyway.
      We do not get to go trick or treating with Aliza her dad’s family goes there. His mom is something else his mom and dad are divorced and his mom does not like it when his dad comes around. So we try to avoid the whole situation. It makes everyone feel uncomfortable.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I hope everyone is doing fine. I need prayers for Critt. He’s in a bad spot right now. He’s a vet from the vietnam war, & suffers from several issues related to it. One being survivors guilt, among other things, pain, diabetes. He’s been talking suicide & he failed at it. I told him it was God’s way of saying “Not now”. He started to talk about it yesterday. I told him he has alot of friends here who love & care about him, one being me. I don’t know if it did any good.
      Well, he has an appointment with his psychiatrist tomorrow so I’ll find out if they put him in the hospital. He wants me to take care of his kitty if they do. He takes meds for it but it apparently isn’t working. he sits over there & doesn’t do much of anything but feel sorry for himself. Granted, he has reason to, the war issues, & all. I don’t begin to understand any of that.
      Did any of you catch the Comfy TSV on the Q today. If it wasn’t the end of the month I would’ve got the red & black one.
      Can you believe it’s 2 months till Christmas?!! I should start getting my things out to see what I want to put up. I should put the tree up for awhile just to see how snowball reacts to it. I may have to bolt it down or tie it down to keep it from falling down when she tries to climb it. Being artifical she won’t be able to get too far on it. I HOPE!! Like a human 2-3 yr old I’ll have to put everything on the ceiling. Or put out everything unbreakable.

The orange roses were probably Tropicana. a friend of mine had a bush of them. They are gorgeous. Roses are my absolute faves.
      It sounds like the voting on DWTS is as bad as it was last yr. I didn’t see it but I heard about the flack from last yrs winner. I believe it was someone I never heard of. I don;t watch it anymore as it isn’t the same show it started out to be. I just lost interest in it. If they keep voting off the good dancers I don’t see any point in watching. At least yrs ago the bad ones got voted off in the first few shows.
      Well, I guess that’s enough for tonight. I’ll keep ya posted on Critt, & Hallie. She has kidney infection.
      Take care.
      dd

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

I forgot something.

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara!
      That is great news that you plan on going to see Colin for Halloween. I hope nothing comes in between your visit, and that you all have a fabulous time. How fun that will be to see him on Halloween. Can’t wait to hear how it went.
      I am glad Joey is looking better, and feeling better. I hope he will not catch anything else all winter, as this sounds like it was a tough recovery. These viruses are awful lately.
      That is great that everyone will be home for Thanksgiving. I bet you two are very excited!! I love good news.
      So, Tillie and Gory went to Super Cuts today and got their hair cut, with no incidents. I am glad that is over, as Gary was a little nervous about taking her.
      The nurse who came today said they will discharge me from nursing next week. The PT and OT will remain for a while longer. As of today, I have been home for one month. Can you imagine? I just do not feel like I have had a month’s worth of recovery. she said I can add veggies, but go slow to see if they cause any discomfort.
      Congrats to Lisa on her promotion. That is the down side to management- no overtime. The workers end up making more money. But, being a manager is better for her career. I hope she gets a raise soon to make up for the overtime pay.
      Hope your weather is good, and that you are having a good day.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen!
      Well, I have more baby news. The most recent ultrasound showed the baby bigger than he is supposed to be. So, they think the due date may be wrong. We shall see….LOL With all these new tests, so much more info on babies comes to light. they even said he has a lot of hair follicles.
      I will be so good for 3 days before the shower, to make sure the belly does not go nuts. I hope nothing else happens too.
      So, today Heather was taken by ambulance to the ER. Wednesday night she fell asleep on her couch, and her foot got stuck in the frame, and she could not feel it when she got up. She called her doctor, and she said to elevate the foot, and keep it warm and the feeling would return. It did not. She has been crawling on the floor to go to the bathroom. She lives on the 3rd floor, so there is no way anyone could safely get her down- hence the ambulance. I am wondering if all the bruising she has had is part of this. She has been getting huge bruises, and no idea where or what she did. Gary was going to go with her,but she said the ER is loaded with people, and for him to wait here for now. I have not heard anything yet. Marissa is at work, Steph has to wait for the boys to get home, and Amanda is here waiting for the call. But, she has to go to work at 5. No matter what, I want her to come back here, as we have the stair master, so she only has to scoot up 5 stairs to get to it. She definitely can’t do 3 flights back to her house.
      I am praying it is nothing serious. I hope it is only a pinched nerve.
      She just called. They think it is nerve damage. Waiting for the xray. If it is nerve damage, she has to e on crutches until she sees a neurologist. She will come back here, no matter what.
      I bet you will be buying a lot more before Christmas…..LOL It is fun to buy gifts.
      Hope your day is going better than mine….LOL
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!!
      OMG. Depression is the worst, as you never really know how they feel. I hope he has a good psychiatrist. As soon as they hear he even thinks about killing himself, he will be admitted. An admission is the best thing for him right now. They have to do more intensive work with him, to figure out the cause, and adjust his meds. They will not release him until they are sure he is not feeling like harming himself.
      Critt has a lot to feel bad about. Nobody can take away the PTS of what he did, and what he saw over there. What we do to our service men and women is awful. We train them to kill, and that is not a natural thing to do. It is simply awful, all the way around.
      I am sure your kind words made him realize you are his friend, and you care for him. I am sure you said the right things to him, as you are a very kind person. Maybe you could visit him at the hospital. That would be so nice for him, to have a visitor.
      I am sorry Hallie still has a UTI. Those are awful. I am also sorry Critt has been struggling with his depression, PTSD, and his pain. that is a lot for one person. He is in my prayers.
      I did not read the posts until today, so I had no idea what was happening when I answered you on Messenger.
      You are all in my prayers.
      Please take care of yourself!
      Adele

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

DD I am praying for your friend Critt and for Hallie. I know they both mean so much to you; and it hurts us to see those we care about hurting too; whether physical, mental, or both. Our son Joey, who stayed in the military for 4 years where our oldest son Buddy, stayed for 25, anyway, Joey shakes a lot now, and never did before he went overseas and was stationed at some very scary places. Joey never told us; our older son did since Joey had confided in him, about how Joey was the only survivor during a shooting ambush and how his closest friend literally passed away in Joeys lap. Buddy asked us not to mention this; since Joey also felt guilty about his survival, and all others perished. We trusted our son when he told us how he talked with him a long time to help Joey and he said he would call him regularly to stay in touch. Our oldest son also experienced some horrible things but he told us that if he ever feels Joey needs more help he promised us he would tell us so. IWe know now that Joey has PTSD and that is why he shakes like he does. So I really understand what you are saying, and like Adele said that you just being there for your friend is helping him know how much you care. Poor Hallie, those UTI’s are just awful. Thank goodness they have good medicine for them.
      Poor little Heather too. I so agree with you Adele that she needs the stair lift at your house and some good TLC too. Bless her heart there is no way she could go in to work like this. That is some special news about the baby too. It is miraculous all the tests and procedures that medicine is able to do now on mommies and babies. Neal showed us a 3D picture of Colin before he was born. I sure hope she is feeling good. I was thinking of how I used to wear those big maternity tops and I bet no one wears those anymore. I thought it was so comfortable. Now the ladies wear tighter clothes and I see their little belly buttons just sticking out. Isn’t it funny how things like that change? One fashion that hasn’t changed much is blue jeans and tee shirts. I was so happy when I first saw Jeanne. I loved her clothes from the beginning. She was someone who understood comfort and being pretty all at the same time. I really need to thank Angel for doing such a good job and Patrick too. They both always make me smile.
      Gail, did you see Kirks Folly yesterday? I didnt get a chance to watch it live so I recorded it and am going to watch after I write you all. I have David on now and he just said everything on sale is 20% off until midnight. That is good.
      Our plan is to leave Sunday if the weather clears. It is really raining here now and is supposed to continue through Sunday morning. I went ahead and mailed Colins Halloween box just in case. I have to make myself not get discouraged but it just seems like whenever we plan a trip then one or both of us get sick; or Jerrys back gets worse. Or something happens to me. Jerry doesn’t like since the car lights bother his eyes shining so bright at us. But I get nervous if the traffic is heavy since he is not very patient. I keep reminding him that our car is not a semi-truck, and people won’t just move over for us. Gail, I put on an eye mask, pop in my ear buds and listen to audio book. I just have to. But Colleen, I so agree, I need that baby and he needs us. So say a little prayer that Jerry doesn’t sit me out on the highway between here and NC. lol By the way, Adele, how is your shoulder and Knee? Sue, have you had any more problems with your door? Sure hope not. Baked some cookies yesterday, and the house smelled so good. thanks again for letting me know where to look for them. I buy at least 4 packages, since Jerry loves them too. We treat ourselves to them so much they are gone quickly.
      Love all the Fall pictures and of course our kitty model Snowball. Take care everyone. Barbara

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Critt came to my door late this afternoon, so he isn’t in the psycward, as he calls it. They wanted him to but he said no. He does seem better tho. I want to thank all of you for your prayers, & concern.
      Barbara, I’m so sorry about your son & his PTSD. He’ll never get over his friend dying in his arms. I can’t imagine how awful that was for him. I’ll keep you both in my prayers. Thank you for the compliments. Glad you enjoy the pics I put up.
      I heard there are more storms coming. I hope it doesn’t interfer with travel plans. I hope you get there safely & you have a wonderful time with Colin.
      Sue, I hope your landlord fixed the door by now. I can’t imagine that happening.

I know this sounds crazy, but I’m gonna start going thru my Christmas stuff. I may rearrange my living room to accomodate the tree. I may put it up just to see how her nibs reacts to it. I don’t want to get it up, decorate it then have her knock it over. Jewell slept underneath it, but never took a flying leap at it.
      Adele, is Heather on any kind of blood thinner? They can cause bruising. Just a thought.
      I can’t believe it’ll be Nov. next week!!! Where has this yr gone???!!

Oh today when I was talking with Critt out in the hallway, you-know-who came out looking for me. She sauntered up to Critt for pets. then she did her “try & catch me if you can” routine. she went back to my apt, then after a few minutes she came back out & this time we were in Critt’s apt & she came running in like she owned the place. We played tag for a bit, then she ran out & back home.Right now she’s asleep in the bathroom sink. she waited till I was done using it earlier today before getting into it.
      Well, that’s about it for tonight.
      Have a great weekend!!
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      I am sorry to hear about Critt. I hope that they got him calmed down again and he does not try to kill himself. You are such a good person and what you said to Critt was the right thing. You let him know that he has friends and people that care for him. You are always there for him and that will help him a lot.
      I have to start to go thru all of my decorations and see what I will put out this year. I have a lot of my mom’s things to go thru and pick out which ones to put out and the ones to give the kids. We have so many to go thru. I want Ron to get the dining room set from my mom’s so I can get all my dishes put away and get my house in some type of order. We have been doing so much moving things around that we may never get things done.
      The orange roses are really pretty. Thank you for posting them. I have never seen roses that color before. We have seen all different colors though. I really love roses and like it when I get them.
      Snowball is really keeping an eye on you. She is just so cute and sounds lie a lot of fun. She feels right at home at Critts. He may have felt that way since you were there. He makes a good companion.
      I love all the pictures that you have posted. I really like the purple leaves on the tree. That is just a beautiful scene with the church. Al of the pictures are really pretty.
      I will keep praying for Critt and your niece. Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      That is an exciting news about Marissa’s baby. I wonder when the baby will be born it is going to be earlier then January. Or at least it seems like it from the ultra sound they did. I bet she is excited. I bet you all are.
      I am sorry to hear about Heather. I hope she is doing ok. She is so lucky to have her mom close by to take care of her. Just being at your house will help her. I hope it is just a nerve like they think it is. The stair lift was a great help to more then you and Tillie.
      Well I found out the name of what is wrong with my stomach I have gastoepareses. It is caused by a nerve in the stomach whic is effected by diabetes. So I will have to take a pill for it to keep my stomach calm and stop the vomiting. If it will help. So anyway it helps to know what it is and that I will have to deal with it for the rest of my life. If it just means taking a pill I can handle that.
      We finally got the pool closed today. Next year we are closing it right after Labor day no matter how hot it is. I am not waiting again. I will not depend on my daughter to get it done either. Ron and I will just do it ourselves.
      Colleen
      p.s. You and your family are in my prayers.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      That is such a heart wrenching story about Joey in the Middle East. Just think- every single soldier who returns has a similar story, and it is just too awful to comprehend. Our boys ( and girls) are in harms way every day, and with the new policies of # 45, not even respected anymore. It broke my heart when I saw people throwing food at them. But, I understood, as those people feel we have betrayed them.
      I will add a prayer for Joey, and all our military people.
      My shoulder still gives me a lot of trouble- even more so since the OT person is working with me. he is continually modifying exercises due to my pain level.
      I hope Critt is ok, and Hallie- I have to send DD a post.
      Now on to Heather, God help us. They admitted her, and put her leg n a brace. they have done all kinds of scans, of her entire body and brain. The brain scan came out fine. They are looking for eschemic stroke. None of the other scans results are back yet- they took her twice today for more scans. She is very upset, as one day she was fine, and one day she could not walk. Believe me, nobody understands that more than me and Gary. We have all been praying they find the cause, and it has a simple cure. When she is released, she will come here, as we have the stair lift, and she only has to do 5 stairs before the lift, with walls on both sides. They have her walking with a walker, with the brace on to immobilize from the knee down.
      She is so worried about the shower next weekend. we told her not to worry, as we can rent a wheelchair for her , if need be.
      Have a safe and happy trip!! Hug the stuffing out of little Colin!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      Love the Halloween pics. I get it about your Christmas decorations. We all need some holiday spirit, fast!
      I am so glad Critt seems better. He is lucky to have a friend like you, close by, and one who is so caring. You are a good friend to him, and I know he appreciates it.
      We will all continue praying for Critt, and hope he continues to feel better.
      It is awful what Barbara’s son saw in the war. It is awful for what they all see, and have to do. It is just not right. We need to respect our military, and hold then in high esteem, every single day.
      Please read the post to Barbara, for the Heather news. She has not been on a blood thinner.
      Hope your day is good!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      Please read my posts to the girls for all the Heather news. she is still in the hospital,and they have not found out what is wrong yet. I do feel the foot in the couch thing was not the cause- they are looking for evidence of a stroke.
      Glad you got the pool closed. That is a pain to do, for sure.
      I hope you get your Mom;s china out and the decorations you took from her house. That will make you feel a lot better, to see her pretty things in your house.
      OMG- I have never heard of that stomach ailment from diabetes. I hope the pill will work, and it will not cause you any more trouble- I am adding another prayer for you and your belly!!
      We will see what the doctor says to Marissa on Monday about the due date, etc. Marissa is ok, but she is always very, very tired. How is your granddaughter doing?????
      Hope you have a good day.
      Adele

• Anonymous
      Inactive

I just wanted to tell those of you that don’t want to cook or bake. I bought some David’s cookies on QVC, I got the 96 cookies for 36.30. The 60 piece set is .50 more so this is the best value. I got the choc chunk & Reeses PB cup. They are pretty good & I don’t find them that expensive like some food. I like that I can just bake a few at a time when a cookie craving hits. They are packed well the boxes are in a Styrofoam cooler with dry ice. My dry ice was not even melted. Just thought I would let you know if you want some cookies for grandkids these are all ready to go.

Well back to my Penn State game, its halftime. They are ahead 21 – 0.

• Barbara Smith
      Participant

Bless little Heathers heart Adele. I know you all are so worried and I will definitely be praying for all of you. Is her blood sugar normal? Just thinking that blood sugar levels being too high or too low leads to nerve problems (I know Colleen can help us on this) but was just thinking mabey her levels might have caused some nerve damage that no one was even aware of. Still praying for nerve damage that could hopefully be fixed. But thank goodness she is where answers will be found, and you all will know what needs to be done. I agree with Colleen; this stair lift decision has been a real blessing for so many. So glad you all went ahead and had it installed. Please keep us posted. You all rest as much as you can. The shower will be perfect; they always are. And itty bitty who is about to make his grand appearance will have a wonderful time. When is his due date? And when is your babys due date Colleen? So much wonderful news and I just know Heather will be okay Adele.
      I am glad they put a name to your belly upsets Colleen. At least now you can work on helping it not keep bothering you and I pray that this pill they have prescribed for you will make all the symptoms go away. You have really had some hard times dealing with this and I’m praying for you too. I don’t blame you for not wanting to wait next year to cover your pool I have always wanted one; especially now for the kids, but Jerry and I just would not be able to put a cover on and off. It would make Jerry mad and he would be determined to prove he could do it. He had to stop going to the pool at the YMCA. He hurt his shoulder by rotating his arms like regular swimming. They kept trying to get him to just do the water aerobics that was mostly from the waist down standing in the water, but he is hard headed and in denial. So I will just quit now, and pray for better luck with something else.
      It has rained so much in the last 24 hours and is supposed to continue all night. We don’t plan to leave until Monday now; but I just dont’ want to be on the road in this hard rain. But we are really looking forward to being with our baby.
      Sue, your cookies sound yummy. I look for food items that can be cooked a little at a time too. The soup was yummy. But, honestly, besides the expensive meat in it, and there was plenty, my stew tastes really good too, and isn’t very costly. But I splurged and I am going to enjoy it ha ha. I will go on line tonight and look for those cookies. I love warm cookies.
      DD those pictures of the orange roses were so pretty. I have never seen that color and so beautiful. I love lavendar roses. They seem rare too. I have only seen them once. Your kitty had to greet Critt too. I bet she thought he needed her cheering him up with her little antics.
      Better go for now. Praying for good news to all my dear friends facing sickness or other challenges right now. Barbara

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      I hope this finds everyone doing fine. I got a message from Adele, on my phone. She asked me to pass along that she won’t be on the computer today as her shoulder is really bothering her. she’s in alot of pain due to the weather.
      Barbara, I hope you have a safe trip when you go see your family. Have a wonderful time with little Colin. I’m sure he’ll be happy to see you!!! I got those David’s cookies a yr or so ago & they’re good.. Not as sweet as Cheryls cookies, altho I do love the dark chocolate cake with the dark choc frosting on top. they;re David’s faves. But of course they’re the least in the packups. I got the chocolate chunk cookies from David’s & they’re good. And like Sue says you can bake as many or few as you like. I think they have new flavors this yr, probably for the holidays.
      Not much going on out here. It’s a bright sunny day. It’s supposed to be sunny all week, into the first week of Nov. It’s unusual for it to be this dry this late in the month. It’s usually raining,pouring for the kids on Halloween. It got down into the 30s last night.
      Well, that’s about it for now.
      Safe travels & God’s speed on your trip Barbara. Stay safe everyone.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Thank-you for letting us know about Adele. She is just really having problems with that shoulder. I wish they would figure out a way to keep the pain down.
      That is good to know about David’s cookies. I have never tried those but have tried their cakes and those are really good. I can just imagine how good the cookies must taste.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi Barbara,
      Have a great time with Colin and the rest of the family. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy getting away. Our babies due date is January 25th. we will see if they are right. It seems like the first ine never comes when it is supposed. It usually takes longer.
      I do not see how those girls can wear the tight clothes when they are pregnant. I liked wearing the bigger tops and being comfortable. You would those tight things that they wear now would hurt.
      You are so right about Jeanne. She knew how to dress and she kept the prices at an affordable price. I liked that no matter whar size you wore we all paid the same price. I can remember when the only colors that you could buy in a store was dark colors. It made all of us look old before our time. I was glad to see the clothes that Quacker sold. They were bright and fun.
      Colleen

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue
      I hope your team won the game.
      Thank you for that info on the cookies, as I am not be able to do what I have been doing in years past. It seems that I now have elbow problems with my arm. I just think if they amputate the whole thing, life will be better. At least that is how I felt yesterday.
      I was able to make the chicken soup today, but it was an awful struggle. I can barely cut an onion. I had to cut the onion in 4th’s to be able tochop into smaller pieces.
      You had to see how I washed my hair in the shower. Not a pretty sight.
      How is your knee feeling? It’s normal to get some little pains once in a while. I hope your knee is fine.
      Did the landlord do a good job with your door? I hope so, as that was an awful, and very concerning story. i would hate to think it could happen during another storm. We are all praying for you!!
      Hope DWTS is good tonight.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Barbara
      Well, Heather is coming home tomorrow, with a walker, and a brace. Here are the results. So, they did many scans, MRI,etc. Her back has arthritis, bone spurs, and stenosis. They were thinking it was the back. But, when her toes started to regain the feeling, they said she did damage that nerve in the leg by the couch sleeping incident. The PT person who did her brace told her he has seen this a few times. One person damaged the nerve by going on a long drive, and the handle for the door was pushing against his thigh, and when he tired to get out of his car, he collapsed, and could not walk. Why do we get the weirdest things in our family? I could have lived without the knowledge of that particular nerve in our thighs!
      Then, after one day in the hospital, she got a severe infection in her face. Her face, and eye were all swollen, hot, red, and hard as a rock. They tested the infection, and it is MRSA. They said if it went into the eye, it could have gone into her brain, and killed her. they had her working with the Infectious Disease Doctor for Essex County. He changed the antibiotics, as they was not working fast enough. In just one day, it has improved dramatically. they were also giving her prednisone. She will be coming home with more antibiotics, etc. Today is the first day she has not been sleeping all day and night.
      Last night, we facetimed her so Tillie could see and talk to her, This is what she said….” why are you guys up so early?” She thought it was 6:30 in the morning.
      God help all of us here, as Heather was the one who helped us with things we could not do. So, the disabled old people will be helping the temporarily disabled young person….LOL LOL
      Oh, by the way….I think my hair is starting to fall out again….lol lol
      Hope your trip to see little Colin goes well, and that you have a great time on Halloween. It is going to rain here- not fun for the trick or treaters!!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD!
      Thank you so much for letting the girls know I am ok. It was a rough day, and not much better today. Gary is convinced that all the new exercises are killing me….LOL When my OT person came today, we just did some hand exercises. he also told me about this parafin wax stuff, that works wonders on sore hands, and can go up the arm a little- depending on how big the melting container is. We watched a video of the process together. He is such a nice guy. he is the one who will probably be working with Heather too.
      I love your Halloween pics!!!! I can’t believe it will be all over this week. We are supposed to get rain, and that will ruin my plans. I want to put the animated witch outside at the end of the driveway to greet the kids….LOL
      How is Critt doing??? Pretty kitty???
      Hope DWTS is good tonight!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

DD…forgot to to attach a pic of the flowers.
      Adele

Attachments:
    • adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen, Barbara, and everyone

I forgot to add that Marissa is due on 1/23. She thinks her doctor may change the due date due to the baby being bigger than he is supposed to be- per last ultrasound.

We will be comparing the birth dates, weights and lengths….LOL LOL

These will be the Quacker babies. Now we need boy Quacker clothes!!

OMG…it is the Halloween DWTS- yahoo!!!!
      Adele

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Adele, I hope your shoulder gets better soon. I’ve never heard of parafin wax as a hand fixer. Do you squeeze it like a rubber ball or something? Whatever works I guess. I’m sorry to hear you’re unable to cook those wonderful meals, & goodies. I recommend David’s cookies too..no mixing, just place however many you want then bake. I’m getting to that point myself where it takes so long to fix a meal any more. I;m so sorry to hear about Heather getting
      MRSA at the hospital. You’re not supposed to get sick in the hospital, you’re supposed to get well!! I hope it goes away real soon!
      We’re in for a couple really COLD days, starting tonight. Those horrible East winds are starting up later & go thru Wed. We’ll be lucky to get out of the 40s during the day, never mind overnight temps.
      I hope Barbara will have a wonderful time with Colin. I hope the trip is a safe one as well.
      The roses do look like Tropicanas. thanks for showing them off. I used to have a ton of roses, but not anymore.
      I’m starting to take down my fall & Halloween stuff. I;m getting ready to put out my T’giving things.
      Well, I guess that’s all for tonight.
      Oh, I talked to Critt & he says he’s doing fine. I hope he is!!
      talk to ya later.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Adele,
      I am glad that you could get on here today. Sounds like you are having trouble cooking. Do you have any gadgets that will cut food up for you? It would be nice to have one that you just put the food in and it chops it for you. You may have to have your son do all the chopping and you can put it in the pan and cook it. Putting food in the slow cooker will be a big help also. I use my slow cooker a lot when I m not feeling well.
      Poor Heather. I am sorry to hear about all the trouble that she is having. I have never heard of MRSA. What is it? Maybe if I knew what it was I may have heard of it but not the initials. That will be nice to have the same therapist and then he can come there and save himself a trip driving. He sounds like a really good therapist and will help both of you. I have spurs in my neck and they really can hurt at times. That was not good that Heather got her foot caught in the couch. It is a shame that she did not wake up and get her foot out. I will be saying a lot of prayers for her and that they figure this all out.
      Not much going on around here. Just keep getting sick to my stomach will be glad when this calms down again. It will calm down for awhile and then start up again. What a pain.
      Colleen

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I’m back from Oklahoma. It’s snowing here right now and they are expecting snow for Halloween. I hope this is not a foreshadowing of the winter-having snow this early.
      It seems like lots of prayers are in order. I will pray for Hallie and Critt. Adele, it sounds like both you and Heather could use prayers also. And Colleen, I will pray that the new pills help you not to feel nauseous. I know that’s a horrible feeling as my mother suffered nausea from ulcers for so may years until she had surgery.
      Barbara, I hope that you are winging your way to see Colin. That will be so much fun. I can’t cover my eyes or listen to books when we travel as I feel like I need to stay engaged and keep Greg company while he drives so he doesn’t get sleepy or bored. that was a very moving story about Joey and I’m so glad that he told his older brother about what happened so that he can go to him for help if he needs it. Maybe the armed services should require all service people to have a certain amount of therapy before they are discharged. Just a thought.
      I remember the old maternity tops. I think that some of the more modern tops look too tight and uncomfortable.
      Sue, I hope your door and lock are all fixed. I had bought those David’s ready to bake cookies from their web site about three years ago before they came to the Q-and they were quite good. I actually need to replenish my supply-thanks for the reminder.
      It’s funny my Mom’s birthday was January 25th and Kim’s was the 23rd. So I hope everyone keeps to their due dates.
      Adele, I wonder if Heather picked up the mirsa infection in the hospital. I know that can happen as there are lots of germs there.
      It’s so good that you had that stair lift installed. It is really coming in handy.
      I have definitely heard of using hot wax on arthritic hands. My Dad used to have it done in the hospital but now they have units that you can use at home. Our friend with bad arthritis has one. It’s relief is kind of limited but it is worth a try as everyone is different.
      Watched the DWTS Halloween show last night. I always enjoy that show. It makes me miss Mark Ballas and his creativity. I have read that the pros have less input this year on music and costuming for the dances. I can’t remember where I read that. I have also read that Sean and Hannah both have huge fan bases so they will probably be around for awhile. The only way that I can think of to fix the whole process is to not have the public vote at all. Have each weeks eliminations based on judges points so the truly best dancers stay in and then maybe once it is down to about four dancers let the public vote. That would insure that not one of the really bad dancers gets through to the final or to possibly win. It has now turned into a popularity contest and the best dancer no longer wins. If you have a lot of followers on twitter or Instagram or whatever you can get lots of votes whether you are any good or not.
      We had a wonderful visit with Brent. He has a new girl that he is dating so I just hope he takes it slow and doesn’t jump into anything too quickly and end up getting his heart broken again. We went to a lot of different museums, went to a couple of casinos and tried a lot of different restaurants and had lots of fun. We went to the Oklahoma City Memorial and Museum as I just felt being in the city we should honor it’s people by acknowledging what happened there. It was very sad but I’m glad that we went as they did a beautiful job on the Memorial and the museum. Plus Brent was only 14 when the bombing happened so it was pretty informative for him. I was very moved by everything that we saw and heard there.
      Here’s something funny. One night we went to Toby Keith’s restaurant for dinner. So as we were finishing up Greg says-I wonder why an Australian has a restaurant in Oklahoma. So Brent and I start cracking up. The whole time Greg thought the restaurant was named after Keith Urban and he did not even know who Toby Keith was-even though there were pictures of him all over the place-I wonder who Greg thought that guy was?
      Brent’s part of New Mexico had some snow while we were in Oklahoma. Meeting there was such a good idea and gave us so much more to do than going to Portales-so I think we will keep meeting up different places each year. It’s always hard to leave on the last day, but I did keep myself from crying on the trip home. It’s so bittersweet-and now that I am older when you only see someone once a year you wonder how many more visits you will have with them-even though I do plan on bugging my kids into my 90’s. lol
      I just looked out the window and the front yard has a whole bunch of turkeys. In a few weeks you won’t be able to find them anywhere. They know Thanksgiving is coming. lol
      Gail

• Anonymous
      Inactive

Welcome back Gail. Glad you had a nice time. How is Brent doing? Is he feeling any better?

I guess my door is as fixed as it is going to be. All he did was remove the plate as the dead bolt was hitting it & would not slide into place. So now it slides over but there is a lot of space around it that leaves in cold. I told him but he didn’t care. He did nothing to the other latch that should keep it closed but doesn’t. He even took the metal plate with him. I even ask about that as I thought maybe it could be put back on but he took it. I told & showed him were all the doors are sinking. My coat closet door scrapes & leaves a mark on the floor. I guess he does not mind the damage done by not doing repairs. Luke looked at my light above the sink when he took out the AC & he discovered a plastic piece is broken off so that needs replaced but it seems everyone wants to collect rent but not fix things.

I like those David’s cookies for me because then I don’t need to make a lot for only me. I will make my own at Christmas when I make them to give away.

I am so fed up with the voting on DWTS. I guess the only way to solve the problem is if the public does not vote. As Sean has had low scores the entire time & is not improving yet he never has been in the bottom two. It is just not fair to good dancers to get sent home because their fan base is not as big. I know Bachelor nation is large but I thought everyone was sick of Hannah. They said they did not know she could walk as she jumped all over the guys & wrapped her legs around like a monkey & let them carry her. Also I guess I am old fashioned but she bragged on TV how she had sex 3 times in the fantasy suite with the one guy & his parents were sitting in the audience & I think hers too. I know they most all have sex in the fantasy suite but to brag about it is in poor taste to me.

I guess I had a burst of energy yesterday as I was cleaning & running the sweeper. I washed the windows . And put away clothes I had washed on Saturday as they were dry. I think the bright sunny day worked wonders as now we are back to dark & dreary. We are to have rain from tomorrow until sometime on Friday. Then it is to get very cold again Lows in the 20’s & 40’s as highs. Sorry you have snow Gail I am kind of glad this batch of percipation is just rain. I know we are in for a bad winter but would be very happy with no snow or ice.

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Those horrible East winds have arrived & it’s COLD!! If we had any moisture we’d be under a foot of snow, I swear! The gusts are like 45-50 mph. Hopefully they won’t last very long. I HATE THEM.
      I ordered one of those humidifiers & have it on right now. I hope I notice a difference in my nose soon. this isn’t the same humidifier I had growing up.
      Adele, I’m surprized you don’t have one of those gadgets Chef Tony presents that dice vegs, fruits, etc into different sizes. I don’t know the name of it but it would cut your prep time in half. You’ve seen em on ITKWD several times I’m sure. I’d get one but I don’t cook as much as you do. You could sit at your kitchen table & prep as much as you need, not standing all that time. Just a thought.

Gail, I’m glad your trip went so well for you. That was funny about your hubby not knowing whose restaurant he was in. That’s a great idea to meet half way between you & your son. you can see so much that way.
      Oh I saw Critt today & he seems in better spirits. He was having his kitchen sink worked on, so I made a remark about ‘his pipes.
      Guess I better go get dinner.
      talk to ya later.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Colleen
      Participant

Hi Gail,
      Welcome home to the cold weather. We are supposed to have snow here on Halloween also. It won’t matter here because we do not have any kids that come here. That is the only bad thing about living in the country. We are not going to trunk or treat this year either. It is just going to be too cold.
      I thought that it was funny that Greg got the country singers mixed up. It must have really been weird to him since they did not have any Australian food on the menu. It is fun to go to different restaurants and taste different types of food.
      I wonder how those girls can wear those tops. It would seem like it would hurt the baby being in something that tight. I wonder why they have started to wear things like that. They even wear jeans and that would have really been a no no when we were carrying our children.
      That would be funny if Brook had the baby on your mom’s birthday. I think that it is Adele’s birthday on that day also. It will be interesting to hear if Marissa’s baby is born earlier then they thought.
      I agree that they need to change the voting on dwts. It just is not fair. It should not be a popularity contest it should just be rated on their dancing. It is getting crazy the way they boo the judges when they comment on the dancing. That is what they are there for. They are doing it to all the judges now and not just Len.
      That was a good idea to meet Brent in a different place. You really will get to see a lot of different places. We may have to start doing that with Melissa. They will be moving in Feb. to another place in Tennessee. I think the name of the place is Maryville. He will still be a recruiter. They will be closer to Pigeon Forge though.
      The turkeys were glad to see that you were back. They all came to greet you. We have not seen any turkey yet this year but a lot of deer. This is a bad time for them to go out onto the road and a lot of them get hit. It is really kind of sad.
      How did you like his new girl that he is dating? Maybe he will go slower this time and give himself time to get to know her and be sure she is what he wants. It is hard to say good bye to the kids when you leave. I really wish that Melissa would move closer to home but will not to be able to until they retire.
      Well that is about all from here. Thank-you for the prayers . Have a great night.
      Colleen

• Colleen
      Participant

Hi DD,
      This weather got really cold fast. We may get some snow here. It is really kind of early to have that happen here. We always wait until November or sometimes January. This is really strange weather.
      I am glad that you knew the name of the man who sold the food chopper. Adele needs something like that to help her cook and not hurt her shoulder. She will never stop cooking she enjoys it too much.
      I am glad to hear that Critt is doing better. How is your niece? I hope that she is doing better also. This has been a bad time for illness this year.
      Colleen

• Dianne Danielson
      Participant

Hi Ladies,
      HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
      Just a quick note to let ya know there’s a Halloween QF show today on Q2. It’s a Halloween party with Antonella as host, on 3 pm ET. I hope you can get it. I’m pretty sure if you go to the Q website, & click on QVC on TV then click on Q2 you can watch it live. I also heard XFinity has added Q2 to its programming.
      If you have Amazon Prime video you can get it, I do.
      Have a great day.
      Beware of all the spooks & goblins tonight.
      dd

Attachments:
    • Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi DD,
      Thanks for the heads up. We have dish net and they carry Q2. Has anyone noticed that most of the Quacker shows are on Q2 now?
      I really worry about the future of QVC what with them now showing repeats overnight on the main channel during what should be a very busy shopping time of year. Plus they just no longer carry many of the unusual things that they carried in years gone by. Programming is very stale and repetitive.
      Glad that Critt seems to be feeling better.
      Happy Halloween everyone.
      Gail

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Sue,
      Happy snowy Halloween! It has snowed here all morning long. I feel bad for the kids treat or treating with mittens and boots. We used to go with and help Jenny when the kids were younger because Adam was at work and couldn’t help. Now that they are older they don’t need help anymore. Thank goodness for that on a day like today. I just want to sip hot chocolate! lol
      Brent is feeling better. Thank you for asking. However the ulcerative colitis needs to be addressed as that bothers him-but he is doing better after the heart ablation.
      I like the David’s cookies as I am lazy in my old age and they are so easy and good. Our grocery store used to sell bags of premade cookie dough to cook but they discontinued that-that’s when I went on a google search and found David’s. I wonder if I can find something like that at Costco.
      It’s too bad Greg isn’t your land lord-he is so good about always fixing things that are broken in the apartments. He wouldn’t feel right if he just ignored the tenants.
      I have never watched the bachelor so I don’t know anything about those people or what goes on on the shows. The whole premise seems kind of silly to me-like you are going to find a life partner after knowing them for a month on a TV show. Plus I understand now people just want to get on the show to promote themselves and whatever it is that they do-basically to try and become famous. We have become a nation of attention hogs. lol I guess I am just old because I just don’t get it. lol

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      We don’t get any trick or treaters here either. I do miss seeing the little ones in their costumes-but tonight no one will even see the costumes as the kids will have boots and hats and winter coats and mittens on. It has snowed all morning. Greg will have to put the plow on the truck earlier than he expected. That is always such a chore for him.
      They always warn on the news that November is rutting season for the deer so we need to watch out as they will be running across the road more often.
      Did I tell you about the deer by my friends house in Wisconsin. There is an albino one that comes around by their house and there is also one with only three legs. she is amazing. I think she was born that way and she has even had a baby! I always worry about her each year and hope she doesn’t get shot during hunting season after managing to survive so well in the wild with only three legs.
      It’s hard to know much about Brent’s new girl friend yet as we saw her picture and said hi to her with Facetime. She was not with him on this trip and we were not where he lives.
      Hopefully some day Stephen and Melissa will get assigned some place closer to where you live. It will be kind of hard for Ethan and Kaylee to move again and change schools. I hope they won’t mind too much.
      Gail

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      Well, we found out it was not MRSA- it was a stepp infection. It is almost gone. The diagnosis of the nerve in the leg is “Peroneal Nerve Palsy”. If you google it, it can take form 4 to 6 months to heal, and there is no guarantee the leg will totally come back. We are praying for the best result for her.
      The parafin wax gets put into a machine/container that heats the wax. You then put your hand it to cover it with the warm wax, then put the hand in a plastic bag and a material cover over that. It is supposed to be nice an warm, and comforting. We shall see….LOL
      I am glad Critt is better. I, like you, hope he is telling you the truth. It is so awful when someone struggles with depression.
      I hope your weather is better by now. It has been raining here all week.
      Have a good night!
      Adele
      PS….I did finally get the shot in the knee. Two more to go.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Colleen
      Well, she does not have MRSA- it is a strep infection. Her face is almost back to normal. Just a little bit of pink on one cheek. Heather’s diagnosis is” Peroneal Nerve Palsy”. It can take form 4 to 6 weeks to heal, and no guarantee it will.
      Heather has a different PT person. She will have PT 3 times a week.
      I hope your stomach stops bothering you. That is just not fun! Belly pain is awful, as you never know when it will hit you.
      I will add another prayer for your belly to get better!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Gailster!
      So glad you are back. Please read the posts to the girls for the updated Heather info. Not MRSA- step. She did get it at the hospital.
      Heather will be here for a while. Since it looks like a long haul, God only knows what will happen.
      Glad you had a good visit with Brent. I hope the new girlfriend is nice to him, and will not break his heart.
      It is very hard when you can see him only once a year. At our ages we do wonder about that a lot. Will we make another Halloween??? I hoe so, as this one got all screwed up. I can’t get down to see the kids coming, because on my way up from the shot yesterday, I hurt the left shoulder on the first set of stairs. Tillie and Bobby are handing out the bags I made for the trick or treaters……LOL I am hoping I do not have to get the second stair lift….LOL
      We have so many prayers for all our Quacker friends. What is up with that??
      I am also not thrilled with the voting on DWTS. It has become a popularity contest.
      Hope it is not too snowy tonight out there!!
      Have a good Halloween!!
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      I am so sorry your new landlord does not seem to be much better than the old one. I am praying that the repair he did will hold through any storm the winter may throw at you. I don’t know how people can live with themselves. I bet his house is in tip top shape, and the renters who support his lifestyle should have the same quality in their apartments.
      I feel the same way about DWTS. It is not about the quality of the dances anymore, and that is not right. You can see how the judges feel, when the good ones are voted off. It is not right.
      Please read the posts I wrote before for all the news here, as it is getting late and I need to get into the recliner. I will answer the pther posts tomorrow.
      Hope you had a good Halloween!!
      Adele

• Gail Norusis
      Participant

Starting a new discussion for November. See you all there.

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hi DD
      I am glad you were able to see Critt, and make him laugh. I now how much you care for him. He is such a good man, and it is sad he is dealing with so much.
      I cannot operate those cutting things, where you have to push down on them. I have no strength in my hands…..LOL I do have an electric one that you put the veggies into the tube, and press down on the tube to get them cut. You will think this is funny…….I have not taken it out as the last time I did it , it was quite an effort to push on that too….LOL I will take it out when either Gary or Heather is near me, so they can help, as Heather still has the use of her arms. the only thing I made from scratch this week is the soup. Next week, I need to get my crap together and do more cooking. This week, it has been adjusting to Heather and her needs, and visitors, and the organizing/ calls for the shower.
      I plan to get the Halloween decorations put away on Monday….I hope!
      I know you are way ahead of me- your Christmas ones are going up….go DD!!
      We had the wind you had this week. It was a very noisy night!
      Hope your weather is better today.
      Adele

• adele shanbar
      Participant

Hey DD
      I never got a chance to watch the show. I hope you had a good Halloween, and some cute trick or treaters!
      Adele

Viewing 141 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Email this to someone
email

Share this with a Smile
X Close
Watch QVC
top finds links QVC LIVE QVC PLUS QVC UK